Exercise

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi am Type 2 on metformin I have started gym and tested my bloods after exercising and they were 4.2 my question is can you exercise yourself into a hypo?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, anyone can but 4.2 is not a hypo and given a functioning liver it will correct matters before you are in any real danger. Also I have spent a lot of time on here listening to people who got higher blood sugars with exercise. It never happened to me but my exercise is more or less confined to walking these days.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I too found slow to moderate walking after meals did the best for my bs. But that’s not to say the gym is a bad thing. I did that for years.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes some can, I cant it seems, it is more seldom that type 2 hypoes but yes it is poosible... i think I only ever hypoed when having been drinking a lot..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi am Type 2 on metformin I have started gym and tested my bloods after exercising and they were 4.2 my question is can you exercise yourself into a hypo?
What medication are you taking (if any)?

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too am on Metformin and after an hours aerobic exercise plus some weights my blood glucose tends to drop by between 2 and 3 but I never get to the hypo stage.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sometimes find exercise in gym or swimming pool gives a slight rise, immediately after, followed by a reduction within an hour. Never too low, though.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The word "hypo" is not very well defined....

Someone who is on insulin who gets a 'hypo' is likely to find that their BG keeps going down until they eat carbs, or are dead, regardless of how much rest they take etc. Somone who is just on Metformin many feel weak and unwell due to their BG dropping, but their BG will recover if all they do is sit in a warm room.

When marathon running's ‘bonk’ or ‘hits the wall’ it due to their BG dropping, yet we don’t call it a 'hypo' because 99.9% of the time they recover just by stopping running...... The feeling is just as real, regardless of what it is called.

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It was 8 then after 45 min in gym it dropped to 6 then half hour swim dropped it to 4.2

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
4.2 is not low unless your body is used to 8...... I expect that in a few weeks time you not even notice if your BG drops to 4.2