Water fasting

bobofthewalk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am one day into a water fast competition with a friend. To see who can last the longest. I am a 30 year old type 1 on novorapid and lantus. Just wanted to ask if anyone has done this before and how they adjusted their lantus. I normally take 22 units per day and today I took 16 to adjust for the fast. I went for a nap just after lantus and woke up hypo 3 hours later. So will probably lower this again tomorrow. Any other comments and advice from someone who has done this before would be great. Thank you.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Doesn't that mean your Lantus dose is too high though? Lantus (as any other background insulin) is supposed to only deal with whatever the liver secretes throughout the day (so theoretically should keep you fairly stable while fasting), while Novorapid takes care of any carb intake.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @bobofthewalk ,

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like the "competition" is a good chance to do a basal test & tweak the Lantus dose?
https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

Did you find yourself snacking whilst no bolus was on board to stop hypos? (Prior to dropping the units for the fast?)

Reactions: Levy

bobofthewalk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @bobofthewalk ,

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like the "competition" is a good chance to do a basal test & tweak the Lantus dose?

Did you find yourself snacking whilst no bolus was on board to stop hypos? (Prior to dropping the units for the fast?)

Hi Jaylee.

I’ve never heard of this app before. I will download now and see what it’s about.

I had 2 hypos last night but just had a few dextrose. I reduced my lantus from 22 to 16 but obviously that was not enough so today I have reduced again to 10.

Cheers for the app recommendation.

bobofthewalk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Doesn't that mean your Lantus dose is too high though? Lantus (as any other background insulin) is supposed to only deal with whatever the liver secretes throughout the day (so theoretically should keep you fairly stable while fasting), while Novorapid takes care of any carb intake.

Hi Levy.

Yes you are probably right. I never knew that about lantus being for that purpose.

I’m pretty sure I’m in ketosis and have heard that as long as I keep my blood sugar under 10 and drink plenty of water that it’s actually healthy?

Cheers

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know much about fasting or ketosis, but I guess if anything else it's a great way of getting your basal dose sorted! Good luck with it (rather you than me )

Reactions: bobofthewalk

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How long are you planning to far for? Water only will have a serious adverse effect on your electrolyte balance and will make you feel awful.

bobofthewalk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long are you planning to far for? Water only will have a serious adverse effect on your electrolyte balance and will make you feel awful.

Well I’ve won the competition already so I had some fruit juice tonight and some omega 3 pills. I’ll probably stay off solid food another day and see how I feel. I’m not hungry now and food cravings have got easier to manage. I’ve noticed very small amounts of novorapid drastically change my BG readings. So I’m keen to keep experimenting with this and record it all in my new mySugr app :)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I’ve won the competition already so I had some fruit juice tonight and some omega 3 pills. I’ll probably stay off solid food another day and see how I feel. I’m not hungry now and food cravings have got easier to manage. I’ve noticed very small amounts of novorapid drastically change my BG readings. So I’m keen to keep experimenting with this and record it all in my new mySugr app :)

I’m fasting too, day 5 at the moment but I’m taking bone broth and I’m a non insulin dependent diabetic. Did you find the fruit juice was a bit of a massive sugar hit? Are you adding some salt to your fast?
Jason Fung is the go to Dr for fasting.

Reactions: bobofthewalk