Miserable....

Tanis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just coming up to my first year as type 2. Got check-up next Monday. Weight loss over the year 2 stone. I seem stuck at this weight now. I stopped daily testing some months ago as the results were always the same, 5-8, i was happy with that.
The one problem i do have though is that for the past 2 months i have had a very sore tongue, it burns when i eat anything and stays with me for hours. Nothing to see so i dont think it is thrush. Its like having burnt your tongue on hot food permanently and its making me really miserable. Anyone got any ideas?

Reactions: ickihun and zand

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Well done on the weight loss, 28lbs is not to be sniffed at. I always reckon that you have to sneak up on losing weight by eating enough and not to much to maintain weight and then suddenly reduce calories, only a theory though.

I would strongly recommend going to see a GP about the sore tongue. It could be lots of things.

Reactions: Tanis

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree about getting the sore tongue checked out, but maybe a dentist could help too, they are experts on tongues as well as teeth. That's where I usually start with any problems from the neck up.

Yes well done on the weight loss. :)

Reactions: Tanis
S

serenity648

sore tongue can be linked to a B12 deficiency - are you on any medication? Your doctor can test you for a deficiency. It can also be menopausal. Your doctor is your best port of call for this.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just copied this from google. Are you on Metformin because that has been known to cause a B12 deficiency ?

Less commonly, tongue pain may be caused by: a viral infection – such as an infection that causes hand, foot and mouth disease or cold sores. vitamindeficiencies and anaemia – a sore tongue can sometimes be a symptom of irondeficiency anaemia and vitamin B12 or folate deficiency anaemia

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Have you had a viral infection at all? or any antibiotics as these things can cause the tongue to be sore or can be a nerve problem. As others have said best go to the GP as they may be able to give you something for it. I remember having a sore tongue this came actually at the back end of the viral infection, also when I had antibiotics on another occasion made my tongue sore

Reactions: Serena51 and Freema

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
sore tongue can be linked to a B12 deficiency - are you on any medication? Your doctor can test you for a deficiency. It can also be menopausal. Your doctor is your best port of call for this.
Yes it can

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ya go see Dr. if you havent about this , could be many things why suffer if a Dr. can help , sorry you are dealing with this.

Reactions: Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
as people are saying here it can be caused by a lot of reasons... also could be a fungi infection , which can be very hurtfull.. so please see a doctor they are the only ones that can give you the right diagnosis..
by the way most that stop measuring blood glucose slowly slide upwards into a high blood glucose... so I would also advice you to at least one time weekly to measure your blood glucose ..

Last edited:

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My situation may well be different to yours, but one of my main symptoms of diabetes before diagnosis was that my tongue used to hurt like crazy (it would also split and bleed): I actually checked with a dentist and a doctor to see if it was some sort of tongue cancer- neither of them could find anything, but it utterly disappeared once I got my blood sugars back on track.
I agree with the posters above that the first thing to do is get it checked out- it could be anything, but I can tell you that blood sugars could conceivably be a factor, or at least they were in my case. In any event, don't worry about it: get it professionally checked and then take matters forward from that point. Wish you all the best with it- I know it's not easy.

Reactions: Prem51 and Tanis

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had yearly bloods done and am down to 42. Cholesterol up from 3 to 4 although i am on Statins. Thank you all for your advice re sore tongue. Will see my Dr. soon. They are always booked up!

Well done on your bloods, great stuff. Your HCPs must have been happy with that.
Just out of interest, what was their reaction to your slightly raised cholesterol? I am trying to understand a bit more about this as mine were raised but I refused to take statins. Seems to me to be a shift in thinking in some quarters about the relative danger of raised cholesterol. For example it's not the TC figure, nor even necessarily the HDL / LDL ratio as there are more than one type of LDLs.

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sister died when I was 12, she was 10. She suffered from terrible " sore tongue syndrome " ( not an official condition, just what I choose to call it ) for a few months. Every night she would coat her tongue with butter using her finger to target specifically sore areas. She started doing this in January and by March it was all cleared up. It's not an instant fix but a non medicated treatment that won't aid your weight loss in any way whatsoever, but may cure your poor sore tongue.

Reactions: Serena51 and Freema

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please see a doctor or dentist about your tongue - my brother had oral cancer on his tongue a few years ago and you need to get it checked just in case. Hopefully it's nothing sinister - but you need to know.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The tongue is the window to the organs.
An integrative approach: In Chinese medicine, the tongue is considered to be the window to total body health. A Chinese medicine practitioner will take a thorough lifestyle history, a medical history, and then the first element of the body that is examined is the tongue. Integrative medicine practitioners do link the tongue to other areas of the body such as the liver, heart, bladder, spleen, and intestines. Many organs are associated with key areas of the tongue.
Also
Electrolyte imbalances in saliva and mild hemolytic abnormalities (anemia) have been noted as well (Eisen and Lynch, 1998).

Jonman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
There is a condition called burnt tongue syndrome which it may well be. Pretty harmless but painful nonetheless. Dr will be able to tell you. Good luck.

Reactions: Prem51 and Tanis

Tanis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done on your bloods, great stuff. Your HCPs must have been happy with that.
Just out of interest, what was their reaction to your slightly raised cholesterol? I am trying to understand a bit more about this as mine were raised but I refused to take statins. Seems to me to be a shift in thinking in some quarters about the relative danger of raised cholesterol. For example it's not the TC figure, nor even necessarily the HDL / LDL ratio as there are more than one type of LDLs.
Raised cholesterol may be because i eat more meat now, I dont know. As long as its not over 5 ! I see the Diabetes Nurse next week so i have not had a reaction yet

Reactions: Prem51