Sharps box

John987

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi this might be a silly question. I bought my sharps box back in August when I first started testing my levels. However the box will soon be full do I need a licence to dispose of box and where do I take my sharps too.

Kind Regards John

D

Deleted Account

Unfortunately, the answer depends on where you live.
- In some areas, GP surgeries will take sharps boxes. Although, I have read about some that will only take them if you had the sharps box on prescription.
- In some areas, the council are responsible for sharps collection.
- In some areas, pharmacists will take them.

Your best bet is to ask at your local GP surgery.

Sorry I can't be more informative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi this might be a silly question. I bought my sharps box back in August when I first started testing my levels. However the box will soon be full do I need a licence to dispose of box and where do I take my sharps too.

Kind Regards John
Don't use a sharps bin myself but there must be someone here that does and will come along to tell you what they do with theirs

Millymay2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Take them to your surgery or phone your local council and they should have someone who collects. I have mine collected each time my brother takes his to the surgery and we both have the same surgery.
Hope that helps.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to be collecting mine in a cupboard as just forget to take them anywhere! ;)

In theory, since they came on prescription from my medical centre, they should go back there. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow when I have to pick up a prescription.

D

Deleted Account

I thought they were given free if you have insulin needles to dispose of
I had no sharps box until two years ago. I was told to put needles in a plastic bottle and put that out with the rubbish. Sounds extreme but I found fabric softener bottles more robust than drinks bottles and always placed full ones in the middle of my rubbish so they didn't get crushed.
I now have official sharps bins but still use small bottles when I go on holiday and decant into the official bin when I get home.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
take it to your doctors. according to the wife our health board scotland have a policy of insulin needlesare meant to be in a separate container than standard sharps. naturally i ignore that. even the empty pens are meant to go in the sharps box.

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
I was told to return mine to my GP surgery, however it's stated many places that your local council are responsible for collecting and disposing of sharps boxes - check you local councils website or give them a call to enquire about this.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP will take mine but the local council also has a collection policy on their website

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I read that a member takes the sharp from the plastic holder and throws the plastic bit into the recycling bin and the needle into the sharps box. It would take ages to fill a box and I thought it was a grand idea which I took to doing.

Millymay2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When I was given insulin I was told to telephone my local council and get a Sharpe's box delivered and to put all the pens .needles ect in and when it was full to telephone and they collect one and leave a replacement.Before that I used
a cardboard container sealed it and disposed of in the waisted.

hill4332

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I put in a prescription ,go to chemist pick up and replace when full with another script. Only problem I have is with trulicity as with their syringe you can't disconnect the needle and it means trying to get Four into a box- chemist now gives me a second taller box