Freestyle libre sensor

Calv2504

Type of diabetes
Type 1
(this is my first post so please be nice lol) I have had diabetes now for just over 18 years. I am type 1. I'm 27 and was diagnosed when I was 9. Scariest thing ever! Ever since then I have always always struggled like mad with keeping my sugars down and controlling my hba1c. In September this year I was offered a trial of the freestyle libre sensor and honestly yes okay everyone isn't happy with the fact that in, what sounds like most places, it isn't available on the NHS but I cannot tell you all how much it helps how good it is and how much better you can do by using it. I have had to fund it myself since the trial but if anyone is thinking of getting one I can't reccomend it more! It is so helpful! Also by using it, it gives you an estimated hba1c and mine has never been better than what that has predicted for me. When I go back to clinic hopefully it will be true!

halmaxwell

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Have to agree, the trend analysis very helpful when trying to be active & it does encourage closer monitoring.
Should be available on NHS prescription now.
Two things would help - a link to iPhone allowing hypo/hyper alerts & the DVLA recognising interstitial monitoring for driving as this still needs blood testing

Hal M (type 3b diabetes-don’t you just hate those little gallstones when they stick where they are not wanted)

Reactions: Seeps

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I been using FL since it was launched. The estimated hba1c is pretty spot on with my hba1c tests at the hospital. It really is the best device ever and I couldn’t live without it. It’s the arrows that keep me on track and that have helped me to overcome my extreme fears of a hypo.
At night time I feel so much safer just knowing I can do a quick scan.

Reactions: Seeps and himtoo

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Welcome aboard, @Calv2504 . Been using libre for about a year now, incredibly useful. Have a look at Ambrosia System's Blucon transmitter. It sits on top of the libre sensor, reads it every 5 mins, bluetooths it to a mobile app, xDrip+. The graphs are a lot better, tells you if it thinks there's a low on the horizon, and rings the phone if you go too low or high, brilliant for avoiding night hypos. Not bad for a one off cost of about £100. Did a thread about it here:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...h-libre-blucon-and-xdrip.127195/#post-1575850

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
great post @Calv2504 :)
T1D here for 45 years -- got a free libre trial about 18 months ago -- amazing bit of kit
can't afford it full time -- but use it intermittently to help with trends and patterns

glad to have you on the team !!!!

D

Diabeticliberty

Sorry to rain a little bt on the Libre bonfire but the predicted A1c from my own sensors and reader is anywhere between 10 and 14 points out from my actual HbA1c. My last HbA1c was 46 my predicted A1c from my Libre was 32. I know a lot of users do not like to hear negative comments about the Libre and if this offends any of you then I apologise for it. The thing is though there are undoubtedly members of this Forum and guests who may be looking in trying to decide if Libre is for them and I personally believe that they should see it 'warts and all' and mine has bigger warts than the one on the end of my nose

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to rain a little bt on the Libre bonfire but the predicted A1c from my own sensors and reader is anywhere between 10 and 14 points out from my actual HbA1c. My last HbA1c was 46 my predicted A1c from my Libre was 32. I know a lot of users do not like to hear negative comments about the Libre and if this offends any of you then I apologise for it. The thing is though there are undoubtedly members of this Forum and guests who may be looking in trying to decide if Libre is for them and I personally believe that they should see it 'warts and all' and mine has bigger warts than the one on the end of my nose

Agreed about the estimated HbA1c. One of mine estimated it at 27. It was 41 if I remember correctly. Another estimated 34 and it was 44. I just ignore it. None of them has been within 10 points. My Libres have all read lower than my finger pricker, and some by some way. I ignore the levels but look for the actual amount of rise after eating (as these normally tally with my meter) and the length of time before returning to the pre-meal reading.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Just for info: https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/pharmacies-gp.../drug-tariff

I tried using the URL and when I clicked on Freestyle Libre Sensors I got contraceptives. Fortunately the poster on the Freestyle Libre Facebook page (worth looking at) also posted a picture of the price list, more importantly, what the NHS pay for these sensors. The green splodge is the sensor line.

free.jpg

In another thread I put what a pharmacist said about getting the sensor. It seems your GP can write a private prescription that the pharmacist fills. The problem being how much will your doctor charge for his/her signature and will the pharmacist do the same. Could easily end up costing more, but I will ask first.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
The problem being how much will your doctor charge for his/her signature and will the pharmacist do the same.

Just spoken to my pharmacist and he actually checked on his computer (so it must be right LOL). He confirmed that the cost to Boots is £35, but he would have to charge me £47.50.

The staff at my local surgery couldn't say if the GP would charge for a private prescription, but I see my GP on Monday so will ask her directly, she's pretty good.

It's such a shame that Abbott feel a 40% mark up on the cost of the sensor is justifiable. I suppose the answer is that it doesn't have to be justifiable. Screw them what you can get.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was at hoslital yesterday to see the specalist and I mentioned the Libre. His reply was, yes it's the future but you are looking at 2 years time because of how tight things are for the NHS.