My GP is beyond naff.

DaveTC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I just got my diabetes nurse to put down 4 boxes of 50 strips on repeat, used to be two boxes but I'd have to grab more roughly every fortnight.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One would think your NHS would use the same brand of strips and meters for everybody. I mean a strip's a strip right? Just contract for the cheapest ones that meet the quality standards and go with them. But that makes too much sense for gubment work. You gotta have lobbyists and contracting agents and a bidding process and a review committee. Maybe "The Russians" tried to influence your strips contract like the did our election. Right?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One would think your NHS would use the same brand of strips and meters for everybody. I mean a strip's a strip right? Just contract for the cheapest ones that meet the quality standards and go with them. But that makes too much sense for gubment work. You gotta have lobbyists and contracting agents and a bidding process and a review committee. Maybe "The Russians" tried to influence your strips contract like the did our election. Right?

Type1 get a choice over the meter they have so can get blue tooth link to phones etc. Type2 mostly get no choice but can have a larger meter if needed due to eyesight etc.

The NHS is divided up into areas, each area decides what they will fund, but it mostly comes down to setting a max price they will pay for the strips, and then allowing any "free" meter that will use them. Another factor is how long the strips last once opened, as lots of people only test a few times a week at most.

ailsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I renew my prescriptions for all drugs required every 2 months. I get 8 boxes of testing strips then. I get in panic if I run low.

Reactions: claire1991

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think I must be incredibly lucky as my dn and gp are both fabulous and very supportive. The pharmacy attached to the surgery is also wonderful .I’m very lucky

D

Deleted member 101090

i am just formally complaining about my GP practice. we have no usual GP, they rotate through really fast and are sometimes completely absent. the nurse practitioner pretended to be a doctor and in 7 months the practice has not gotten one prescriptions right.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a thought but...
If the pens aren't normally on your repeat then maybe it's the pharmacy that has made the error?
I would double check with them, it can happen. I've been given cartridges before when I was meant to be given kwickpens.

Nathaliecolette.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i am just formally complaining about my GP practice. we have no usual GP, they rotate through really fast and are sometimes completely absent. the nurse practitioner pretended to be a doctor and in 7 months the practice has not gotten one prescriptions right.

Given that at presnt GPs get to choose where they work, and name their own price, there is little a CCG can do with a practice that can't get employed GPs. GPs choose the best practices to work for..... (And these are the practices with long term employed GPs)

Hence changing ptractice may be the best option.

iHs

I stopped using the repeat prescription by placing it with a pharmacy to collect it bout 1 year ago. There were too many problems where the pharmacy hadn't done the prescription and didn't bother to notify me so I decided to place the prescription through the GP surgery using the repeat prescription in the surgery letterbox and collect the prescription in person and take it to whatever pharmacy I fancied. By doing this, I can check straight away as to whether I have got the correct meds and if not, it gets sorted straight away. I order just one 3ml pen cartridge every 2 years to use as a standby if my pump malfunctions.