Breakfast

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll tag @GrantGam I know he's just finished a carb counting course in Aberdeen I believe. Forgotten the acronym they used for the course but it's basically DAFNE and I'm sure would benefit you if you could get a placement.
Thank you!! :) x

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If have poŕridge i tend to have the 2 mins in microwave one it has carb value per serving on the box i am waitig to go on a carb counting course but cant start it till april due to no spaces available i do try to carb count i use 1unit of insulin to every 10 grams of carbs which while not ideal works out ok most of the time for me i am waiting for a half unit pen as well i have only been diagnosed type 1 for 5 mths so im still only learning i do hope you find something that you like and keeps you fuller and as time goes on you will get more confidence adjusting your insulin goodluck

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Oats harder because they are slower to release the carbs. Which is why I suggest an advance bolus injection.
If you are not happy adjusting then you will have to stick to carb counts you know work.

Have you had any luck with appointments for the dramatic weight loss?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oats harder because they are slower to release the carbs. Which is why I suggest an advance bolus injection.
If you are not happy adjusting then you will have to stick to carb counts you know work.

Have you had any luck with appointments for the dramatic weight loss?

Am a little confused, I always advance bolus for my Shredded Wheat, about 30 mins, as it rises quickly. However, because oats are slower I inject 30 mins afterwards.

Reactions: kaylz91

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Diakat like @becca59 I am slightly confused as to the why you would pre bolus so long before a slower release carb, surely I would be more likely to hypo by doing this, and no nothing more on a pscholgist appointment or anything however I will be asking the DSN on Tuesday as I'm ready to just give up with everything :( x

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Don't give up. Talk it through. It seems to work for me but others have different experience. See what nurse says and see what works for you.

Reactions: db89

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I don't feel comfortable adjusting at all that's part of the problem! :( why would the oats be harder? x

Do you have a ratio in the morning or are you on fixed dose?

Oats can be quite good if you get the proper cut or jumbo ones and the carb amount shouldn't vary much at all even between brands. If you'd like to try them you can make up the same portion (and therefore carb amount) each time depending on your preference of heating them with milk, water or both.

The only thing I found as @Diakat mentioned is that I need to take the bolus in advance though you'd need to try this part based on what you've found works for you. :)

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do have a ratio but am experiencing differing results by pre lunch so I'm not convinced it's correct x

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having a breakfast like that could help you check and adjust it whether you think it's too high or low as you would have a repeatable amount of carbs each time. It'll then be something you can have when you like and will know the carbs etc. beforehand.

Edit: this is the thread @therower was referencing about the equivalent of DAFNE in some areas of Scotland.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having a breakfast like that could help you check and adjust it whether you think it's too high or low as you would have a repeatable amount of carbs each time. It'll then be something you can have when you like and will know the carbs etc. beforehand.

Edit: this is the thread @therower was referencing about the equivalent of DAFNE in some areas of Scotland.
It's a repeatable amount of carbs with the bread though and thanks for the link x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
You could get Carbs and Cals, the book and/or app that has information about the carbohydrate and calorie content of many foods. The amount you inject for the bread you eat could be used as a basis to calculate what you should inject for other foods.
However, if you're still in the 'honeymoon' phase, when your responses to insulin and food will be all over the place, you'll need to be extra careful that you don't become hypoglycaemic. What do you use to test your blood sugars?
Good luck. Hope everything gets easier asap!

Reactions: Diakat

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You could get Carbs and Cals, the book and/or app that has information about the carbohydrate and calorie content of many foods. The amount you inject for the bread you eat could be used as a basis to calculate what you should inject for other foods.
However, if you're still in the 'honeymoon' phase, when your responses to insulin and food will be all over the place, you'll need to be extra careful that you don't become hypoglycaemic. What do you use to test your blood sugars?

Talk it over with your DSN before doing anything with carbs and Cals and extra food and insulin - just to be on the safe side

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the book but don't really use it as not brave enough to even try many of the things in it and there is no option of extra food at the moment due to my 'fear' I use the Aviva expert x

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Kaylz, you're in Angus, so I reckon that, even though this seems like bleak times for you at the moment, sheer Scottish cussedness and determination will pull through and you'll figure out how to play this game (I'm saying that as a Scot myself, so I can stereotype here!).

You're relatively recently dx'd so a lot of it will be uncertain, but you'll pick up experience as you go, experiment with things and eventually say, aye, ok, I see how that works, this is what I'm going to do. It takes time, but you'll get there.

By the way, Banting, who discovered insulin, along with Best, had a Scottish grandmother, and McLeod, who ran the lab where it all happened, was Scottish. Probably explains why they had so many arguments...put two Scottish guys in the same room....

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have the book but don't really use it as not brave enough to even try many of the things in it and there is no option of extra food at the moment due to my 'fear' I use the Aviva expert x

Why are you afraid?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ah, yes, I think we all are. If you know how much insulin to use as a correction dose then the fear should go. It's always a balancing act, but if you get to know your own personal needs then it's easier. Personally, and just as an example, I inject 1 unit of insulin for every 10g of carbohydrate. And 1 unit of insulin should reduce my blood sugars by 3 mmol/L which is the way my blood sugar monitor calculates it. I aim to be between 5.5 (so there's a leeway) and 7 and I know that I can rise to 9 after eating and it will fall when the insulin has had time to act.
If you keep a note of what you eat, what you inject and what your sugars do then you may begin to get a handle on your own needs.
I know that my own results can occasionally go awol, but I then act to get them in line again.
There are lots of things that can affect results: I believe for me the main ones are exercise - sugars used for making energy which lowers blood sugars, so extra carb - and illness, which raises blood sugars.
Can you make an appointment to see your DSN, or your GP, and see if they'll refer you to a diabetes consultant for more help? The Dafne course, or the local equivalent, would be ideal, but any further help from knowledgeable medics would be great.
I can really understand your fear at this stage. We're told that awful things can happen if we allow ourselves to go high, but the occasional high may not hurt in the long run.
I've had T1 for 48 years, have had a few highs and lows, and I can still walk, dance, see, feel with my toes, embarrass my children, travel . . .