After the Newcastle Diet.... Update

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I managed to get through ten weeks of the Newcastle Diet - it was a struggle but I think I might have achieved something. Not sure what as I don't know where to go to be tested to see if I've reduced my visceral fat but my waist is much smaller.

One really positive thing is I have noticed that I am able to eat more carbs than I used to so I've done a bit of careful experimenting and I've successfully eaten various things that pre-ND would have spiked me unacceptably high. These things do still raise my BG but its back down to acceptable levels within two hours. So far I've tested, baklava, a small portion of fish & chips (and mushy peas), buttered Lidl walnut and fig bread, a slice of gateau (shared with Mr Chook) and baked beans (200g portions). Some have gone better than others - I've tested every 30 minutes until back down to or below my pre-meal BG and I definitely won't be having baklava or the gateau (they were both far too sweet) :eek:

I think I prefer my low carb diet but it is nice to know that those 10 ND weeks were worthwhile.

Has any of the recent ND-ers been experimenting?
Very well done for achieving that.
It is funny - the longer mine goes the harder I am finding it - I thought it would be the other way around. I had a long drive recently and just thought about food the whole journey :) I hope this is my body crying our for calories who knows?

I hope to achieve about 10 weeks myself. When I complete the 8weeks on shakes etc. I intend to do a couple of weeks possibly three of 800ish and real food - and lovely low carb variants (I cannot wait for cheese!).

Then I will do some testing and publish some results. Within a few weeks I noted that I was able to tolerate the 80g of carbs and be less than 2mmol after 2 hours, but the spikes were still high though the decline rate was getting faster.

As I say - super well done to you - when you consider that at some point you were on insulin you should be so very pleased that you even had the courage to try some stuff!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thanks @Peerless67 - yes, I know what you mean exactly. Its that feeling of having achieved something positive for your health. It might be a difficult thing to do but I definitely think it was worthwhile for both of us.

Very well done for achieving that.
It is funny - the longer mine goes the harder I am finding it - I thought it would be the other way around. I had a long drive recently and just thought about food the whole journey :) I hope this is my body crying our for calories who knows?

I hope to achieve about 10 weeks myself. When I complete the 8weeks on shakes etc. I intend to do a couple of weeks possibly three of 800ish and real food - and lovely low carb variants (I cannot wait for cheese!).

Then I will do some testing and publish some results. Within a few weeks I noted that I was able to tolerate the 80g of carbs and be less than 2mmol after 2 hours, but the spikes were still high though the decline rate was getting faster.

As I say - super well done to you - when you consider that at some point you were on insulin you should be so very pleased that you even had the courage to try some stuff!

You're doing very well yourself - and, yes, I agree about the thinking about food all the time thing.

I don't think anyone with a normal healthy appetite would ever find ND easy.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Well.... I did an OGTT this morning with some mixed results. I used 750ml of Orange Juice which worked out at the right amount of glucose/sugar - and this is what happened. (I have no idea really what this test shows apart from that I was an idiot not to have something substantial to eat once it had finished.)

FBG at 08.00 - 4.9

08.45 - 5.8 - Drank the OJ
09.00 - 7.8
09.15 - 8.4
09.30 - 9.8
09.45 - 9.4
10.00 - 10.7
10.15 - 9.3
10.30 - 9.3
10.45 - 9.2 - end of 2 hour test - decided to fast until dinner (big mistake)
11.00 - 8.3 - went out shopping
12.00 - 7.4 - still shopping
13.00 - 3.6 - felt a bit wobbly and trembly - long queue to pay in shop and then walked back to car
13.30 - 2.9 - had something to eat

Note to self: Next time I try this sort of thing I must remember to eat something at the end of the test.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooooooo well done for biting the bullet, and yes ... a good idea to eat after the test. I tested for 3 hours. I was dropping quickly but I had a cup of tea with milk and didn't go shopping, so I stabilised. You need to analyse your results and decide what happened. The levels themselves aren't of special interest unless it is done for a diagnosis, it is how quickly you return to normal that matters, and unfortunately you spoilt that bit by going shopping before that happened. :arghh:

Another minor point .... was orange juice a good idea? It may have contained the right amount of "sugar", but most of that is fructose in oranges and a degree of other things such as starch. The OGTT should be pure glucose/dextrose, not fructose as far as I am aware.

Hopefully you will see similar after effects to me with reduced base levels and have given your pancreas a kick start. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: ziggy_w