Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks for the link. Interesting how the site researched itself in that the question of efficacy must have been discussed enough to have merited the poll in the first place. And the outcome? Of course it is empowering to gain and share knowledge.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thankyou,Pipp,I found this really interesting.

It was great that the poll wasn't just a tick box excercise but actually encompassed members' opinions.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the link. Interesting how the site researched itself in that the question of efficacy must have been discussed enough to have merited the poll in the first place. And the outcome? Of course it is empowering to gain and share knowledge.
It was research from an independent academic researcher, with cooperation of DCUK .

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It was research from an independent academic researcher, with cooperation of DCUK .
Sorry, my point should have been clearer. I meant that on being approached there must have been discussions on whether the research findings would be of benefit in themselves. Enough to allow members to be polled, if that makes sense?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As to the original question.
According to Wikipedia the site was launched in 2002. I remember there being a forum when I was diagnosed in 2004 . This had the symbol of a hummingbird, not unlike that used by Diabetes UK at the time ( I remember being quite cross about the similar logo and the name of the website causing confusion which is one reason. I didn't join at the time ).
My 'memory' which might be based on a false assumption was that the people who ran the forum had to close down in c 2007 at which point some members started another small , still existing forum. Then the present owners took over management. However, it maybe that I have muddled 2 forums in my memory.(?)
The wayback machine supports the Wikipedia date with Sitefinders owning the domain back in 2002 (and anonymous owning the domain name before that) The archived earlier pages certainly have the hummingbird logo as I remember it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
As to the original question.
According to Wikipedia the site was launched in 2002. I remember there being a forum when I was diagnosed in 2004 . This had the symbol of a hummingbird, not unlike that used by Diabetes UK at the time ( I remember being quite cross about the similar logo and the name of the website causing confusion which is one reason. I didn't join at the time ).
My 'memory' which might be based on a false assumption was that the people who ran the forum had to close down in c 2007 and the present owners took over management.
However, The wayback machine supports the Wikipedia date with Sitefinders owning the domain in 2002 (and anonymous owning the domain name before that) The archived earlier pages have the hummingbird logo as I remember it.
Cheers for that.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Erm excuse me. Please stop selling yourself way too short. All an Internet Forum can do is offer advice and support. It is you who have done all the really hard work.

WHOOPS almost forgot. Really, really well done with it :)

Why thank you!! It might be true that all a site can do is offer advice and support but if its the wrong advice then you are much worse off if you follow it!! (Does that make sense?) The advice I found on here was the total reversal of the advice given by my surgery. If I had followed thier advice and support I would now weigh much the same and be heading towards a higher hbalc.

The posters on here have often backed up thier advice with links to.recent research, evidence based practice and personal testimony that what they do WORKS. So, once again, thank you.all.

Off the op topic, I know, but important to me.

Reactions: Grateful