hba1c

newbie1998

my hba1c came back as 72. is this good, bad? doc said it was at the high end. My bloods were 8 point something last time but 11.2 today. Don't really know how to take this all in. I need more tests apparently, any type ones out there know how likely it is that i have it?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, those results are high and definitely put you in the diabetes range.
HbA1c:
under 42 is non-diabetic
42 to 47 is "at risk" pre-diabetic
48 and over is diabetic.

I take it the "bloods" were a spot check? Was it a fasting test by finger prick or something else? Had you recently eaten?

As you are very young, I suspect the further tests will be to see if you are a Type 1 or a Type 2.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
your bloods are diabetic for the hba1c but your routine finger pricks are not massively high. you have diabetes but its not the worst my bg was in the 20s and my hba1c was a 104. at a guess yours looks more like type 2 but thats a serious guess. what has the doctor said about treatment. an how was it picked up. those levels would not normally cause symptoms. just noticed your young and fit this swings it more to type 1 or one of the rare versions. have you been ill.you say your very fit please excuse this but youve not used steroids ie body building.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amita84

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it is very high :( the green numbers are the non-diabetic area, I´ll tag @daisy1 so you´ll get the valuable information all new persons get in here

50shades - Copy.png

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
odd his hba1c is worse than his finger pricking.
Depends when he is doing it...could be before eating...but just as likely is recent couple of readings not accurately reflecting his average whereas the HbA1c will give the average over the preceding three months.

Reactions: Freema

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Hello

It's the start of your journey as a type 2. Yes that HBA1C result says you are diabetic. It's not the highest figure I have ever seen so that is a bit of good news, I have only been on this journey for 2 years myself but this is what I have learned.

Take a sensible pace, things don't change overnight, they take time and allowing them to do so will make for a long term health plan and it does work, it is also lovely.
Cut out processed foods, white flour, white rice etc. the things that are high in carbohydrates, these are not helpful to us now. You can have carbs but as part of veg etc.
Cut the booze out for a good while, it's not needed
Learn to love bubbly water
Salad, ooooh we all love salad now
keep a food diary that shows what your food is made of. When you test your levels you will be able to see what meals are good for you and which are not .

Testing.
Test before a meal, test 90 minutes after, write it down. see what patterns occur

Morning readings are not the most important reading. I can have the same meal for several days on the trot and have different readings, the reasons for the variance is hydration, how deep the sleep was, the deeper the sleep the more energy your liver releases to get you going, it's not a good or bad thing, it just happens every day.

Reactions: pleinster

newbie1998

Well, those results are high and definitely put you in the diabetes range.
HbA1c:
under 42 is non-diabetic
42 to 47 is "at risk" pre-diabetic
48 and over is diabetic.

I take it the "bloods" were a spot check? Was it a fasting test by finger prick or something else? Had you recently eaten?

As you are very young, I suspect the further tests will be to see if you are a Type 1 or a Type 2.

First one was a finger prick test, second one was a fasting test. I'm young, physically fit and eat quite well, I don't think i have type 2 but idk

newbie1998

your bloods are diabetic for the hba1c but your routine finger pricks are not massively high. you have diabetes but its not the worst my bg was in the 20s and my hba1c was a 104. at a guess yours looks more like type 2 but thats a serious guess. what has the doctor said about treatment. an how was it picked up. those levels would not normally cause symptoms. just noticed your young and fit this swings it more to type 1 or one of the rare versions. have you been ill.you say your very fit please excuse this but youve not used steroids ie body building.
I went due to feeling generally tired and losing weight despite eating more. No im not into fitness perse, i just work in a stockroom so am on my feet etc

Reactions: paulus1

newbie1998

Hello

It's the start of your journey as a type 2. Yes that HBA1C result says you are diabetic. It's not the highest figure I have ever seen so that is a bit of good news, I have only been on this journey for 2 years myself but this is what I have learned.

Take a sensible pace, things don't change overnight, they take time and allowing them to do so will make for a long term health plan and it does work, it is also lovely.
Cut out processed foods, white flour, white rice etc. the things that are high in carbohydrates, these are not helpful to us now. You can have carbs but as part of veg etc.
Cut the booze out for a good while, it's not needed
Learn to love bubbly water
Salad, ooooh we all love salad now
keep a food diary that shows what your food is made of. When you test your levels you will be able to see what meals are good for you and which are not .

Testing.
Test before a meal, test 90 minutes after, write it down. see what patterns occur

Morning readings are not the most important reading. I can have the same meal for several days on the trot and have different readings, the reasons for the variance is hydration, how deep the sleep was, the deeper the sleep the more energy your liver releases to get you going, it's not a good or bad thing, it just happens every day.

idk if this is an automated thing but i dot even know if i have type 2? I don't drink, am physically fit and generally eat well

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
First one was a finger prick test, second one was a fasting test. I'm young, physically fit and eat quite well, I don't think i have type 2 but idk

You can't compare the 2 blood glucose readings. One was random and one was fasting. One was a finger prick (which measures capillary blood) the other was a fasting plasma test which measures glucose in the plasma blood.. They are different. Both are just snapshots of what you were at the time of the test, and when and what you last ate, time of day, and other factors will all have an effect.

I think you need to make sure you get the further tests as quickly as they can, and wait for the results. Hopefully they will lead to a correct diagnosis. :)

Reactions: woodywhippet61

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
idk if this is an automated thing but i dot even know if i have type 2? I don't drink, am physically fit and generally eat well

Type 2 can affect fit people that think they eat healthily. It isn't restricted to the unfit couch potatoes that eat junk food. It can simply be a question of genetics.

newbie1998

Type 2 can affect fit people that think they eat healthily. It isn't restricted to the unfit couch potatoes that eat junk food. It can simply be a question of genetics.
My doc said he thought type 2 was unlikely because, and i quote, "it's caused by poor lifestyle choices".

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things

I was most of those things, apart from young. the other advice I still stand by

Also the doc does sound like a bit of a **** in my opinion

Reactions: woodywhippet61

AndyRob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Your symptoms and situation sound similar to mine 18 months ago, except I was 49. Initial classified as a type 2 it soon became apparent after tests I was type 1. I felt the type 2 diagnosis was wrong from the start. If I was a betting man, I know where I'd put my money if we're you.

In terms of going forward try not to worry too much, what will be will be. It took me probably nine months to start getting to grips with the condition. I've largely retained my original okay diet with plenty of carbs, still drink a bit and try to do some excerise. Unfortunately my life's too complicated with a young family, long commute, career wife etc. etc., for things to be perfect but I'm doing okay, but could do better than my HbA1c being in the mid 40's. At your stage it maybe easier to mold your life around what need to do.

I'm sure things will work out for you whichever type you have, you just need to sensible.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My doc said he thought type 2 was unlikely because, and i quote, "it's caused by poor lifestyle choices".

Your dr is ignorant. There are loads of T2's on here who were not overweight, ate healthily and were fit when diagnosed.