surgery an high hbA1c

marty_kuh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
due for surgery on Friday an was told that it was borderline as to if they will perform the surgery,,i didnt think that Hba1c had a bearing on surgery but now i do. had a call from the pre opp nurse who said even though its a high hba1c test result they are going to do the operation. but how it has gone up by 10 is beyond me its been slowly but surely going down bit by bit. but if the result was right i am back to just below were i started this journey its not like i have gone off the rails been keeping to a regime i can cope with

so back to the drawing board again its really annoying that i was doing well by my standards to keep to a sort of diet that worked for me in the past an then to get this very high test result

Marty

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @marty_kuh sorry to hear that you feel you are back to square one. You don't mention what surgery you are having but stress and pain can raise levels also. Wishing you the best for your surgery and let us know how you get on

hawnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
judgemental people, billy liars,
I had my operation cancelled 4 weeks ago due to hba1c of 76, it was the wake up call I needed as I am now on the straight and narrow and hoping my next blood test will bring a more favourable decision. My app tells me I am heading for 40.

marty_kuh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my operation cancelled 4 weeks ago due to hba1c of 76, it was the wake up call I needed as I am now on the straight and narrow and hoping my next blood test will bring a more favourable decision. My app tells me I am heading for 40.

hi hawnet my hba1c was 68 an was a big jump from what it was. i was gradually getting it down, but now got to get back on track. i will do that once friday is over an done with unless they cancel when i get there

marty_kuh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
didn't mention what surgery i was having cos most of the guy's in her would be sat there wincing so just to clear it up having a Orchidectomy cos the nerve stripping 5 months ago didn't work

Reactions: Kevin259

shez

Hi I also had a pre op 2 weeks ago that came back just under the cut off wake up I needed
I have since cut all carbs out have lost 3 kg and sugars have been averaging 5 even my 1st morning one was 6.6 this morning that has never happened my surgery is Friday so hoping they will be happy

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Stress, sleep the usual things that push up results for no good reason when you are eating well and doing all you can. It happens to my BP too at times.

If it's going ahead relax, sounds easy but the more you do the faster your healing will be, both from the operation and your 1c levels.

If they are still quibbling the 1c result do you have a past record of being good? If so show them and see where it goes

good health and heal fast

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Fingers crossed for a swift recovery. Best wishes.

Reactions: marty_kuh

marty_kuh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bit of a downer today as all worked up to get opp done an they cancelled it at 1600hrs yesterday, but with good reason they had an emergency in the theatre an every one got bumped i was last on list so c'est la vie i will be back on the list, the nurse said they have 28 days to get me back in or they get fined. what is this world coming to when the NHS gets a fine. thanks for the support an hugs guys

Reactions: Kevin259

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of a downer today as all worked up to get opp done an they cancelled it at 1600hrs yesterday, but with good reason they had an emergency in the theatre an every one got bumped i was last on list so c'est la vie i will be back on the list, the nurse said they have 28 days to get me back in or they get fined. what is this world coming to when the NHS gets a fine. thanks for the support an hugs guys

Hi marty_kuh - The HbA1c guidelines pre-surgery, for elective surgery relate to potential for infection and post-op complications, so the tighter the control, thebetter.

As you say, it must be a disappointment to be bumped back, but a great chance to continue trying to get that HbA1c in as good a place as you can.

I'm not a boy type person, but I still crossed my legs for you. Good luck with it all, and hopefully it'll solve your underlying issues.

marty_kuh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi marty_kuh - The HbA1c guidelines pre-surgery, for elective surgery relate to potential for infection and post-op complications, so the tighter the control, thebetter.

As you say, it must be a disappointment to be bumped back, but a great chance to continue trying to get that HbA1c in as good a place as you can.

I'm not a boy type person, but I still crossed my legs for you. Good luck with it all, and hopefully it'll solve your underlying issues.

yep got a month or less to wait at least it wasn't cancelled because of high Hba1c. just got to get my finger pricks to a reasonable level

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
what is this world coming to when the NHS gets a fine. thanks for the support an hugs guys

It's not a fine, it just that the hospital gets paid less for the operation if they give you a low quality of service. The money remains in the NHS. But the "numbers" for the given "service line" will not look as good, so the manager and lead consultant will have to come up with an improvement plan. It used to be that hospitals cancel operations to save money towards the end of their accounting year, they can't do this anymore as their income also goes down, hence forcing them to face up the issues in how they are run.

shez

Well I had my surgery went in with 2 weeks of perfect sugar levels after the op they gave me toast and marmalade for breakfast it was 2 white rolls and jam and they wondered why my levels went up through the roof, I called hubby got him to bring me in stuff I could eat and levels back to normal.

marty_kuh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I had my surgery went in with 2 weeks of perfect sugar levels after the op they gave me toast and marmalade for breakfast it was 2 white rolls and jam and they wondered why my levels went up through the roof, I called hubby got him to bring me in stuff I could eat and levels back to normal.
best wishes for a speedy recovery shez stilll trying to get my levels right

marty_kuh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well that was a surprise all rescheduled for the 7th Dec walked in to an answerfone message an dealt with on the tellingbone

Reactions: donnellysdogs