Diabetes Professional Care Conference

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some interesting reports here including one from Dr Anna Brackenridge, Consultant in Diabetes at Guy’s and St. Thomas’ hospital, who has been speaking about the FreeStyle Libre. I've read that some (particularly T1s I believe) use one but she seems to be advocating wider use of testing - cost being the prohibiting factor. Link here - I hope: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2017/11/live-diabetes-professional-care-conference-2017/
Also discussions about low carbing and obesity. Anyhow worth a look.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
All together very interesting. Not sure why but this statement attracted my attention.

In other words, adiposity, while associated with type 2 diabetes, is not likely the cause.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some interesting reports here including one from Dr Anna Brackenridge, Consultant in Diabetes at Guy’s and St. Thomas’ hospital, who has been speaking about the FreeStyle Libre. I've read that some (particularly T1s I believe) use one but she seems to be advocating wider use of testing - cost being the prohibiting factor. Link here - I hope: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2017/11/live-diabetes-professional-care-conference-2017/
Also discussions about low carbing and obesity. Anyhow worth a look.
Thanks for this, @Jo_the_boat . I remember in the 1980s glucose meters were very expensive and very much a considered purchase. Glad my dad bought me one back then! I am heartened by what Dr Anna Brackenridge has said about the Libre becoming more affordable in time.
:)

Reactions: Ixarix

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cost and profit play a central role in health debates (particularly statins).
As diabetics we (probably) realize that looking after ourselves is the most important part of tackling the condition. Yes, we need advice (whether that is good or bad is part of a wider debate of course) but after we're cut loose, at least for a few months before our next check-ups, we need as much help as we can get to tackle things. Self-monitoring surely must be part of that (in many cases) to help understand fluctuations and management of the condition.
Short-termism is art of the problem. £100 spent now cold save the NHS £1000 down the line, but the £100 isn't available, or so we're told. I've seen posts on here where people can't afford meters, frightened people who want to help themselves but are unable to do so. Wrong surely.

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m on my 2nd sensor now for the Libre, and I can’t imagine not having it now. I have to pay out of pocket at the moment, but it is an expense I’m willing to shoulder for now. As a new diabetic it has been a tremendous help to get a handle on things.

Reactions: Guzzler

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I know Anna quite well, and have had a number of discussions with her relating to Libre on the NHS. She's a very forward thinking senior consultant, and I've had many discussions with her relating to Fiasp and also the wearenotwaiting DIY looping technologies.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m on my 2nd sensor now for the Libre, and I can’t imagine not having it now. I have to pay out of pocket at the moment, but it is an expense I’m willing to shoulder for now. As a new diabetic it has been a tremendous help to get a handle on things.
You and many others I suspect. The worrying thing is that most people are either unaware of the benefits or can't afford them. Great to know how much of a help it's been to you.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Most impressed by Gore and A4D. For a newly diagnosed T1 a group like this must show that 'life as I knew it is over' is not true at all. There is a need for groups/charities like this but I suspect that they are few and far between.