urine glucose

sophieturner

Type of diabetes
Insipidus
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.

My urine glucose right now is 8.4mmol. is this high? I've been feeling really tired recently especially after eating.

16yof with DI

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

My urine glucose right now is 8.4mmol. is this high? I've been feeling really tired recently especially after eating.

16yof with DI

Hi there, Sophie.

How are you measuring your 8.4mmol? Are you using dip strips, like Glucostix, or something else? When I was initially diagnosed, my GP gave me urine strips to test, but they didn't give me any real levels, they were based on a colour matching system.

Do you take any form of medication for your DI? The reason I ask is some diabetes, medications work by encouraging your system to wee out you glucose.

sophieturner

Type of diabetes
Insipidus
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, Sophie.

How are you measuring your 8.4mmol? Are you using dip strips, like Glucostix, or something else? When I was initially diagnosed, my GP gave me urine strips to test, but they didn't give me any real levels, they were based on a colour matching system.

Do you take any form of medication for your DI? The reason I ask is some diabetes, medications work by encouraging your system to wee out you glucose.

- Hi there. I used my glucose meter that I have, as I used to measure my bg a few years ago when I used to go really low.
I take desmopressin for my DI. I had a fasting bg test on Thursday and I get results on Monday.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
- Hi there. I used my glucose meter that I have, as I used to measure my bg a few years ago when I used to go really low.
I take desmopressin for my DI. I had a fasting bg test on Thursday and I get results on Monday.

Ah, so your 8.4 was your blood glucose, as opposed to your urine?

Working on the assumption it's blood, it would very much depend when you tested and what you had eaten. By that's I mean, if your test was, say, 45 minutes after you ate something, then it could be fine. If it were a couple of hours after you'd eaten it might be considered a bit high. The link following explains blood sugar levels a bit more. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html Whilst the post meal level for T2s is 8.5, many try to be a bit lower at the 2 hour point.

In terms of why you might be feeling tired. That's a tricky one as so many things can impact on our levels of fatigue, but within the diabetic communities, high levels can do that, but then so can being generally tired, or thyroid issues, and several other things.

It's certainly good that you are doing some testing, but the results need to be viewed with a bit of context.

Finally Diabetes Insipidus isn't very common, as I'm sure you already know. To avoid to many queries, such as my own, it might be useful if your profile included the medication you take. It's up to you.

Good luck with it all.

sophieturner

Type of diabetes
Insipidus
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, so your 8.4 was your blood glucose, as opposed to your urine?

Working on the assumption it's blood, it would very much depend when you tested and what you had eaten. By that's I mean, if your test was, say, 45 minutes after you ate something, then it could be fine. If it were a couple of hours after you'd eaten it might be considered a bit high. The link following explains blood sugar levels a bit more. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html Whilst the post meal level for T2s is 8.5, many try to be a bit lower at the 2 hour point.

In terms of why you might be feeling tired. That's a tricky one as so many things can impact on our levels of fatigue, but within the diabetic communities, high levels can do that, but then so can being generally tired, or thyroid issues, and several other things.

It's certainly good that you are doing some testing, but the results need to be viewed with a bit of context.

Finally Diabetes Insipidus isn't very common, as I'm sure you already know. To avoid to many queries, such as my own, it might be useful if your profile included the medication you take. It's up to you.

Good luck with it all.

Hiya,

I think I have mislead you, let me explain- I used my old glucose meter (GlucoZen.Auto) but took a urine sample and tested the glucose in a drop of urine with my meter, and it said 8.4mmol. It was about 3-4 hours after eating a small bowl of mac and cheese.

Thanks for all for your help! :)

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't think it can be used like that? Because it measures plasma glucose most likely. Why don't you do a fingerprick test?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, @sophieturner - thanks for clarifying.

I can't say I've heard of a blood glucose meter being used in that way. I know some do use their meters to test for sugar in soft drinks (Diet Coke v ordinary Coke) in pubs etc. Did your Endo or GP recommend this method of testing?

On a more general note, my understanding is that a normal healthy person will have very low, if any glucose in their urine, with numbers of less than 0.8 mmol being cited.

Because I'm not so familiar with Diabetes Insipidus, or using a blood meter to test urine, I think it could be counter-productive for me to comment further. I would hate to mistakenly make an inappropriate suggestion to you, except to say that if you have concerns, it would make sense to discuss those with the medical team looking after you.

Do you have any appointments/reviews coming up any time soon?

I do hope you feel better soon.

sophieturner

Type of diabetes
Insipidus
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, @sophieturner - thanks for clarifying.

I can't say I've heard of a blood glucose meter being used in that way. I know some do use their meters to test for sugar in soft drinks (Diet Coke v ordinary Coke) in pubs etc. Did your Endo or GP recommend this method of testing?

On a more general note, my understanding is that a normal healthy person will have very low, if any glucose in their urine, with numbers of less than 0.8 mmol being cited.

Because I'm not so familiar with Diabetes Insipidus, or using a blood meter to test urine, I think it could be counter-productive for me to comment further. I would hate to mistakenly make an inappropriate suggestion to you, except to say that if you have concerns, it would make sense to discuss those with the medical team looking after you.

Do you have any appointments/reviews coming up any time soon?

I do hope you feel better soon.

I just came up with that thought, with myself being party curious but also, my previous boyfriend tested his soft drinks with his meter so I just thought it might be worth a shot.

Thank you for all of you help however! :)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just sacrificed a couple of test strips in the interest of science. Schweppes normal Tonic Water (5.1% sugar) read 9.5 mmol/L and 7Up Free (0% sugar) read Lo. So it seems it would work to test drinks on a go/no-go basis. However even if a blood testing meter gave readings with urine, there would be no way to know what they mean, as the meter makes assumptions and calculations assuming the medium is blood.
Incidentally I tasted the drink samples and the 7Up Free tastes much sweeter than the Tonic.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My curiosity got the better of me so I tested my urine against a finger prick test. Urine read 1.4 mmol/L and blood read 6.1 mmol/L. As I said before the actual readings are meaningless but it might be a good idea for @sophieturner to do some more tests with blood. Check that the test strips are still within their use by date. Check just before and 2 hours after a main meal. AFAIK DI does not affect blood sugar and is not related to DM but I suppose you can have both.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Urine test strips used to be used a lot by people with Type1 to confirm they have been given the type of coke they ordered, as cafes and bars can't be trusted to get it right. (Before BG meters, it was a lot harder for people to do corrective doses of insulin.)