Breakfast

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do you guys generally have for breakfast? at the moment I'm currently having 2 slices wholemeal toast and 2 slices cheese, not only am I thoroughly fed up of this but I'm finding its not keeping me full for long and I'm hungry within 2 hours :( x

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Carbs make me ravenous especially in the morning. I eat either avocado or turkey with mustard and mayo on a lettuce wrap. I need a fattier bf with almost no carbs.

How about melting that cheese on some eggs instead of bread?

Reactions: Ixarix

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A Lidl high protein roll with a couple of slices of very thin sliced Edam (Asda) or with cheese triangle with Marmite usually. With scrambled egg and bacon when time allows. I often toast them in the halogen oven.

D

Deleted Account

I go for fruit and yoghurt and vary both regularly.
They are easy to prepare and weigh.
Yes, some of the fruit is high in carbs but I inject my insulin early and experience no major BG spikes.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2 weetabix with skimmed milk for me sometimes slice a small banana over top quite carby but keeps me feeling full till lunch :)

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A smoothie with berries, full fat natural yoghurt, semi skimmed milk, stevia and vanilla essence if I have time.

If I've been rubbish at getting out of bed (more usual) 100g of full fat natural yoghurt, poss with some berries sprinkled on the top. Very few carbs, so no real spike, and because of that I don't feel the midmorning 'crash'. It normally keeps me full until lunch time.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Um, all sorts, not all at the same time though - toast, cheese, avocado, weetabix, porridge, yoghurt, veggie sausage sandwich, just tea...

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Carbs make me ravenous especially in the morning. I eat either avocado or turkey with mustard and mayo on a lettuce wrap. I need a fattier bf with almost no carbs.

How about melting that cheese on some eggs instead of bread?
The DSN and dietician don't want me cutting down any more on carbs in fact they want me to eat more, I'm struggling with my weight and everything too, as I haven't eaten since 4:30pm the previous day eggs and cheese just wouldn't do it for me x

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Scrambled eggs with bacon, salmon or mushrooms, porridge (from jumbo oats), crumpet with a little butter. Cereal on rare occasions (and if I have time to wait for the pre bolus to kick in). Usually with a strong mug of tea.

Reactions: kaylz91

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also have a problem of not a great understanding of how to use my insulin and I feel awful for admitting that :( I also have other issues that I am currently waiting to see about x

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kaylz91 don't feel awful for admitting that - feel proud for taking the first step. And I suspect - in fact, I know - that you are far from alone. Honestly, I didn't have a clue, despite having done a carb counting course, until I found this site and really started to read. I believe 'Think Like a Pancreas' is often recommended around here as a good place to start. You've been doing this for eleven months. Really, that's no time at all. Five years in, I still don't have a clue most of the time, and I'd be willing to put money on other people being in the same position.

Obviously the advice of the DSN and dietician is important to take on board, but also remember that it is you who has to live with it every day. My advice would be to find something that you like eating - or if that is an issue, even something that you can manage to eat - for breakfast, without worrying too much about how many carbs or anything else it has in it, and take it from there. Maybe it's porridge, maybe it's something with fruit, maybe it's something else.

What would you have had for breakfast before your diagnosis?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kaylz91 don't feel awful for admitting that - feel proud for taking the first step. And I suspect - in fact, I know - that you are far from alone. Honestly, I didn't have a clue, despite having done a carb counting course, until I found this site and really started to read. I believe 'Think Like a Pancreas' is often recommended around here as a good place to start. You've been doing this for eleven months. Really, that's no time at all. Five years in, I still don't have a clue most of the time, and I'd be willing to put money on other people being in the same position.

Obviously the advice of the DSN and dietician is important to take on board, but also remember that it is you who has to live with it every day. My advice would be to find something that you like eating - or if that is an issue, even something that you can manage to eat - for breakfast, without worrying too much about how many carbs or anything else it has in it, and take it from there. Maybe it's porridge, maybe it's something with fruit, maybe it's something else.

What would you have had for breakfast before your diagnosis?
To be honest I didn't eat breakfast very often or lunch then I'd have dinner and stuff my face late at night with ****, I would love to be brave enough to experiment and eat other things :( like breakfast I would love a bowl of porridge or baked oats with some pear or raspberry I just lack the confidence to try it in case disaster strikes :( I'm so fed up with being so strict and eating the same day in day out that I'm getting really upset and stressed when people say oh I'm hungry a few hours after they've eaten so they go and get something and I feel starving but I don't have that option :( x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Sounds as though you're a prime candidate for a Dafne course, Kaylz91! Have you asked your GP or Consultant if you can do it? It'll help to make the balance between carbs and insulin clear, and the ways to calculate it will be personalised for you. Push hard to do it!
How long is it since your diagnosis? Have you already been through the 'honeymoon' period?
And like EllsKBells says, DON'T FEEL BAD. We've all had to start from scratch at some point, or our parents have, and you've taken the first steps.
BTW, my breakfast varies: meusli, wholemeal toast, fruit, yoghurt, wholegrain porridge, in various combinations, but I can use the scales, the labels on the packaging, carbs and Cals book/app and the insulin/carb ratio I was given on Dafne, plus current test result, plus intended activity, to work out how much insulin to inject. It sounds like a lot to think about but, believe me, it becomes second nature: easy.
Hope you get some more help from your GP and DSN

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@kaylz91 I know you are struggling with food in general so I guess the question is, what do you really fancy? Imagine no consequences just for a moment and tell us what you would have. Then perhaps we can suggest ways to help manage that dream meal.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds as though you're a prime candidate for a Dafne course, Kaylz91! Have you asked your GP or Consultant if you can do it? It'll help to make the balance between carbs and insulin clear, and the ways to calculate it will be personalised for you. Push hard to do it!
How long is it since your diagnosis? Have you already been through the 'honeymoon' period?
And like EllsKBells says, DON'T FEEL BAD. We've all had to start from scratch at some point, or our parents have, and you've taken the first steps.
BTW, my breakfast varies: meusli, wholemeal toast, fruit, yoghurt, wholegrain porridge, in various combinations, but I can use the scales, the labels on the packaging, carbs and Cals book/app and the insulin/carb ratio I was given on Dafne, plus current test result, plus intended activity, to work out how much insulin to inject. It sounds like a lot to think about but, believe me, it becomes second nature: easy.
Hope you get some more help from your GP and DSN
There aren't DAFNE courses where I am :'( I use packets and the scales etc but I feel like ive been left to deal with it all on my own and I cant x

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kaylz91 I know you are struggling with food in general so I guess the question is, what do you really fancy? Imagine no consequences just for a moment and tell us what you would have. Then perhaps we can suggest ways to help manage that dream meal.
Well for breakfast I crave the most ridiculous thing for some, people miss chocolate etc I just want a bowl of hot porridge or baked oats! :( and for tea I'd love to allow myself more than 2 boiled potatoes with whatever I'm having x

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Ok, so do you feel confident adjusting insulin doses? So how much insulin do you take for 2 potatoes - you could then double that for 4... the oats may be harder, but if you can calculate the carbs and inject in advance e.g. 20 mins before if levels are safe then you can have your oats.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
There aren't DAFNE courses where I am :'( I use packets and the scales etc but I feel like ive been left to deal with it all on my own and I cant x

Are you in the UK kaylz91? If you are then maybe it's worth mentioning to the medical people you see that they could sign up to train so they could deliver Dafne.

I've tried to copy and paste the diabetes uk site for some info on carb counting that might help

Fingers crossed! http://www.imperialendo.co.uk/carb2012.pdf

Hope it works!

Hope too that it's ok to give you this site!

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, so do you feel confident adjusting insulin doses? So how much insulin do you take for 2 potatoes - you could then double that for 4... the oats may be harder, but if you can calculate the carbs and inject in advance e.g. 20 mins before if levels are safe then you can have your oats.
No I don't feel comfortable adjusting at all that's part of the problem! :( why would the oats be harder? x

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll tag @GrantGam I know he's just finished a carb counting course in Aberdeen I believe. Forgotten the acronym they used for the course but it's basically DAFNE and I'm sure would benefit you if you could get a placement.