Chronic neuropathy.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I need some suggestions for coping with the above. I'm trying not to take the chemical route, although I do take
Co-codamol at night, to help me sleep.
The pains in my feet are getting worse and moving up my legs, thighs and hips.
I do not wish to resort to a wheelchair or motorised scooter.
I do badly need help.
Has anyone tried the products advertised on line? I see that they are mainly American.
I will be grateful for any suggestions and other folks opinions on how they are coping with this crippling condition.
Thank you

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alpha Lipoic Acid supplements. 600Mg a day. The r-ALA variant is best.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Creeping neuropathy is pretty vile. I get it creeping into the abdominal area as well as the legs. Mine is due to nerve damage from a crash but effects are the same. I found that exercising in a swimming pool really helps. When I first started I needed help to get in the pool and I needed to train my legs to swim again. Now I manage with a crutch and do Aqua fit classes. I get deep tissue massages from a physio 4 weekly and he also stretches and manipulates joints and muscles. Painful but it provides some relief. I also use a home version of flowtron boots which loosens the muscles when they tighten up and I have a Revitive Medic.
I've had this for just over 10 years and I still walk with a single crutch. I'll never get better but the exercise does make a difference.

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had Neuropathy after a course of Chemotherapy After Cancer op & had it in my feet & Fingers . I never had any treatment apart from some pain killers but did have to push myself to walk any distance 7 had to be careful when using kitchen knives as I could not feel if I was cutting myself.
As suggested in the previous post swimming walking. Know it is hard & possibly seems brutal but as in most things in life we need to at times push ourselves even when it hurts.
Having recovered from this although not fully I now run 3 times a week & walk every day

Reactions: Triffo

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I have nerve damage, mostly in my feet but also some in my legs from measles when I was a teenager( a very long time ago!).
Just recently it has become quite painful, linked I suppose to the t2d, although it has hurt on and off for years.
I recently started ala, not the r_ala because that is very expensive. But next time I will get the r_ala because I have found it very helpful.
I can agree with what the others have said and exercise does help.
Perhaps you could get a referral to physio? And water therapy/exercise may help.
In the meantime could you manage some walking?

As I see you are a new poster have you had the welcome message from daisy?
And how do you manage your t2d? Good control will help with the neuropathy.
Good luck with it all. Let us know how you are managing.

Vegman1441

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All.
My Neuropathy came from being given Simvastatin's, it only took seven days before my feet started hurting.
After a total knee replacement I claimed ESA but was told at a review that I did not have Neuropathy even though my doctor said I did. It was a case of get me off ESA ASAP, I went on to JSA but no employer would touch me.
After six months I was told I would no longer get any money, that was August 2016 I have to rely on my wife working to feed me. If I wasn't over 60 I could not afford my insulin and other meds this would mean I would be dead, just what this country wants.
And after being poisoned by the NHS I wonder if I can claim composition.

How come people who get into this country who have not paid in one penny can claim without any problem yet I am allowed nothing. I don't want to have to think like this but its true.

Reactions: Triffo
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All.
My Neuropathy came from being given Simvastatin's, it only took seven days before my feet started hurting.
After a total knee replacement I claimed ESA but was told at a review that I did not have Neuropathy even though my doctor said I did. It was a case of get me off ESA ASAP, I went on to JSA but no employer would touch me.
After six months I was told I would no longer get any money, that was August 2016 I have to rely on my wife working to feed me. If I wasn't over 60 I could not afford my insulin and other meds this would mean I would be dead, just what this country wants.
And after being poisoned by the NHS I wonder if I can claim composition.

How come people who get into this country who have not paid in one penny can claim without any problem yet I am allowed nothing. I don't want to have to think like this but its true.
So sorry to learn that you seem to have experienced, a raw deal. It does seem to be a post card lottery. Although my surgery doctors are fairly good, no-one has offered any suggestions except the chemical route which I am trying to avoid.
Thank goodness you have someone to sustain you. I am not so fortunate. Good Luck.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I have nerve damage, mostly in my feet but also some in my legs from measles when I was a teenager( a very long time ago!).
Just recently it has become quite painful, linked I suppose to the t2d, although it has hurt on and off for years.
I recently started ala, not the r_ala because that is very expensive. But next time I will get the r_ala because I have found it very helpful.
I can agree with what the others have said and exercise does help.
Perhaps you could get a referral to physio? And water therapy/exercise may help.
In the meantime could you manage some walking?

As I see you are a new poster have you had the welcome message from daisy?
And how do you manage your t2d? Good control will help with the neuropathy.
Good luck with it all. Let us know how you are managing.
Hi there. Thank you for your kind words. I've had type two diabetes for over 25 yrs. I manage fairly well and have been on Insulin, since 1991. The Neuropathy commenced about three yrs ago and has become worse over this period
and is now very painful, sometimes I think I would like to have my leg off. Obviously, I really wouldn't, however, it can be so lowering. I take the A L A but would like to get hold of the R variety but not from America, ?Can it be purchased in Britain? This condition is now affecting other parts of my body and is most distressing. I hate swimming but do try to take a walk every day, albeit with a stick. My diet is mostly vegetarian and I take various supplements,I just don't want to spend the rest of my life on destructive, pain killers.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had Neuropathy after a course of Chemotherapy After Cancer op & had it in my feet & Fingers . I never had any treatment apart from some pain killers but did have to push myself to walk any distance 7 had to be careful when using kitchen knives as I could not feel if I was cutting myself.
As suggested in the previous post swimming walking. Know it is hard & possibly seems brutal but as in most things in life we need to at times push ourselves even when it hurts.
Having recovered from this although not fully I now run 3 times a week & walk every day

Snap.

I have neuropathy in my feet as a result of chemotherapy, which ended over 4 and a half years ago but left behind this neuropathy. It has never been as bad as some on here describe, hasn't stopped me doing things, and my feet were always uncomfortable rather than painful when walking. The worst was in bed when they burned like mad at times. Taking R-ALA has almost stopped it. No more discomfort when walking, and much less burning in bed. Why on earth the oncologists don't prescribe it I'll never understand. All I was told was it may disappear or it may not.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Creeping neuropathy is pretty vile. I get it creeping into the abdominal area as well as the legs. Mine is due to nerve damage from a crash but effects are the same. I found that exercising in a swimming pool really helps. When I first started I needed help to get in the pool and I needed to train my legs to swim again. Now I manage with a crutch and do Aqua fit classes. I get deep tissue massages from a physio 4 weekly and he also stretches and manipulates joints and muscles. Painful but it provides some relief. I also use a home version of flowtron boots which loosens the muscles when they tighten up and I have a Revitive Medic.
I've had this for just over 10 years and I still walk with a single crutch. I'll never get better but the exercise does make a difference.
Thank you for your message,( "maglil55post: 1584497 member: 52911"). I hope this is right, I'm not familiar with the
rules for posting on this site. Your input is very helpful. I wish that I could swim. I really detest the whole business
of dressing and undressing and feeling when I emerge from the water that i'm carrying a hod of bricks in my swimming costume! Ugh! However, I am trying to stay on my feet using a walking stick for balance. Within half an hour of walking, I'm usually experiencing terrific pain in my toes and on the balls of my feet, no "Strictly," for meI'm taking the ALA that was recommended in a health book but I've only recently read about the r ala being better. I need to purchase some fast.
If I could afford to employ a private Physio that is what i would do. Nothing of that kind has been offered by my local
GP, just a sheet of paper suggesting some exercises. I'm not sure about the Revitive Medic, it might work for some.
Any way, good luck with all your endeavours and thank you.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy mine from this place and can recommend their customer service 100%

https://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/swa...acid?af=wg&utm_source=webgains&utm_medium=cpa
Snap.

I have neuropathy in my feet as a result of chemotherapy, which ended over 4 and a half years ago but left behind this neuropathy. It has never been as bad as some on here describe, hasn't stopped me doing things, and my feet were always uncomfortable rather than painful when walking. The worst was in bed when they burned like mad at times. Taking R-ALA has almost stopped it. No more discomfort when walking, and much less burning in bed. Why on earth the oncologists don't prescribe it I'll never understand. All I was told was it may disappear or it may not.

Thank you, Bluetit1802 member94045. I shall definetly be in touch with them. I love your sentiment
about tough people. You've made my day, I smiled and realise that this is certainly true. Thank you
once again. I shall contact the forum again with my results.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Snap.

My brother is in that boat too - he has Myeloma but knowing I have it too (neuropathy) (even if it was different reasons) means he can borrow my various bit of equipment (although he avoids the Revitive like the plague - big fearty).
His neuropathy improved when he was able to come off chemo last time he was in remission but, as you probably know, myeloma does come back so he's on chemo again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My brother is in that boat too - he has Myeloma but knowing I have it too (neuropathy) (even if it was different reasons) means he can borrow my various bit of equipment (although he avoids the Revitive like the plague - big fearty).
His neuropathy improved when he was able to come off chemo last time he was in remission but, as you probably know, myeloma does come back so he's on chemo again.

Cancer sucks. Chemo sucks even more. Type 2 Diabetes? A walk in the park. (in comparison). If I am still clear in December it will be 5 years clear, so officially in remission. I wish your brother the best of luck.

Reactions: maglil55

marnie58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have neuropathy in my left leg and foot. I describe the pain as a hot poker trying to get out of my skin. I have also had popateal nerve palsy in the same leg but then again I've had type 1 for 51 years and every day is a bonus

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do try r-ala, 100-200mg a day of a good quality one and give it time to work. Also Amazon do some good ones.
Have low b12 and d vits been ruled out as a contributing factor?

marnie58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I take an arenesp fortnightly for renal anemia so would have to check if there was any interaction