Freestyle Libre

New2T1D

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Things that are unfair.
Have been using this for months, with really close results between blood and isf readings. It has been amazing BUT......Then bought a box of 10 and used 3 in a row, ALL of which were excessively inaccurate at 100% + wrong/ higher. My son thought he was at 5.5, felt hypo and was at 2!!! So this was very dangerous. I emailed Abbot, asking if I could return what was clearly a faulty box of 7 remaining, as I didn't trust them. They refused as they have to be returned within 14 days. This was despite me explaining the issue and the DANGEROUS level of the inaccuracy. So I bought more and - touch wood - they have been fine again. Now I have 7 sensors that I do not trust, that expire in Jan 2018. Any ideas welcome.

Isn't this so disappointing, when they are due to launch as a prescription product? Looking at my son's chart, which cleanly shows the errors/ inaccuracies, this would be terrible press for Abbot. If my local surgery saw it, there's no way I'd get it provided on prescription, I imagine.

We are still using the product, but feel rather cheated, to the sum of £350 worth of potentially useless sensors. I have suggested this to so many people, who ended up using it and paying their cash to Abbot, like me :-(

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't know where you live, but a number of people in the UK (where this forum is housed) have posted that Abbot replaced their faulty/questionable sensors right away after a call/complaint about inaccuracy or about the thing simply failing to put out a signal. You might consider calling back and if the dude gives you the same spiel, ask to speak to their supervisor/superior. They shouldn't make you eat $350 worth of potentially worthless sensors. Trust me the things probably cost them about $6 each.

Reactions: Ixarix

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you buy a starter pack, you get two sensors. How could the 14 day rule apply when you will obviously not be using that second sensor within that time frame. Sounds odd. Would take this further personally. Would also buy weekly so it arrives just before you need it. A pain but at least you can use the free delivery code.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you buy a starter pack, you get two sensors. How could the 14 day rule apply when you will obviously not be using that second sensor within that time frame. Sounds odd. Would take this further personally. Would also buy weekly so it arrives just before you need it. A pain but at least you can use the free delivery code.
He said he's been using it for months, and bought a box of 10 sensors and used 3 of them before he finally figured out they were all screwed up and called the company. So he probably bought the box 6 weeks ago, and gave them the benefit of the doubt because the first few months were great. I'd ask if they have the number for Dexcom if they told him to shove it again. Like I said a box of those things doesn't cost them $50.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He said he's been using it for months, and bought a box of 10 sensors and used 3 of them before he finally figured out they were all screwed up and called the company. So he probably bought the box 6 weeks ago, and gave them the benefit of the doubt because the first few months were great. I'd ask if they have the number for Dexcom if they told him to shove it again. Like I said a box of those things doesn't cost them $50.

Yes, my point was that if the company themselves market something you are not going to use within the 14 days, how can they then have a 14 day cut off.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While they probably won't accept returns for all of the 7 you have left, you are 100% within your right to report any faulty sensors to them and they will replace them. I have personally had two sensors that were completely off (reading far lower than I really was, so in order for me to stay within the healthy range the sensor would read LOW all the time). They asked for a few comparison readings between sensor and reader and then replaced each sensor with no problems.

Mark_1

I would ask to return the 3 faulty ones for replacements and continue with the others to see if they are also faulty. Their 14 day rule does not apply legally if the sensor is faulty. Speak to trading standards if you have further problems. I have fallen out of love with Libre some time ago. I think once other companies come in to the market they will struggle. It’s hugely overpriced.

Reactions: Ixarix and Levy
D

Diabeticliberty

On a semi related issue I have just rang Abbott Customer Services to chase a replacement sensor for yet another faulty one that I had. They fumbled some weak excuse and then told me the real reason was that demand is outstripping supply (their words not mine) He said they had orders last week for multiple thousands of units. At around fifty quid per pop they are doing extremely well out us thank you.

New2T1D

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Things that are unfair.
Thanks to everyone. I did buy the box of 10 because I believed I'd use them all - so why not? Less postage. We're way past the first starter pack (!) I bought another starter pack recently, after the 10 box issue, so I could even try a new reader, but it's the sensors that were out. The two with this new reader were fine and I've now ordered a box of 4 more. I'm not going to order 10 in one go again. We had thrown the first two into the sharps bin and started the third, thinking we'd just been unlucky - and then the third one was as bad, so we kept it. We have that one, but no box or serial number. I have the email from Abbot insisting that the serial number of the used one is needed - tip: don't throw away your box until you know the sensor is ok - and that I can't return the 7 unopened ones that I believe may be faulty, as they haven't been proven to be. But it's a bit of a coincidence. You can see why I don't trust the remaining ones - but Abbot need the evidence and I won't take the risk of a serious hypo that reads as well above 4. While I'm relieved that we're back to normal service with the new sensors, I do feel a bit cheated.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to everyone. I did buy the box of 10 because I believed I'd use them all - so why not? Less postage. We're way past the first starter pack (!) I bought another starter pack recently, after the 10 box issue, so I could even try a new reader, but it's the sensors that were out. The two with this new reader were fine and I've now ordered a box of 4 more. I'm not going to order 10 in one go again. We had thrown the first two into the sharps bin and started the third, thinking we'd just been unlucky - and then the third one was as bad, so we kept it. We have that one, but no box or serial number. I have the email from Abbot insisting that the serial number of the used one is needed - tip: don't throw away your box until you know the sensor is ok - and that I can't return the 7 unopened ones that I believe may be faulty, as they haven't been proven to be. But it's a bit of a coincidence. You can see why I don't trust the remaining ones - but Abbot need the evidence and I won't take the risk of a serious hypo that reads as well above 4. While I'm relieved that we're back to normal service with the new sensors, I do feel a bit cheated.
The serial number is printed on the side of the sensor, so as long as you've still got that you can get it from there :)

Reactions: New2T1D

DobbieTheElf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been using this for months, with really close results between blood and isf readings. It has been amazing BUT......Then bought a box of 10 and used 3 in a row, ALL of which were excessively inaccurate at 100% + wrong/ higher. My son thought he was at 5.5, felt hypo and was at 2!!! So this was very dangerous. I emailed Abbot, asking if I could return what was clearly a faulty box of 7 remaining, as I didn't trust them. They refused as they have to be returned within 14 days. This was despite me explaining the issue and the DANGEROUS level of the inaccuracy. So I bought more and - touch wood - they have been fine again. Now I have 7 sensors that I do not trust, that expire in Jan 2018. Any ideas welcome.

Isn't this so disappointing, when they are due to launch as a prescription product? Looking at my son's chart, which cleanly shows the errors/ inaccuracies, this would be terrible press for Abbot. If my local surgery saw it, there's no way I'd get it provided on prescription, I imagine.

We are still using the product, but feel rather cheated, to the sum of £350 worth of potentially useless sensors. I have suggested this to so many people, who ended up using it and paying their cash to Abbot, like me :-(
Maybe it is the 15 minute thing? Just remember hypos happen suddenly, and the sensors are giving you a BS reading of 15 minutes before you scan...