Forgetting background insulin

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guys, let's keep this civil and concentrate on the OP's position.

I'm not a T1, @bigboi , so can't add any personal experience here, but whatever you decide to do, but I'd tend to agree with @claire1991 that frequent testing is both worthwhile and important.

Please do test loads, and set an alarm to test during the night, to allow you to react promptly if things aren't going in the desired direction.

Fingers crossed for you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys im not 100% sure if i done my lantus background insulin or not :( im sitting quite high right now but i had a carby tea and have took correction units.. Any advice on what to do through the night? Thank you!

Hi @bigboi ,

You've taken a correction. This could take 4 or 5 hours to work?

Caution. If you don't know if you've taken basal? (I've messed up like this from time to time, others have too!.) then leave it till the morning..
Assuming you do your lantus before bed?
Find out what your FBG is? If it's astronomically high? Then what I do is deduct about a quarter dose of my background, (Lantus.) & inject it in the morning.. Testing more regularly through the day...
Others have documented just half the dose come morning, in this scenario....

Hope this helps?

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys im not 100% sure if i done my lantus background insulin or not :( im sitting quite high right now but i had a carby tea and have took correction units.. Any advice on what to do through the night? Thank you!
Short acting works for about 4 hrs. Set an alarm for every 3 hrs overnight, check BG and correct as normal. This will manage levels sufficiently. It will be pretty obvious by morning if you did forget your long acting. You can then safely take a half dose of long acting (i'm assuming you normally take long acting in evenings of course.)

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Short acting works for about 4 hrs. Set an alarm for every 3 hrs overnight, check BG and correct as normal. This will manage levels sufficiently. It will be pretty obvious by morning if you did forget your long acting. You can then safely take a half dose of long acting (i'm assuming you normally take long acting in evenings of course.)

Thanks @steve_p6 ,

I see your a half doser... :cool: Normally depends when I realized when I forgot?!
"Routines" can easily be taken for granted...
If would certainly keep a close eye on that correction...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bigboi - I see you've had several responses now. I'll only add that if overnight you are concerned about anything, then a call to 111 might help ease your mind.

Fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: SimonCrox

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @steve_p6 ,

I see your a half doser... :cool: Normally depends when I realized when I forgot?!
"Routines" can easily be taken for granted...
If would certainly keep a close eye on that correction...
That's diabetes for you @Jaylee , it always depends on something! I just simply wouldn't take the extra half dose and then go to bed, that's a recipe for disaster.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I once had a double dose of background.... I'd forgotten I'd already had it and did it again! I ate extra slow acting carbs and tested twice in the night, I expected to have a hypo at some point but strangely enough in my case the additional dose did very little. I sympathise, as I've sometimes accidentally had rapid instead of background at bed time.... That was a problem, it was 10 units.