New here...worried momma

eminniear587

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My son was diagnosed with t1d when he was 18 months. He hasn't been sick while diabetic yet...except today. I checked his temp and it was 100.5, he doesn't want to eat and is barely even drinking milk. Is there any advice you would give Me? I'm not sure what to do or what could happen or if anything will happen?? We're still fairly new to this...

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May I suggest that your first port of call is the doctor. They should know your son's history, medications etc. and be able to check him out and answer your questions.
On an on-going basis I'm sure other T1s or parents on here may be able to offer advice.
Good luck

Reactions: eminniear587

SHmano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a a Juvenile diabetic on Insulin for many years now. Even I had gone through thee same phase. Hence I can say that there are many reasons why Type I diabetic children fall sick. If the sugar levels are high the first symptom is sickness. Consult your doctor immediately.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My son was diagnosed with t1d when he was 18 months. He hasn't been sick while diabetic yet...except today. I checked his temp and it was 100.5, he doesn't want to eat and is barely even drinking milk. Is there any advice you would give Me? I'm not sure what to do or what could happen or if anything will happen?? We're still fairly new to this...

Bless you both it’s so hard when they’re ill without this illness as well!

Remember to continue with basal injections but you don’t need to bolus unless he’s eaten carbs. Keep an eye out for hypos if he’s off his food too.

A call to your DSN may help, that’s what they’re there for

Hope he gets better soon x

eminniear587

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you so much everyone!! We called the Dr. She said to check ketones and make sure he gets plenty of fluids and rest. She also says he has to eat which is hard to make a toddler eat! But he's doing better, thank you so much for your replies!!

leahkian

Try to give him just little bits of food as making sure he has lots of fluids is the main thing, do not worry if his BS are a bit high this is normal for any diabetic who is unwell. If you feel that he is getting worse use your gut feeling as mums no best. hope the little fella gets better soon. While he is unwell keep checking for keytones just in case better to be safe than sorry and if you need any more questions answered or just want to blow off some steam we are here for you, my poor parents had me at 3 years old as a diabetic in 1979 when there was nothing like this around and i am still causing problems for them!!!!!