Is it possible to be type 1 insulin free?

B1LLY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Am like really confused coz some people say that insulin is Need as a type 1. I am a type one and only take novo rapid when I eat witch is once a day but when I first got diagnosed with diabetes I was eating 4 time a day injecting 4 times a It was really getting to me but my bg reading are allways between 4 n 7 could my pancreas be in the honeymoon period

Vamppir8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm very interested in your situation. Maybe rivaroxaban is changing your fat cells. Less fat cells for me gives me greater insulin sensitivity. Is it not your weight loss which has made you more sensitive?
Is rivaroxaban known to have weight loss as a side effect?

My pancreas does not produce enzymes either so supposed to be taking crown as well but knocked it on the head as felt unwell on it and not digesting fat would be a good thing in my book.

Vamppir8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Proof yesterday, normally have breakfast 1 unit long, 2 short, sit around waiting to go to work don' inject dinner or tea then 1 long at night. Sunday go walking so 1 long breakfast and no short, 4 miles in and 3.7 so 4 apricots and by lunch time 5.4. Had 20grams lunch and cake from shop Apple sponge thing didn' inject got back to car 6 miles later 5.7. So the only insulin I had before hypo was long 1 unit and I cannot reduce that if indeed you need some in your system to stop you konking out. I could exercise in morning and still cut carbs but would hypo.

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Proof yesterday, normally have breakfast 1 unit long, 2 short, sit around waiting to go to work don' inject dinner or tea then 1 long at night. Sunday go walking so 1 long breakfast and no short, 4 miles in and 3.7 so 4 apricots and by lunch time 5.4. Had 20grams lunch and cake from shop Apple sponge thing didn' inject got back to car 6 miles later 5.7. So the only insulin I had before hypo was long 1 unit and I cannot reduce that if indeed you need some in your system to stop you konking out. I could exercise in morning and still cut carbs but would hypo.

Amazing or what! I take it from the lack of enzymes that it’s more than your pancreas’ beta cells that are being attacked. How long have you been diagnosed T1?

Reactions: Vamppir8

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I wonder what your team, truely think of it.
I know your situation isn't common but many type1s don't low carb thou. Of course some do who have been told they are insulin resistant thou.
Its clear you are definitely not.
Remind me again why your doing low carb dieting again?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The OP obviously has either been misdiagnosed, or is a troll. It's true that the bulk of the pancreas's function is to secrete digestive enzymes into the duodenum that function can be more easily supplanted with oral substitutes. It's the beta cell's insulin secretion (into the blood stream) that constitutes the failure that is Type 1 diabetes. This has been true for many generations and is no different today. It requires exogenous insulin for survival. The OP claims he doesn't require that. So he isn't a Type 1 diabetic.

Vamppir8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Amazing or what! I take it from the lack of enzymes that it’s more than your pancreas’ beta cells that are being attacked. How long have you been diagnosed T1?

4 years

Vamppir8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder what your team, truely think of it.
I know your situation isn't common but many type1s don't low carb thou. Of course some do who have been told they are insulin resistant thou.
Its clear you are definitely not.
Remind me again why your doing low carb dieting again?

If I ate what I wanted bloods are all over the place too many variables. If I eat selectively whole foods only, weighed amounts stay between 5 and 7. My daughter is type one she is on pump and 2 units to 10 carbs, Pisa night 28 units!!! No thanks. Managed yesterday on 1 short none breakfast, none lunch, none tea and one unit short to correct 7.5 with 50g of nuts and 1 long. Woke up on 5.5. Need to tinker with my salad at tea time so I don' have to correct.

What does my team think of this? Well I imagine you are in London or private, team? See diabetes nurse (different one each time) once a year. They poke my feet in and out in 5 minutes don' think that constitutes care. Drs don' have a clue, 4 week appintment wait anyway be dead by the time you see one of them.

It' something I chose to peruse less injecting, less messing around, don' need to add up food or guess and correct, feel better than I have in years.

Reactions: x Carol x

Vamppir8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The OP obviously has either been misdiagnosed, or is a troll. It's true that the bulk of the pancreas's function is to secrete digestive enzymes into the duodenum that function can be more easily supplanted with oral substitutes. It's the beta cell's insulin secretion (into the blood stream) that constitutes the failure that is Type 1 diabetes. This has been true for many generations and is no different today. It requires exogenous insulin for survival. The OP claims he doesn't require that. So he isn't a Type 1 diabetic.

Did not say I don' inject 1 levemir day and night. Breakfast 3 bacon 50g mushroom 50g tomato and 2 eggs and 15 minutes on treadmill 5.5. Lunch carrot, broccoli, 150g butternut squash and meat 1/4 pear apple and orrange comes at 30g carbs depending how messed about the chicken is. Then to work shelf stacking, very hard work lifting moving pallets, lunch around 5. I have a salad everything weighed and a yogurt with fruit and seeds all weighed comes out at 20 g carbs, not so much to do in evening so 7.5 in the evening. Then 50 g of mixed nuts .5 units novorappid. That' it day in day out.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If I ate what I wanted bloods are all over the place too many variables. If I eat selectively whole foods only, weighed amounts stay between 5 and 7. My daughter is type one she is on pump and 2 units to 10 carbs, Pisa night 28 units!!! No thanks. Managed yesterday on 1 short none breakfast, none lunch, none tea and one unit short to correct 7.5 with 50g of nuts and 1 long. Woke up on 5.5. Need to tinker with my salad at tea time so I don' have to correct.

What does my team think of this? Well I imagine you are in London or private, team? See diabetes nurse (different one each time) once a year. They poke my feet in and out in 5 minutes don' think that constitutes care. Drs don' have a clue, 4 week appintment wait anyway be dead by the time you see one of them.

It' something I chose to peruse less injecting, less messing around, don' need to add up food or guess and correct, feel better than I have in years.
No, not in London. In the northeast of England. I'm sorry you are not supported properly but sounds like you know what you're doing. Maybe they feel you are very well equipped to give yourself good diabetes management? I'm not sure but you're definitely pro-active in getting good results. So well done. Better results than a lot of people I'd have thought?
I can understand why you feel unsupported thou.
Do you not feel satisfied with the results to date?

Vamppir8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I feel satisfied as today switching round puddings only jabbed 1 long in morning and one tonight and finished with bloods at 6. Other than control don' know what more I can do if you have to have insulin in your system to burn off the sugar. Don' get me wrong I wish I was miss diagnosed but if I ate 150gms carb meal I would have to jab 15 units like anyone else, or 30 like daughter. I just don' want to eat more carbs because I HAVE to inject if you get me. It' taken 4 months of experimenting to get here and if this is as good as it can get I'd be happy with that.

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I read an interesting article in IDDT magazine that some diabetics type. 1 are still producing insulin 10 years after diagnosis. the It is in the September 2017 newsletter under research. Another article suggests cells are destroyed faster in diabetic children.
https://www.iddt.org/news/newsletters

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This is a self treated condition, I don't think docs truly understand yet this idea of how cgm/libre allows adjustment on the fly before we go out of range.
Perhaps surprisingly, most Diabetes consultants do understand this. Perhaps unsurprisingly, 90% of people with Type 1 don't. That's where much of the problem lies.

Reactions: Diakat
D

Deleted Account

I am not in London and do not have a private team.
I see a diabetes nurse and consultant about every 13 months. In the 14 years since I was diagnosed, my feel have been poked twice.
The GPs at my local surgery do not have much idea about type 1.

However, through readings forums like this, asking questions on my (not quite annual) check up, working out how my body works and being pig headed, I feel I have maintained a good control of my diabetes whilst eating what I want, exercising when I want and living the life I want.

It has not been easy but the only person who truly understands how my body works 24 hours a day, 365 days a year is me so I cannot expect doctors to dictate what I should do.

If eating less carbs suits you, that is great: you understand what works for you.

Reactions: Gina G

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Perhaps surprisingly, most Diabetes consultants do understand this. Perhaps unsurprisingly, 90% of people with Type 1 don't. That's where much of the problem lies.

My comment was about docs in general, not specifically consultants.

I had to explain to my GP what an AGP graph was: she'd never seen one before.

And as for consultants, sure, some of them are up to speed but some aren't. After doing a DAFNE course last year, I basically got a row from a consultant for not doing a 1u to 10 carbs ratio.

I explained that my understanding was that DAFNE suggests 1:10 (or 1:1 in their ridiculous Portion language - the presenting T1 DSN later admitted to me that the only time she and colleagues use CP is when they present DAFNE) as a starting point but is then adjusted according to experience, and mines showed way better results at 1.5 to 10.

Did any of this wash? No, consultant was insistent that it must be 1:10 because "that's what DAFNE says". Idiot. Her speciality is research on tweaking stem cells and transplantation. Doesn't mean she knows anything about practical issues such as ratios.

And as for inter-meal adjustments instead of DAFNE "save corrections till meal"....I didn't even go there.

I think some consultants are still trapped in the overly safety conscious mindset of management through strips alone and view the tweaking which cgm allows as dangerous.

I agree that education makes a big difference, but sight shouldn't be lost of the fact that it doesn't need a week long course to inform people that you can look at the back of packets, get Carbs & Cals, and use as a very general starting point 1u lowers by 2 to 3, 10g raises by 2 to 3 and adjust from there according to experience.

Even without formal education, there are plenty of posts in this site from people who have decided to get libre out of curiosity and the wealth of information it gives has caused them to become engaged and actively seek out information without hanging around on a lengthy waiting list for the next DAFNE course.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My comment was about docs in general, not specifically consultants.

I had to explain to my GP what an AGP graph was: she'd never seen one before.

And as for consultants, sure, some of them are up to speed but some aren't. After doing a DAFNE course last year, I basically got a row from a consultant for not doing a 1u to 10 carbs ratio.

I explained that my understanding was that DAFNE suggests 1:10 (or 1:1 in their ridiculous Portion language - the presenting T1 DSN later admitted to me that the only time she and colleagues use CP is when they present DAFNE) as a starting point but is then adjusted according to experience, and mines showed way better results at 1.5 to 10.

Did any of this wash? No, consultant was insistent that it must be 1:10 because "that's what DAFNE says". Idiot. Her speciality is research on tweaking stem cells and transplantation. Doesn't mean she knows anything about practical issues such as ratios.

And as for inter-meal adjustments instead of DAFNE "save corrections till meal"....I didn't even go there.

I think some consultants are still trapped in the overly safety conscious mindset of management through strips alone and view the tweaking which cgm allows as dangerous.

I agree that education makes a big difference, but sight shouldn't be lost of the fact that it doesn't need a week long course to inform people that you can look at the back of packets, get Carbs & Cals, and use as a very general starting point 1u lowers by 2 to 3, 10g raises by 2 to 3 and adjust from there according to experience.

Even without formal education, there are plenty of posts in this site from people who have decided to get libre out of curiosity and the wealth of information it gives has caused them to become engaged and actively seek out information without hanging around on a lengthy waiting list for the next DAFNE course.

My DAFNE course encouraged us to use different ratios for different meals, for different people, depending on each individuals results. It inspired all of us to take more control of our own diabetes. My consultant has always said, you are the person who knows how best to manage your diabetes. As always, the inconsistency from health authority to health authority is atrocious. It’s a lottery!

Reactions: Sibyl

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My DAFNE course encouraged us to use different ratios for different meals, for different people, depending on each individuals results. It inspired all of us to take more control of our own diabetes. My consultant has always said, you are the person who knows how best to manage your diabetes. As always, the inconsistency from health authority to health authority is atrocious. It’s a lottery!

Yes, I suppose it depends on the presenters. I remember a post from a while back which said their DAFNE course told them all to take the same amount of basal to see how that worked out. Yikes!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yes, I suppose it depends on the presenters. I remember a post from a while back which said their DAFNE course told them all to take the same amount of basal to see how that worked out. Yikes!
WHat's of more concern there is that DAFNE is supposed to be a very clearly set curriculum with very clearly defined outcomes and learning points. That's how the evidence base backs it up.

If people are going off-piste in this and other fashions it rather mucks up the benefits.

Reactions: Sibyl