Low Carb Tins of Soup

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This question has been asked before but it was nearly 3 years ago and there may be some new products available. Home made soup is the ideal, it can be low carb and tastes better but sometimes the convenience of just heating a tinned soup would be useful. So has anyone spotted any reasonably low carb tins of soup they can recommend?

Reactions: Prem51 and TIANDB

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The lowest I ever found (spent about 15 minutes looking through the tins.. what a saddo) was the Waitrose Chicken consomme which has 2.4g per tin (400ml). I used to have it with a chunk of butter in when I was fasting and felt hungry. It's ok but not great taste wise but the butter helped as well as a load of white pepper that I chucked in too.

Reactions: TIANDB and dbr10

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
(spent about 15 minutes looking through the tins.. what a saddo)
Only 15mins! I must be much sadder than you! I eat moderately low carb, about 70g per day so I have some leeway but the tins I used to like before diagnosis have about 30g per tin which is too much for a quick lunch.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I join the saddo soup hunters! :joyful: I looked through every single tin in Sainsburys the other day and then checked all the soups on Tesco.com. The best I found was Tesco own make cream of chicken at 5.6g for half a 400g tin. I’ve decided to make my own and am waiting for a Russell Hobbs hand blender to be delivered from Amazon. On offer for £8 currently if you’re interested:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010FMO1XO/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Only 15mins! I must be much sadder than you! I eat moderately low carb, about 70g per day so I have some leeway but the tins I used to like before diagnosis have about 30g per tin which is too much for a quick lunch.

Blimey! How big are your tins?
Even Heinz Tomato soup is only 6.8% carbs, and I have just pulled one out of the cupboard, belonging to Mr. Blue. It is Seafood Gumbo soup by Spinnaker Seafood (Classic) It is 3.72% carbs.(Not that I would touch it, it looks awful). Baxters French Onion is 5.8% carbs.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Even Heinz Tomato soup is only 6.8% carbs, and I have just pulled one out of the cupboard, belonging to Mr. Blue. It is Seafood Gumbo soup by Spinnaker Seafood (Classic) It is 3.72% carbs.(Not that I would touch it, it looks awful). Baxters French Onion is 5.8% carbs.
Are you just quoting figures for 100g, that’s a quarter of an average tin, I’d eat at least half and I guess some people might eat the whole tin?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember you can freeze homemade soaps.

Some of the more expensive supermarkets now sell “real” stock in the fridge section that can be added to a small sty fry of meat/veg to convert it into a quick soap.

Ocado sells frozen bone broth

Shame on one seems to sell tinned bone broth...... The machine to tin food does not lend it self to small scale production.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you just quoting figures for 100g, that’s a quarter of an average tin, I’d eat at least half and I guess some people might eat the whole tin?

Yes, the percentage, ie 5.8g carbs per 100g. So whatever size your portion is, 5.8% of it will be carbs. That isn't much in the grand scheme of things. In the past I only ever ate half a tin, around 200g. That is meant to be a serving size. I only look at the percentages on labels. It is so much easier to visualise on your own portion size.

Reactions: Rachox

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can get a 400g pot of Soupologie Cauliflower, Kale & Black Garlic soup that is under 8g carbs per pot, I rather like it :) x

Reactions: Prem51

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have looked at some soups and realized the tin look more palatable than the contents. Lower carb too.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the sound of the seafood gumbo, who sells that? I do like to have a whole tin of soup so you have to multiply the percentage carbs by 4.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the sound of the seafood gumbo, who sells that? I do like to have a whole tin of soup so you have to multiply the percentage carbs by 4.

He buys it from a north west supermarket called Booths, but has seen it on Amazon. They do several different sea food soups. My husband loves it.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Glad you got a mention of Baxter soups in there in your post #6, @Bluetit1802 !

Ena Baxter and her kids are titans of the soup world.

Apropos of which, may I present their:

"Beef Consomme with Cask Aged Sherry", 1.2% carbs or 4.8 per 400g tin.

http://www.baxters.com/product/beef-consomme-with-cask-aged-sherry

Pretty good on it's own, but I sometimes use it as a base for a mock ramen: some tofu, prawns, chestnut mushrooms, etc. and you can then go either way on the noodles depending on your carb preferences.

Lovely soup, very deep flavours.

Reactions: Prem51