A doctor awakens..

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
A yout tube presentation uploaded by Ivor Cummins. Worth the watch indeed..

Published on Oct 9, 2017
Do you want to know the cheapest, simplest method for resolving Type 2 Diabetes and Obesity? A method which empowers and motivates the patient to save themselves - without being pickled with pharmaceuticals?
Well then you need to listen to the doctor who figured it out some years back, and is saving people left, right and centre. And these people love him for it - as well they should.
Humble and elegant, possessed of an enormous technical ability that can deploy new scientific understandings...to push back the tsunami of diabetes, obesity and CVD in our society.
He rather reminds me of Professor John Yudkin. But Yudkin was beaten back through no fault of his own. Whereas David will prevail.

Because David is supported by an army. A fighting force which will win this battle against disease-breeding foods for once and for all.

"Call us legion...for we are many."

Last edited:
Reactions: LucySW and Biggles2

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you for the link, I feel like passing it onto my own HCPs who told me I 'would regret not taking one little tablet a day when I was going blind'. It was only a long journey to work, the probable side effects of Metformin and finding this website with the LCHF message that stopped me following the herd. It has revived my enthusiasm for spreading the message and how this might be projected.

Reactions: LucySW and TIANDB

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have no problem with taking Metformin for life, as I don't get the commonside effects, I would recomend anyone to try Metformin for a few weeks as the side effect often stop after a weak or so. However I am also 100% into LCHF and expect to be able to keep by BG at none diabatic levels for life with no addational drugs.

Why choose between the two best options when you can use both......

Reactions: Robbity and TIANDB

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Unwin is a member here and has been for over 4 years. There are lots of YouTube videos of him talking about his work with T2 patients. I don't think he has a YouTube channel of his own, but is certainly on many others.

He doesn't post much. I suspect he's probably somewhat busy!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm pretty sure he is and helping many of his patients back to health.

Indeedy.

(I actually made my previous post before I had watched the video, where he clearly declared his association.)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
the LCHF message

It improves many people's lives, but it's worth mentioning that it's too easy to become complacent. After 3 plus years of low carb my BG went bonkers and my HbA1c wasn't anything to boast about. There came a time for me to take further action, viz. VLCD, along the lines of the Newcastle Diet, which has been successful. Again I can't be too complacent, I still have a way to go. Low carb was a walk in the park compared to VLCD, so I'm just going to try my best and probably have a break between periods of starving.

Thanks for the link, as soon as I fix my audio, I'll watch . . . . . and listen.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Biggles2

@DavidGrahamJones: your tenacity as you dealt with bumps in your DM management road is truly inspirational! And you are so right, we cannot afford to become complacent; managing this illness requires discipline and focus. That said, I do believe that it is definitely easier for those of us with personality types that thrive on attention to detail :).

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
attention to detail

You've noticed my OCD LOLOLOLOL

I get a real kick out of being able to have some control and it makes working at it a lot easier. I'm the first to recognise my weaknesses and I didn't need that scone, I just wanted it . . . . with the cream of course (no jam), so it was the cream's fault. LOLOLOL

Biggles2

You've noticed my OCD LOLOLOLOL

I get a real kick out of being able to have some control and it makes working at it a lot easier. I'm the first to recognise my weaknesses and I didn't need that scone, I just wanted it . . . . with the cream of course (no jam), so it was the cream's fault. LOLOLOL

LOL! I have always said that if you are destined to have a chronic disease then this is the perfect one for those of us with OCD personality types! We get to channel our need for control in a very positive way. Detail matters, LOL!;)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One part of Dr Unwin's presentation that made my ears prick up a bit was his statement that one of his patients adopted the LC diet and subsequently put their T2 into remission. The difference for this individual was that they did not lose weight along the way.

I didn't note the timing of the statement, within the presentation, so I will watch it again when I have a chance.

Whilst the majority of those who explore the LC way of eating for T2 appear content, if not delighted, to trim up a bit along the way, there are clearly, and regularly those for whom weight loss is undesirable. It is great to know, from an extremely reliable course that it is possible to achieve remission without weight loss.

When I was diagnosed, I never set out to lose weight. My only goal was to moderate my blood sugar readings to the best place I could achieve, whilst still living a good and fulfilled life. There's no point in having "perfect" bloods only to find one isn't healthy or happy or able to function socially.

I know Dr Unwin repeatedly referred to hope, and I totally agree with him in that regard, but hopefully this reduction in HbA1c and int remission, without weight loss could extend the circle of hope, a bit.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
First remember he defines “remission” as normal AC1, not that someone can eat as many carbs as they like, or pass a glucose tolerance test. We have many people on this website "eating to their meters" getting normal BG reading without first losing weight, therefore it is not unexpected that Dr Unwin gets a few people doing this on low carb.

There is a chapter in "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" about how to do very low carb for life when you don't want to lose weight. The problem is keeping protein as well as carbs low enough, hence having to make an effort to add lots of fat. As only people with unreversible Type2 have to do this and authors avoid giving medical advice it is not often covered in books.

Intermittent fasting seems to also work well for these people, as some people can control Type2 just by avoiding high GI carbs and limiting their eating to 8 hours of each day.

It seems to be more of an issue for people with "none western" DNA, maybe due to transitional access to refined carbs in different parts of the world over the last 1000 years.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A yout tube presentation uploaded by Ivor Cummins. Worth the watch indeed..

This is a wonderful video to have access to for the unpersuaded (I’m not but my spouse is). Thank you !!

Lucy