Hair

W.bubble13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Since I was diagnosed my hair has changed its frizzy and thicker before I was diagnosed my hair was at lot thinner than what it is now. Now it has to be straightened. Has anyone else’s hair change since they were diagnosed ??

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @W.bubble13 ,

Have you changed hair care products?
Or moved to a geographically damp climate..?
This has been known to cause hair friz..

W.bubble13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No my hair products are the same and I haven’t moved to a damp climate I don’t why my hair has gone like this

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No my hair products are the same and I haven’t moved to a damp climate I don’t why my hair has gone like this

OK...? What about diet? (I'm guessing here.) Any change with the diagnosis..?

W.bubble13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not that I know of but maybe it was the drugs I was given in hospital and it may have effected the growth of my hair I’m not sure but that might be the best reason there will be but thanks for the help. Would to chat some time.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not that I know of but maybe it was the drugs I was given in hospital and it may have effected the growth of my hair I’m not sure but that might be the best reason there will be but thanks for the help. Would to chat some time.

Hi again, could you please clarify what "drugs" you were given by the hospital? Is this for something else other than diabetes related?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @W.bubble13
how long ago were you diagnosed with type 1 ??

has your change of hair been a positive or a negative for you recently ???

W.bubble13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know I was given lots of insulin and a drip and pain killers but I also a lots of blood taken from me

W.bubble13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed 29/6/16
I would say positive because once it’s straight it fine but I can’t just let it dry on it’s own and up it up I have to straighten it and then up it up if I want

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi @W.bubble13

my hair changed a lot when I was your age. :) and i didn't become diabetic til much later.
it got less fine, and went from strawberry blonde to a kind of light reddish brown. and i think it also went from straightish to kind of wavy. when i look at pictures there is quite a change from one year to the next. hormones. such fun. ;)

so it may be that your hair would have changed this last year whether you were diagnosed or not.

hope that helps.

Last edited:

W.bubble13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks so much my hair did change colour from golden brown to dark brown but then I died it to the original colour back as much as I could but then my hair went like a orangey brown but now I’m blonde it seem to be a lot better than it was thanks for your help

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sometimes hair dye can affect hair texture too, and if you bleached it to a lighter colour, then that can make it frizzy. apparently the surface of the hair shaft gets rougher which makes it feel thicker, and it gets drier.

maybe a bit more conditioner, or some hair oil would help?

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same exact thing happened to me! I think it’s something to do with your body concentration on getting the sugars out of your blood instead of hair etc