GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes Insulin Adjustment for Normal Eating

Hello guys:)

So I finished my final day of the DIANE course and would just like to say that I was very impressed.

The course I attended is very similar to the DAFNE course (which you'll hear about regularly on the forum) although is has a different acronym for good reason.

Many thanks to the DSN and Dietician who ran our course in Aberdeen, they were superb. The 4 days were very enjoyable, well structured and beneficial. It was also great to meet other T1's from the local area, and to learn from their first hand experience.

For those in the Moray area who would be interested in attending, or would like to know more about the course, details can be found in my link below. On the Moray Diabetes UK site:

https://moray.diabetesukgroup.org/news/diabetes-courses-for-t1-in-moray

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I bet it was nice to be around other diabetics. That's one thing about this: you're sort of alone with it. Sure, your family gets it, you can't eat this, you take insulin, you could get low and act goofy or even go out. . But they don't have it. I have a good friend whose kid has it but I don't know the kid at all. I don't know anyone personally who has it, never have.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I bet it was nice to be around other diabetics. That's one thing about this: you're sort of alone with it. Sure, your family gets it, you can't eat this, you take insulin, you could get low and act goofy or even go out. . But they don't have it. I have a good friend whose kid has it but I don't know the kid at all. I don't know anyone personally who has it, never have.

Luckily for me, though not so lucky for him, my brother had it for 33 years before I succumbed. His support has been invaluable. It also helped me in that I had been quite involved with a lot of his ups and downs over the years.

Reactions: Dodo and himtoo

5uzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks, I'm also in aberdeen and I'm hoping to get on this course soon! I was diagnosed in October last year and I believe I have to wait a year to get into this?
I've been fine with the carb counting for months, but now I think my honeymoon period is over and taking the control of my pancreas (lazy ****** that it is) is proving tough to figure out the ratios as they have changed so much! With my numbers running around 10 most days and nights
Do I need to wait for an invite to take part in the DIANE course?
Any advice much appreciated

Reactions: GrantGam and himtoo

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks, I'm also in aberdeen and I'm hoping to get on this course soon! I was diagnosed in October last year and I believe I have to wait a year to get into this?
I've been fine with the carb counting for months, but now I think my honeymoon period is over and taking the control of my pancreas (lazy ****** that it is) is proving tough to figure out the ratios as they have changed so much! With my numbers running around 10 most days and nights
Do I need to wait for an invite to take part in the DIANE course?
Any advice much appreciated
Fit like @5uzie?:)

As I understand, there is no invitation to the carbohydrate course. It's typically something recommended by your DSN/Diabetologist. I didn't know there was a wait of a year post DX for this course, but it's likely the next course won't be running until after October anyway. I'd give the DIANE Administrator a ring directly on the number found in the link, that will definitely set the ball rolling:)

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I agree with @GrantGam
chase your DSN ( better yet -- get that lazy pancreas to do it - it 's not doing much else these days ) :D:D

I hope you get on the course soon !!
all the best !!

Reactions: Dodo