High Hba1c

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being diabetic, struggling with food choices
Just been and had my hba1c results and the reading doesn't make for good reading it's 80. Really need to start getting this under control the last 12 months it has gone from 53 to the current reading of 80. Am really struggling to lower this I know the bad things I eat but am struggling with the addition to control my mind not to chose these, how have others overcome this problem. My biggest weaknesses are biscuits and sweets (chocolate and haribo type).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has the GP increased your medication at all or is it still Metformin?

I can see from your previous posts that you struggle. Do you have any support at home?

I agree you do need to start getting this under control or you may suffer the consequences. Are these chocolates, biscuits and sweets readily available in your house? Perhaps it is time, if so, to clear out your cupboards, throw them all in the bin, and resolve not to buy any in future. Removing the visible temptation may help.

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being diabetic, struggling with food choices
Hi Bluetit1802 yes metformin has been increased, doctor is on about putting me on injection medication as I am on 2000mg metformin and 250mg stiglapin support at home is great, biggest issue is when I'm at work and bored or go out to grab my lunch at morrison or tesco

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @cratat
Why not take lunch with you? I take a flask of low cal soup, some cheese, nuts and a salad to work. Try to avoid supermarkets when you're hungry!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Think of how much better you'd feel if you dumped the rubbish. That is an alarming increase yet you know it can be controlled thru good food choices. I simply stopped cold turkey and the thought of sweets and chocolates and the damage they do parked alongside a decent life made the decision easy.

Willpower. Personal achievements. Goals. Pride in what you've done

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bluetit1802 yes metformin has been increased, doctor is on about putting me on injection medication as I am on 2000mg metformin and 250mg stiglapin support at home is great, biggest issue is when I'm at work and bored or go out to grab my lunch at morrison or tesco

If work is your biggest issue, take a packed lunch with you. Eat it first then go for a walk well away from any food shops. Never go to food shops whilst hungry. There are many things you can take, from chicken thighs, to eggs, to tomatoes, to any cold meats such as ham, to cheese, to plain yogurts. Just avoid biscuits and similar, and of course avoid bread, so no sandwiches. It may also be an idea to eat a big breakfast - bacon, eggs, low carb high meat sausage, tomato, mushrooms. Fill yourself up! Take some nuts to work with you (not many).

If support is good at home, then you are part way there.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to watch the BBC documentary “Diabetes the Hidden Killer”

You have been saying that you need to get control of your diabetes since joining in 2015, but are back at square one. You have probably had all the advice you need, you just have to follow it.

If you don’t get a grip on your diabetes then you may end up with severe complications such as blindness or having your foot amputated like the chap at the start of the documentary. If you are seriously overweight then having insulin will make you even more obese if you eat a lot of carbs. You need to cut back on the carbs. Stop eating all sweets and biscuits.

Last edited:

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
all good advice above. big breakfasts, take food with you, avoid supermarkets when you're hungry - though boredom may be a bigger problem. before you eat biscuits, sweets, etc., drink a large glass of water, and wait 10 minutes to see if you can go a little longer without anything. really drastic strategy - carry a picture of a necrotic foot around in your wallet (there are lots of disgusting pics on google images), so that you force yourself to see what you're risking by not controlling your sugar levels every time you are paying for a sandwich or some high carb/high sugar snack. good luck!!!