Constipation...again

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Hello everyone,

Since going on low carb (not going over 50 grams a day) I have solved my insulin issue and now well controlled again but it meant going low carb also coming off the pump and returning back to injections. But since going low carb i am plagued by constipation (sorry folks). I eat full fat things like bacon, full fat greek yoghurt and drink enough, use flax seed but no luck so far. I don't want to use laxatives as this will make the whole thing worse over time. Any natural remedies available? Does anyone recognize this?

Love to hear from you;)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @maria030660 Yes I too was suffering from this earlier this year, it lasted a couple of months so after a visit to the GP I was prescribed Fybogel, which worked a treat - there is a sugar free version too, it contains Ispaghula husk. It worked for me :)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When my husband had a spell of constipation he was taking Ducolax which did not really work very well and the the doctor said she did not want him taking that any way and she gave him Cosmocol you dissolve it in water and drink it. Did the trick for him now he only needs to uses it very occasionally. Do not know if you can buy it over the counter though

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I realise that this is indelicate but he we're talking about poo anyway... how many times did you go before and how many times do you go now..I poo much less because what I'm eating is used by my body rather than being excreted..just a thought.. unless you aren't going at all it could be that because you are eating less cr*p you cr*p less?

Last edited by a moderator:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And if you really get stuck buy some magnesium citrate... but be careful one teaspoon may be enough to cause eruptions...

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Well not less but more and more difficult to get out and painful too;)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well not less but more and more difficult to get out and painful too;)

OK in that case maybe try some magnesium.. milk of magnesia may have the same effect but I find the magnesium citrate is extremely effective.. just don't worry about the black poo... that's a side effect.

Mary.t

Type of diabetes
HCP
I take 2 dessert spoons of linseed twice a day and 2 teaspoons of ispaghula husk twice a day. I buy them on line from whole foods direct, much cheaper than the high street

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to my local health food shop yesterday (Green Ginger, Corsham) and they recommended Slimatee. An infusion of Frangula & Senna in a tea bag. Have a cuppa before bed and hey presto, 100% effective this morning. No panic just worked.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maria030660 - What you describe can be due to a bit of mild dehydration. When we go low carb we sometimes need to up the liquids.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You may need to increase your salt intake. Firstly it is likely you are now getting less salt due to avoiding process food, also the research shows the people eating low carb needs a little more salt. A low level of salt often results in mild dehydration.

Trying having a stock cube in a mug of water 2 times a day for a week to see if it helps. Bone Broth with as much salt as you are happy with is better, but a stock cube is good enough. About 40 minutes after taking the salt, drink at least one glass of water, the salt will help your body hold onto the water.

Chuckannuck

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Drink more (water). Five a day veggies. Magnesium citrate.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I first started low carbing I found it took a couple of weeks of being slightly constipated before my body adjusted to its new regime.

Definitely drink plenty of water! I also find that eating enough fibre is necessary too - so for me plenty of veggies and nuts. And usually enough fats helps "ease matters"...

But I'd also agree with @bulkbiker's less in - less out comment too if it was purely a frequency issue....

Robbity

Reactions: bulkbiker

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup I'm with bulk biker. Smaller quantity. I personally do NOT do at all well with fiber. Especially all those seeds listed. I'm bloating and digestion had stopped just thinking about it.
I don't 'go' everyday but I never have. But I also don't feel like I have to.

Milk of mag works in times of trouble but beware, it can empty you out and you'll feel worse. Start with one tablespoon. Mag citrate is sugar water so not for me. The plain or mint ( I think mint but I know plain) MOM is no sugar. Problem is I'm so empty my stomach growls for two days.