Finger Pricking Advice - avoid pain!

cumbria-pumper

I see a lot of threads where people talk about lots of pain from finger pricking. I do wonder how people are taught to do it. Nurses nearly always get it wrong.

So I hope this post may help people to avoid excessive discomfort.

The correct techniques is: don't prick the tip (or pad) of the finger, use the side. This is way less painful.

Also, please ensure you get the depth correct! Try the smallest setting and gradually increase until you get enough blood.

I've been testing using the side of my finger, 4-8 times per day, for years and don't have any lasting pain. Very rarely will any test hurt at all - (although once in a while the pricker depth has changed accidentally and then it hurts if too deep - ouch!!!)

Hope this helps.

Reactions: himtoo
D

Deleted Account

In addition, I regularly change the fingers I prick to avoid a build up of bruising (even on the side of my finger).
I do this by splitting my day into four (I use meals to break up the day) and use one finger for each period and then use left hand for odd dates and right hand for even dates.

Most of the time this works fine. However, as I have Raynauds, there are times when my fingers refuse to give up blood and I *may* get a little frustrated and push harder which increases the chance of bruising wherever the prick goes in.

cumbria-pumper

In addition, I regularly change the fingers I prick to avoid a build up of bruising (even on the side of my finger).
I do this by splitting my day into four (I use meals to break up the day) and use one finger for each period and then use left hand for odd dates and right hand for even dates.

Most of the time this works fine. However, as I have Raynauds, there are times when my fingers refuse to give up blood and I *may* get a little frustrated and push harder which increases the chance of bruising wherever the prick goes in.

Yes rotating fingers is essential. I sometimes forget which hand I'm using so thanks for tip on odd/even dates. If only I could remember the date?!

Also the little finger gives blood more easily so I use that when cold and in the morning before the blood starts pumping around the system!

I rarely use my first finger. I think the skin's a bit tougher and maybe more nerves as well?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on the libre now, so I don't prick nearly as much as before, but when I was testing about twelve times a day I used a finger for each day. Not using the thumb, that gave my fingers six days to heal before I abused them again. Right pinky was the lucky finger which only got used when my last prick was particularly painful and I didn't want to use the finger for that day for the next prick.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is recommended to change the lancet after every prick The tip of the lancet is no longer at its optimum sharpness with repeated use. Neither is it sterile.

D

Deleted member 308541

I use a Accu-Chek Multiclix lancing device which is pain free to use.

D

Deleted member 308541

The Multiclix device is being discontinued in December 2017. Accu-chek are providing free upgrades to the FastClix finger Pricker.

https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/
I have already got another brand new Multiclix for a spare, the pharmacy I go to here in Australia has a fair amount on display. I also have two Fastclix which are not as user friendly.