Pregnancy prep

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys.

I am ready to start a family and wondered what way that works with my clinic. Do I let them know beforehand? Or do I wait until Im pregnant (if it happens!) Just not sure exactly what way to approach this as I am super nervous about managing myself whilst pregnant.

Reactions: mytype1.life

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys.

I am ready to start a family and wondered what way that works with my clinic. Do I let them know beforehand? Or do I wait until Im pregnant (if it happens!) Just not sure exactly what way to approach this as I am super nervous about managing myself whilst pregnant.

Hi @Lynz84 ,

First off. You will be a fantastic mum!

When is your next appointment? No time like the present to inform HCPs of your intentions.
They can help with advice!

Wishing you well..

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys.

Most clinics will do a pre pregnancy check - so ladies with type 1 trying to conceive are advised to have a hba1c under 48 (6.5%) and be on the heavy dose folic acid (5mg).

The targets during pregnancy are under 5.3 fasting, under 7.8 1hr after eating and under 6.4 2hr after eating.

It's worth having a discussion with your DSN now if you are thinking about trying to conceive so you know what's available to you to meet those targets during pregnancy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaylee

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Lynz84,

I’m in the same boat. Was totally overwhelmed by the targets if I’m honest as when I first read about them I thought they were unachievable for me so don’t worry if you feel the same.

What’s your current HbA1c?

I’d definitely recommend seeking to your team first so they can give you the best support.

I have my next appointment with my consultant later this month so will hopefully have made some progress, fingers crossed!

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Lynz84,

I’m in the same boat. Was totally overwhelmed by the targets if I’m honest as when I first read about them I thought they were unachievable for me so don’t worry if you feel the same.

What’s your current HbA1c?

I’d definitely recommend seeking to your team first so they can give you the best support.

I have my next appointment with my consultant later this month so will hopefully have made some progress, fingers crossed!
Hey there! Yes im a bit overwhelmed too i must admit. Seems completely unachievable! Hba1c was 8.9 as my basal needed adjusting but things have settled again now. I'll get the ball rolling at my next check up. Hope you get great support from your team

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Most clinics will do a pre pregnancy check - so ladies with type 1 trying to conceive are advised to have a hba1c under 48 (6.5%) and be on the heavy dose folic acid (5mg).

The targets during pregnancy are under 5.3 fasting, under 7.8 1hr after eating and under 6.4 2hr after eating.

It's worth having a discussion with your DSN now if you are thinking about trying to conceive so you know what's available to you to meet those targets during pregnancy.
Thanks catapillar! All seems like so much work!!!

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Lynz84 i have just found out I’m pregnant this week :) I emailed my DSN when I was thinking of trying again and got an appt for pre-pregnancy clinic. I can’t recommend this enough, it gave me lots of reassurance and was someone to talk to when I needed, I could just email her whenever I needed. I was seen every few weeks to get hba1c done and to check in on how things were going and whether there were any basal issues etc alongside the usual blood pressure etc checks. Once you become pregnant you then ask your GP to refer you to the diabetes antenatal clinic (or that’s how it works where I am). You’d then be seen approx every 2 weeks to check both you and baby are doing ok and your sugars are in range. I won’t lie, it’s very hard work but so worth it when you have your baby :) Just test, test and test. You’ll be surprised how quickly you’ll start to see trends. Also ask about libre prescription or even a loan of a cgm. No guarantee but worth asking! Good luck trying to both you ladies x

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey there! Yes im a bit overwhelmed too i must admit. Seems completely unachievable! Hba1c was 8.9 as my basal needed adjusting but things have settled again now. I'll get the ball rolling at my next check up. Hope you get great support from your team

That’s good things have settled. My last HbA1c was 69 (not sure how that coverts) but will see if any progress.

I couldn’t recommend the Libre enough if you are struggling to see how/where to improve. For me it was all the times in between my meter tests that must have been contributing to a high HbA1c. I’ve learnt so much in the past 4 months, particularly which foods I pretty much used to eat everyday that caused massive spikes.

Best of luck

quintel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys.

You'll be very well looked after I can assure you so don't worry! I'm pregnant at the moment and it is tough, lots of testing but it's going to be very worth it! I got pregnant by accident and my HbA1C was 7.1% but now 4 months in is down to about 5.8% through lots of testing and plenty of advice from the consultants and midwife!

Good luck with everything, you'll be absolutely fine!

Reactions: mytype1.life