diabetes survey

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you hoping to achieve from the survey? There are very few questions, and it seems to be geared towards some sort of gadget to help with exercise.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Why would I buy a watch to diagnose when I can get it free from a medically qualified health care professional who, by the way, are the only people who can make a diagnosis? I won't be getting in line for your fitness watch.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry, @croc22056, no-one wants to pour cold water on your enthusiasm, nor your project, but the questionnaire needs a bit more thought and planning before it's likely to be useful to you. Also I believe you'd get more and better co-operation if you gave a little info about yourself and your colleague, such as: age (are you at school, college, uni), purpose of the survey (is it a class project, or are you in process of trying to produce a saleable product).

No.1 is a yes/no question, yet it gives multiple-choice answers (do you want one answer, or 'as many as apply' answers), all other questions are completely subjective with answers depending upon the mind-set & attitude of the individual, 3 and 4 are the same question, asked in a different way. Replies will be of no use to you - or anyone else.

Sorry, you need to discuss this with your mentor (find one if you don't have one at the moment) - for the future, perhaps trial any questionnaire amongst your family & friends before going public.

croc22056

Hi, so I'm currently still in secondary school. the project that I'm doing is an innovation class project, where we are supposed to come up with an innovative product that helps in wellness. We came up with an idea, which is that it could detect blood glucose levels in a similar way to the freestyle libre.It's my first time setting up surveys and I know that it isn't very good, are there any tips you could give me regarding the survey?
I have already edited the survey, Its still in the same link.
Is it better now?
Thanks

RobyJaxx

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @croc22056, my advice is to restrict the survey to diabetes (also given that this is a forum for people with diabetes). I am not an expert in the medical field but I think some people would struggle to consider cancer as a diet-related chronic disease. You also need to distinguish between types of diabetes, at least have three options (Type 1; Type 2; and other). Question 2 about the severity (note spelling mistake) is too vague? How is one supposed to "measure" severity? For example, you could ask at time of diagnose what was your blood glucose level and then assess the severity of the condition based on these data (you will have to do some research about diabetes, e.g., what is high or seriously high glucose level?), which might work for a Type 2 diabetic but I am not sure for Type 1. For questions 3 and 4 you can use a pre-existing scale to measure knowledge of diabetes. You can find a few examples of scales at this link http://diabetesresearch.med.umich.edu/Tools_SurveyInstruments.php#dkt Choose the scale(s) that you think better suit your needs and simplify (e.g. no more than 5 items per question). You can rephrase question 4 as "compared to when you were first diagnosed..." do not say "even". You can split question 5 in two-three questions, depending on what this device can do. For example, would you use a device (what device? a mobile app?) to monitor a) your glucose level; b) your heart rate; c) your blood pressure; d) level of physical activity (e.g., step counting). Then for each of these items you will have to use a scale (yes/no) it is too reductive:
Definitely won’t (1); Probably won’t (2) ; Not sure (3); Probably will (4); Definitely will (5) (The numbers help you to work out the value of each item . So if 5 people have answered "probably won't" the value for this item will be 2x5 = 10). In this way you work out the frequency of responses for each item that you will have to use to do the data analysis and draw your conclusions. More scales that you can use can be found at this link: https://www.extension.iastate.edu/Documents/ANR/LikertScaleExamplesforSurveys.pdf

Good luck with your project!

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, so I'm currently still in secondary school. the project that I'm doing is an innovation class project, where we are supposed to come up with an innovative product that helps in wellness. We came up with an idea, which is that it could detect blood glucose levels in a similar way to the freestyle libre.It's my first time setting up surveys and I know that it isn't very good, are there any tips you could give me regarding the survey?
I have already edited the survey, Its still in the same link.
Is it better now?
Thanks
The product sounds good and would be useful for type 2s when exercising... I would suggest you do some research into diabetes if this is the market you are aiming for.
Diabetes is very individual (I.e how it effects each person is individual to them, as in how they react to food and exercise),
I agree with @RobyJaxx for question changes (tweaks) and definitely for the research, for a product like this it would have to be accurate in its testing, so you would have to plan how you would ensure this... (if blood glucose levels go too high (hyperglycemia) or too low (hypoglycemia) during exercise it can cause diabetic coma and even Death!!!)
You would also have to look at medication, if the product is suitable for people who use insulin or who are on a pump... remember the number given by product for Bgl dictates if and how much insulin needs to be taken so if the product is out by a certain amount could lead to someone taking too much or too little which would cause the above mentioned problems.

So to sum up I would say:
1) more research is needed into the condition you are marketing for.

2) RE write the questionnaire based upon afore mentioned research.

Hope you do well, you can always come back here for help and advice we would be very happy to assist.

Reactions: RobyJaxx

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would I buy a watch to diagnose when I can get it free from a medically qualified health care professional who, by the way, are the only people who can make a diagnosis? I won't be getting in line for your fitness watch.
We do however buy our own testing kits to check Bgl... as someone who has a great deal of knowledge, who helps a lot of people on here I am sure you would be able to give these kids some excellent and invaluable help in what the product would need etc! ;)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We do however buy our own testing kits to check Bgl... as someone who has a great deal of knowledge, who helps a lot of people on here I am sure you would be able to give these kids some excellent and invaluable help in what the product would need etc! ;)

It was the 'Diagnosis' part of the question that raised my hackles. We see people joining the forum who might expect a diagnosis from a list of symptoms and we rightly suggest they go to a gp. Yes, we buy meters but a meter cannot diagnose and would mean little to the uninitiated. Sorry, but my nasty suspicious mind makes me think that a watch that can be marketed on the premise that it can actually diagnose certain illnesses wouldn't pass regulations and, for me, would suggest scam.

Reactions: Crystalwand

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @croc22056, many thanks for replying, and I see that @RobyJaxx has given you some really good pointers to help out. Sadly, I have little experience of surveys - and it has been many years since I was at school. I don't think I can help much, but hope that by posting this, it will bring your request further up the 'recent posts' list, so that others with better ability than me can add to the good start that Robyjaxx has given.

One thing I have to say, though, is - there are many people who would be turned off by the assumption that diabetes, of whatever variety, is a diet-related disease! (If people are overweight, often it is caused by the diabetes, not the other way around). It is a 'blame the victim' attitude that is put out by some medical professionals, and people who know little beyond what they read in the media and who then make negative judgements against overweight people. Please read up about causes of diabetes, educate yourselves about symptoms & living with it. Armed with that knowledge, will help you come up with a useful survey. Lots of info in the Home page of this site (click on the 'Home' tab at top of any page). I know little about the other diseases mentioned - but are they really diet-related?

I would strongly suggest that you change the topic title heading & delete reference to diet-related in Q.1 (or anywhere else in the questionnaire). Q.5 delete 'diagnose'. I suspect that perhaps in your minds you may be confusing 'diagnose' with 'monitor', in that, say, for example, if checking blood glucose levels, one then finds that their levels are high, one can then 'diagnose' oneself and say - "ah, I need to do something about reducing my high blood glucose level". That sort of thing comes under 'monitoring' and 'managing', not 'diagnosing'.

For each of the questions, ask yourselves: what's the point of this question? What will the answers tell us? How will those answers help us come up with a piece of equipment that helps monitor blood glucose? (assuming it is a "piece of equipment")

Remember - there are plenty of blood monitoring items on the market already - think about how your monitor will be easier/more accurate/ quicker/ better/cheaper/less invasive/all of those things/some of those things, or whatever.

Try not to worry too much - first time of doing something like this, it's going to be hard for you to get your head around it. Best thing I can suggest, is try to keep the questions as simple and straightforward as possible. You might think to yourself that it is too simple, too easy, too straightforward - believe me, it won't be!

croc22056

Hi ,
My 'product', which is a watch-like device, could work in a similar way to the freestyle libre in the monitoring part of it. As for the diagnosing part, it was more like a warning device in which it could "say" that you have high glucose levels and certain symptoms, go visit a GP, something like that. My idea was that to get a watch that could not only measure glucose levels, and such, but also act and function as a fitness tracker.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ,
My 'product', which is a watch-like device, could work in a similar way to the freestyle libre in the monitoring part of it. As for the diagnosing part, it was more like a warning device in which it could "say" that you have high glucose levels and certain symptoms, go visit a GP, something like that. My idea was that to get a watch that could not only measure glucose levels, and such, but also act and function as a fitness tracker.
Problem with the "diagnosis" part is as @Guzzler said... it can cause problems... most people get raised bgl when exercising as your liver dumps a load of glucose into your blood to make sure that your cells get extra food during a time when they need extra. This doesn't indicate diabetes, in fact there is a debate about whether the gtt is actually an accurate test as the morning blood sugars are the last to be effected by which time the damage has already been done! An earlier system would be better such as hba1c every 6mths rather than once a year to get on top of it and turn it around.
I do agree that more people should know what is happening with their bodies... but most people don't know anything about bgl! They may end up panicked by what would be normal levels! So to advertise this to the general public who don't understand the results being given to them is probably not a very good idea.
When we talk about blood glucose levels and needing research, you need to find out what the "norm" is and what the nhs guidelines are for "high" and "low".
All testing kits are out and I believe the market allows for 10% variation and obviously it gets worse the older it is (due to electronics need for calibration) so maybe you could suggest what your % for the watch would be...
What I would also suggest when introducing a product is first of all explain who you are (as most of us get paranoid from the constant spam/scam marketing as well as the questionnaire from GPS etc who are arrogant and condescending etc) so you will unfortunately get a closed response.
Then you need to say what the aim of this would be such as course work/project etc.
The introduction to the questionnaire is as important as the questionnaire.

Reactions: Crystalwand

croc22056

Problem with the "diagnosis" part is as @Guzzler said... it can cause problems... most people get raised bgl when exercising as your liver dumps a load of glucose into your blood to make sure that your cells get extra food during a time when they need extra. This doesn't indicate diabetes, in fact there is a debate about whether the gtt is actually an accurate test as the morning blood sugars are the last to be effected by which time the damage has already been done! An earlier system would be better such as hba1c every 6mths rather than once a year to get on top of it and turn it around.
I do agree that more people should know what is happening with their bodies... but most people don't know anything about bgl! They may end up panicked by what would be normal levels! So to advertise this to the general public who don't understand the results being given to them is probably not a very good idea.
When we talk about blood glucose levels and needing research, you need to find out what the "norm" is and what the nhs guidelines are for "high" and "low".
All testing kits are out and I believe the market allows for 10% variation and obviously it gets worse the older it is (due to electronics need for calibration) so maybe you could suggest what your % for the watch would be...
What I would also suggest when introducing a product is first of all explain who you are (as most of us get paranoid from the constant spam/scam marketing as well as the questionnaire from GPS etc who are arrogant and condescending etc) so you will unfortunately get a closed response.
Then you need to say what the aim of this would be such as course work/project etc.
The introduction to the questionnaire is as important as the questionnaire.

Oh, actually I have already done so earlier on. I'll just give you a short description of why I'm here. That is because I have a project that I'm doing which is an innovation class project, where we are supposed to come up with an innovative product that helps in wellness. I m still in secondary school BTW. as in mentioned earlier, its more of a managing and monitoring device, but I can understand why it seems so. Anyways, thanks for all the tips you guys have given me:}

Reactions: Salvia

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
just one more thing,
anyone knows how the sensor filament part of the freestyle libre contains/work?

I don't use it, so can't help directly. Try an on-line search with google, or any search engine - bet there's loads of stuff out there. Just enter: Freestyle Libre.

You could also try a search on this site - use the search box on the top right of the page.

Good luck

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
There's that accursed invented word "wellness" again :banghead:

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, actually I have already done so earlier on. I'll just give you a short description of why I'm here. That is because I have a project that I'm doing which is an innovation class project, where we are supposed to come up with an innovative product that helps in wellness. I m still in secondary school BTW. as in mentioned earlier, its more of a managing and monitoring device, but I can understand why it seems so. Anyways, thanks for all the tips you guys have given me:}
You didn't understand, but that's fine, I saw that other post which explained that, what I was trying to say was that that post should have been the introduction !!!
As I explained the reason why you haven't had the best response is actually because people didn't know that... had your opening/introduction been that post or even this one, I am sure the replies would have been a lot better!
As for how the sensor works...:bag: I should know as my dad was developing the pen which can read bgl through the skin without need of finger pricking etc (kind of like your product), but never really paid attention to how it works... a google search may be beneficial for that.

croc22056

You didn't understand, but that's fine, I saw that other post which explained that, what I was trying to say was that that post should have been the introduction !!!
As I explained the reason why you haven't had the best response is actually because people didn't know that... had your opening/introduction been that post or even this one, I am sure the replies would have been a lot better!
As for how the sensor works...:bag: I should know as my dad was developing the pen which can read bgl through the skin without need of finger pricking etc (kind of like your product), but never really paid attention to how it works... a google search may be beneficial for that.

Now I see the light.....
I have already google-searched and everything searched. Nothing on what the sensor filament contains such that it is able to monitor bgl.
And I thought that since your may have used it, your may know.
BTW, did the pen work?

D

Deleted member 308541

I have already google-searched and everything searched. Nothing on what the sensor filament contains such that it is able to monitor bgl.
Seek and you will find.

Test strips: A consumable element containing chemicals that react with glucose in the drop of blood is used for each measurement.

For some models this element is a plastic test strip with a small spot impregnated with glucose oxidase and other components.

Each strip is used once and then discarded. Instead of strips, some models use discs, drums, or cartridges that contain the consumable material for multiple tests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_meter

Wait! there is more here:

https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-diabetes-test-strips/