Type 1 DICE course ...

emma_hughes3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys! I’m doing the my DICE course In 2 weeks. I was just wondering if anyone’s done it? And how did you find it? Thanks x

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @emma_hughes3 , I haven't heard of the DICE course - is it perhaps a regional variation on DAFNE?

I did our local version of it some years ago - it's called SADIE round here - a distinguishing feature of the one I did which sets it apart from DAFNE was that it was a day a week for five weeks rather than just five straight days. I liked that that gave me loads more time in between sessions for practising what I was learning and plenty of trial and error.

I learned so much - I'm sure you will, too!

(Please disregard all of the above if in fact DICE has nothing to do with DAFNE!)

:)

Reactions: novorapidboi26

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Snapsy . Purely for the benefit of people reading this thread. DAFNE was and I believe still is available as 5 x 1 day course over a 5 week period. Problem is I think they only offer this option once a year or they did do in my neck of the woods.

D

Deleted Account

Likewise, not heard of DICE but done a local equivalent of DAFNE. Mine was called "Freedom 4 Life".
This fitted better (but not perfectly) into my life as it was 4 hours every Monday evening for 5 weeks.
It was useful to have week between sessions to put things in practice.

However, by far, the most valuable thing for me was to spend time with other people with type 1 diabetes. I learnt so much what it can be like living with diabetes and some of the tricks they had learnt over the years.

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Snapsy . Purely for the benefit of people reading this thread. DAFNE was and I believe still is available as 5 x 1 day course over a 5 week period. Problem is I think they only offer this option once a year or they did do in my neck of the woods.
Oh cool - that's good to hear - a whole week at once did sound quite full-on, so it's nice to have that one-day-a-week alternative option.

Thanks for clarifying, @therower !

:)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe DICE stands for Diabetes, Insulin & Carbohydrate Education and is based on DAFNE apparently - so Mr Google tells me!

Reactions: Snapsy

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolute agree with @helensaramay . You learn a lot on these courses, but more importantly you get a better understanding of your own and other people's diabetes. A week with 9 other T1 diabetics was great.