Any advice onHumulin I

joeynomates1969

I'm type 2 and currently have high readings 24..ol on the mornings. The GP says I HAVE to take something but to be honest, I've tried all types of different meds including insulin and I just react to everything!! Anyway, they want me to take humulin I again... Which was the first insulin I tried. I had a reaction to it back then. I'm just so scared to inject it. Anybody had any reaction to it?

D

Diabeticliberty

I'm type 2 and currently have high readings 24..ol on the mornings. The GP says I HAVE to take something but to be honest, I've tried all types of different meds including insulin and I just react to everything!! Anyway, they want me to take humulin I again... Which was the first insulin I tried. I had a reaction to it back then. I'm just so scared to inject it. Anybody had any reaction to it?

I have taken Humulin I for the past 33 years which should give you some idea as to how old the technology is. It is not the most wonderful slow acting insulin in the world and there are other products available. What I am really scratching my head about is if you have tried it before and had a reaction to it, why your doctor would ask you to try it again? You may want to possibly offer Albert Einstein's Theory Of Insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I would also suggest that if you are waking with blood sugars of 24mmols which definitely need addressing with some degree of urgency, in my own experience Isophane is very unlikely to sort it for you. It works moderately well as a background insulin but has a fairly short profile in comparison to some of the other slow acting insulin products now available. I don't wish to appear terribly cynical but what might be appealing to your doctor is that the product is very cheap to buy.

Reactions: joeynomates1969