Just started on Victoza and diet change

Rabra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Noticed a lot of threads on Victoza are from a while ago, so thought I'd start a new one. Just somewhere to write how I'm going, for a little more motivation.
That's me completed my first week on Victoza, with a dose of 0.6ml. This goes up to 1.2ml from tomorrow. I inject first thing in the morning when I get up or get home from a nightshift.
Only side effect to date has been a couple of days of mild diarrhoea, nothing to write home about though. I also completely changed my diet 11 days ago, so this may have affected it too.
Fasting mmol/l on the morning of day 1 was 11.4, 9.4 after a couple of days, and 8.4 this morning. Not done any before or 2 hours after eating readings yet.
Not hoping to be on Victoza for long. I was thinking around 6 months max depending on the weight loss I can achieve.
I've gave up alcohol, which is a massive saving on calories. I've also stopped eating bread, and haven't had any sweets in 11 days., although I do have a daily biscuit. I've had as many packets of crisps in 11 days as I'd easily have eaten in a day.
My eating is now mainly lower carb/not too much processed food. I'm also trying to sleep more.
11 days in, 1st 2lb down due to initial changes, long way to go.

Reactions: Nicel and Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!
Sounds like a really positive step for you.
Please keep posting and letting us know how you get on.

Victoza doesn’t get much mention on the forum, so the more info you feel like giving, the more it will help other members. For instance, I was unaware that diarrhoea was a listed side effect - from an injection - so thank you for that info.

hill4332

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was on Victosa and whilst I lost some weight and levels came down when on 0.6 it went the other way when I went to the higher dose .It then stabilised ,have now been changed to insulin and Trulicity . Personally Victosa did not work long term ,at least Trulicity has the advantage of being only one injection per week but disposal is arkward as there is no way of getting rid of the needle as it's an all in one device

Reactions: Brunneria

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Victoza doesn’t get much mention on the forum,

Victoza costs a lot more then Sulfonylureas but does not have the same risk of Hypos. I think Victoza and Trulicity target the same pathway, and unlike Sulfonylureas are claimed to only increase insulin producton when it is needed.

hill4332

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Are you also on matformin?
Had been on Metformin -both types - prior to going on Victosa but came of due to the side effects . They did try me again when on both Victosa and trulicity but same side effects. Just had odd case of the runs with Victosa and for some reason the day before my next injection with trulicity . Insulin is best ,more a question of getting the doseage right . Mines fine in the morning but by 10 at night my bs readings shoot up to 16 . Had odd hypo first thing so keep the jelly babies at hand and then adjust the doseage . I think having a hypo is good as knowing how it feels to have one seems less scary just need to get it consistent throughout the day .my next hb1ac is in January so it will be interesting to see how trulicity works or not

Rabra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hoping weight loss will come from the diet changes and getting more excercise as well. I took the Victoza partly because I read about potential help with losing weight (think it's in higher doses for weight loss) and due to the fact the conversation with the Dr mentioned gastric something or other to help with weight loss. I'm sure he said surgery, and that was the wake up call I needed.
I've really just ignored my type 2 since diagnosis around October 2013, always assuming I'd lose weight and it wouldn't be an issue any more. The only symptoms I really noticed was my eyesight could change slightly on a day to day basis.

Yes Ringi, Metformin 500mg, twice a day.

QPR4Me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Exercise machines and Gyms. Avoid like the plague.
Have been on Victoza since the start of June. I'm intolerant of Metformin. I have found it to be of great help. I have recently started taking Empagliflozin as well, 10 mg, going up to 25 mg next week. In the last year, I have shed 52 lbs in weight, have stopped taking both my blood pressure medications and have reduced my total Insulin intake of 91 units (of Novorapid and Lantus) down to 38 units. My wife has helped by switching our home diet to a much lower carb regime, limiting me to 1 slice of bread per week, rather than the mountains of toast that I used to eat and helping her lose 34 lbs. On my last visit to the hospital's Diabetic Clinic, they even talked about possibly one day ending my need for Insulin completely. Were that to happen, I'd be amazed, as have been injecting for 28 years!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@QPR4Me See https://www.virtahealth.com/testimonials for lots of people who have control their Type2 with diet, including people who have been on insulin for many years. Virtahealth is run by the people who wrote the leading science book on "low carb".

Empagliflozin (being a SGLT-2 inhibitor) should greatly help with both BG control and lowering weight as it removes glucose from your body, unlike other drugs that just moves the glucose about our bodies. "Low carbs" stops us putting as much glucose into our bodies, as all carbs become glucose soon after we eat them.

Remember that when on Empagliflozin you must drink a lot of water, think about how it removes the glucose....

Reactions: Ladylaurax

QPR4Me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
@QPR4Me See https://www.virtahealth.com/testimonials for lots of people who have control their Type2 with diet, including people who have been on insulin for many years. Virtahealth is run by the people who wrote the leading science book on "low carb".

Empagliflozin (being a SGLT-2 inhibitor) should greatly help with both BG control and lowering weight as it removes glucose from your body, unlike other drugs that just moves the glucose about our bodies. "Low carbs" stops us putting as much glucose into our bodies, as all carbs become glucose soon after we eat them.

Remember that when on Empagliflozin you must drink a lot of water, think about how it removes the glucose....
Thanks, will do. For the first time since my diagnosis 31 years ago, I feel that I am getting to grips with this pain in the ****/arm/leg/stomach condition! I don't believe that I will ever get off Insulin but the weight loss and improvement in my blood sugars and overall health in the last 12 months have given me a bit of my old confidence back and, as am approaching the age of 59, a bit of my love for life!!

Reactions: Brunneria

Rabra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's a great weight loss QPR4Me.
My blood pressure is not high enough for medication, but it's higher than they would like it to be. Looking to reduce that with weight loss as well.

After 7 days on Victosa, I'm down to 7.4 mmoL/l fasting, and 6.4, 2 hours after breakfast. Dose is now 1.2ml.

QPR4Me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
That's a great weight loss QPR4Me.
My blood pressure is not high enough for medication, but it's higher than they would like it to be. Looking to reduce that with weight loss as well.

After 7 days on Victosa, I'm down to 7.4 mmoL/l fasting, and 6.4, 2 hours after breakfast. Dose is now 1.2ml.
Good stuff. Keep it up.

Rabra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's 2 weeks in, no side effects now and dose has been 1.2ml for a week.
Fasting this morning was 7.2 mmoL/l, although it was 6.4 mmoL/l yesterday.
Weight loss to date, 19lbs.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Victoza higher dose made me very ill. I wasnt settling down so i stopped it. Consultant told me very common.

I moved area and started again with a new endocrinologist after allmeds stopped working, even metformin. I think a burn out but only stopped those meds once consultant told me too.
He advised mixed insulin injections and i have far better control. Now on seperate injections awaiting bariatric surgery. No other longterm solution to my weight gaining diabetes.
Im losing on seperate insulin injections and did lose 7lb on victoza in the past. Before insulin i tried canagliflozin but had horrendeous thrush, just after getting over 2yrs of thrush from uncontrolled diabetes. When consultant ask me to try it i said no way. But he talked me round but it was horrendeous, to me. Victoza was far far less stressful than canagliflozin, for me.
Only insulin didnt make me feel ill in one way or another. Gliclizide was ok but may be cause of now on insulin thou. I'm back on metformin now, off and on.
Victoza works for many thou.
I think @ally1 is still on it but not sure if she's on-line tonight.

Reactions: ally1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I am still on victoza 1.2ml.
I did lose a few pounds in the first few weeks.
Was told it's a wonder drug,
I do take other meds which can/do make me hungry so it's a battle to lose weight

Rabra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not bad in that I've no other health issues that could complicate things, I just need to pull my finger out and stick with what I'm doing.
I don't find I'm hungry a lot, but that could be anything. The Victosa, what I'm eating, getting more sleep or even the apple cider vinegar I've started taking as well.

Rabra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
3 weeks in, fasting 8.5 mmoL/l this morning. (6.4 2 hours after breakfast, 2 egg cheese omelette)
Not really much you can say after any side effects are gone.
I'm down 22lbs now. In 3 weeks, I've had no bread whatsoever. I've had lasagna twice, which has been my only pasta, no rice and not much potatoes either. I've also not had a sweet (Boost/Crunchie/Star Bar type) in that time, although I do have an occasional biscuit. Crisps are on the back burner, but the ones I do eat are around 60 cals a bag and 8g Carbs. Probably 1 pack every second day.
I have had a drink in the past week, but spirits with diet soft drink mixers. I was never one for full sugar juice anyway to be fair.

Last edited:

Malamutes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Politics
I have been on the medication since 15/2/18, and initially a 0.6 dosage. I did experience localised discolouration style bruising, and after 2 weeks ramped up to 1,2. I always use around 11.00.pm, and the significant change experiences have been; reduced body fat, not significant weight change because of muscle tissue weight, but major positive changes in shape. My jeans size has dropped 2 full sizes, my children have noticed a positive change in facial/abdominal fat levels. I have experienced a reduced frequency in eating habits, and also meal portions have become smaller . . without hunger. I have never experienced bowel problem, except for when protein intake were high. I do stress though, that water intake should be of a good level . . . I aim for 3pints to 3litres daily. My exercise pattern is dictated by 2 Malamutes. All my meals are from scratch fresh raw ingredients. I am also on Metformin, but personally, the major positive change has been, other than an always excellent diet, Victoza ! I have been Type 2, expected, for 9 years, with until this year an escalation in weight

stephenharold

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Had been on Metformin -both types - prior to going on Victosa but came of due to the side effects . They did try me again when on both Victosa and trulicity but same side effects. Just had odd case of the runs with Victosa and for some reason the day before my next injection with trulicity . Insulin is best ,more a question of getting the doseage right . Mines fine in the morning but by 10 at night my bs readings shoot up to 16 . Had odd hypo first thing so keep the jelly babies at hand and then adjust the doseage . I think having a hypo is good as knowing how it feels to have one seems less scary just need to get it consistent throughout the day .my next hb1ac is in January so it will be interesting to see how trulicity works or not