Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Hi,
I do a fair amount of running , at least twice per week at a race pace between 7-9 km's. I've only missed 4 runs this year when I pulled my back before Easter, so I'm not a novice or by any means unfit. My weight is perfect for my height and age.

Recently I've been experiencing side sticthes on the right side every time I run, normally starting at around 5 km mark or when I attempt to up the pace. The only way to stop the pain is to simply stop running, continuing exacerbates it. I always run in the early / late morning so I don't have a lot of food digesting in the stomach.

It happened during a recent race, I kept going but almost fainted at the finish line :-(

I thought it might be appendix related but the doctor dismissed this theory and thought it was more likely to be a muscle strain.

Anyone have any experiences or advice on this ?

D

Deleted Account

A friend used to run. He moved from Sydney to Northern Queensland and started to experience stitches when running.
After some investigation, he discovered this was due to a shortage of salt - it was hotter in Queensland so he was sweating more.
Is it worthwhile checking out your salt intake?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Thanks all for the replies and info.

@helensaramay, salt is something I haven't considered thanks. I sweat a lot during my running training and if I'm not running then I'm cycling and sweating even more :-0. How long did it take your friend to see an improvement after upping the salt intake ?

D

Deleted Account

@helensaramay, salt is something I haven't considered thanks. I sweat a lot during my running training and if I'm not running then I'm cycling and sweating even more :-0. How long did it take your friend to see an improvement after upping the salt intake ?
It was some time ago so I don't remember the exact details.
However, I think he saw an improvement pretty fast.
I guess it will take a bit of trial and error to work out how much salt you need: I think my friend just drank very dilute salt water ... if you add a bit of squash or something you shouldn't taste the salt.