HBA1C Result today

Pogel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am really pleased with my HBA1C result. 4.9. My cholesterol was slightly raised last time but this time it is totally fine. I am over 5 stone lighter than when I was diagnosed with diabetes in October 2016.
Only thing to look at now (without medication hopefully) is my blood pressure is raised, it was 150/90 so I am researching how to do this. Any tips gratefully received.

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Smashing numbers, keep it up and hope your bp soon shows great numbers, too.

Reactions: Prem51 and Pogel

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No advice on blood pressure from me, I'm afraid, @Pogel , but WOW on your results! Brilliant!
:happy:

Reactions: Pogel

Pogel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all, all down to fantastic support from you folks here and my amazing family.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blood pressures seems to be very difficult to measure accurately, due possibly to white coat syndrome or non-ideal conditions, I have been "told-off" for sitting with my legs crossed or speaking during the test. I had a test that was 153/90 and another that was 127/74 a couple of days later. If you are worried about it, try to borrow from your doctor a portable monitor to do a 24 hour test.

Pogel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply. My blood pressure tester arrived today. I sat and relaxed for 5 mins as suggested and it read 149/80 so I will do a few tests over the next week before I see the nurse next. Mainly I am not getting stressed about it, going to take it in my stride :)

Blood pressures seems to be very difficult to measure accurately, due possibly to white coat syndrome or non-ideal conditions, I have been "told-off" for sitting with my legs crossed or speaking during the test. I had a test that was 153/90 and another that was 127/74 a couple of days later. If you are worried about it, try to borrow from your doctor a portable monitor to do a 24 hour test.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Blood pressure improves with losing weight and exercise that leaves you breathless for a short time. It is also possible you are eating too much salt but unlikely if you cook all of your own food.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on a fantastic Hba1c score and normal lipid levels.

As already suggested, if concerned ask doctor to be put on a 24 hour monitor to get an Idea of how your blood pressure varies continuously during a 24 hour period

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I no longer have my bp measured at my gp practice, because it always goes up there. My bp is pretty labile in any case, I have had experience of it being 160/90 or even higher, and then 5-10 minutes later 140/70 or even lower, on very many occasions. So now I monitor it myself at home, but I still usually disregard the first reading, as I am often slightly anxious about what it's going to be, so guess what ... up it goes!

Pogel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply. We do cook all of our food ourselves I do have some quorn or some veggie sausages, but not much of those to be honest.
I don't add any salt to cooking or to my dinner but I do eat a very large amount of olives. I have cut these right down over the last week as I wondered if that could be part of the problem so I will wait and see.

I am still losing weight so as you say that should help but I will keep an eye on it for now.

Blood pressure improves with losing weight and exercise that leaves you breathless for a short time. It is also possible you are eating too much salt but unlikely if you cook all of your own food.

Pogel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am always so stressed out when I attend a medical appointment it is no wonder it goes up. I plan on doing a few days of testing at different times of the day and see what I come up with.

I no longer have my bp measured at my gp practice, because it always goes up there. My bp is pretty labile in any case, I have had experience of it being 160/90 or even higher, and then 5-10 minutes later 140/70 or even lower, on very many occasions. So now I monitor it myself at home, but I still usually disregard the first reading, as I am often slightly anxious about what it's going to be, so guess what ... up it goes!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done on your reductions @Pogel!
The NHS gudelines recommend that blood pressure levels for T2 diabetics should be 130/80 or below. My GP and DN thought that mine were too high with the lower figure at around 85 when I was tested at the surgery. But I got a BP monitor and when I test at home my lower figures are generally between 66-76. The top figure is generally between 110-130.
I realised that my morning mug of strong coffee raised my bp to over 80, and as my surgery appointments are usually first thing in the morning, this caused the higher readings.
I do walk for at least one hour every day, and I think this helps reduce my bp.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Prem51 with your one hour walk, if you are able, walk as fast as you can for a few minutes, then normal speed until your heart has recovered repeating as often as you can in your one hour

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I realised that my morning mug of strong coffee raised my bp to over 80, and as my surgery appointments are usually first thing in the morning, this caused the higher readings.
I used to work as a midwife, and i noticed that if i did a woman's bp after she'd had a cigarette or a cup of coffee, it was always higher than at other times. personally, if i want to measure my own bp, i always do it before i have my first cup of coffee. if i forget, i leave it till the next day - i don't see any point in feeding my own tendencies towards anxiety unnecessarily. i don't smoke, so cigarette aren't an issue for me in this regard.

Reactions: Pogel and Prem51

Pogel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Only thing to look at now (without medication hopefully) is my blood pressure is raised, it was 150/90 so I am researching how to do this. Any tips gratefully received.

Pleased to report that the last two days my blood pressure is 124/77. Not quite perfect but seems to be going in the right direction at least.