Vision

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @thomasrichmond_16
what sort of problems with vision ??

how long diagnosed ?

what are blood sugar levels like ??

sorry for the questions-- but a recent diagnosis and a quick reduction in sugar levels can bring about short term vision problems

if this does not apply to you -- then I would talk to your DSN ( diabetic nurse ) and tell her you are having problems with your vision
don't let this go please -- vision is important. !!!

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
What are your BM's like? Have you had your eye screening?
What happens with your vision?
Take care

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
with a diagnosis in the last couple of months long distance vision issues are common.

all I can say is try your hardest to maintain good BG's ( between 4-9 )
and just be kind to yourself

you got me crying for you here -- it's been 45 years since i had those issues -- but i can feel it like it was yesterday.

keep posting -- you got loads of friends here

tagging @Dark Horse for some additional support

thomasrichmond_16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanks a lot for your help. i’ve been ill for a couple of weeks so that’s why the levels are slightly high like up to 12, bit worried about getting a hb1ac as i’ve not had one before and my levels have gone up to 12.

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
thanks a lot for your help. i’ve been ill for a couple of weeks so that’s why the levels are slightly high like up to 12, bit worried about getting a hb1ac as i’ve not had one before and my levels have gone up to 12.
Aaahhhh !! -- if you have been ill -- that makes levels harder to maintain
all I can say is to try and be kind to yourself -- this stupid D lasts for life -- so small blips are to be expected.

good lucjk on your upcoming HbA1c !!!!!!!

himtoo
x

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in August and my vision was all over the place for about 8 weeks. I had boxes of contact lenses in a variety of prescriptions is was so bad. Settled down enough now though that I think I can go to the optician and find out what my prescription should be.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks everyone. I did a ketone test and it was 0.1 mmol/l and I don't actually know what that means
that is about the lowest number possible -- so is a good result !!

• Under 0.6 mmol/L - a normal blood ketone value
  • 0.6 to 1.5 mmol/L - indicates that more ketones are being produced than normal, test again later to see if the value has lowered
  • 1.6 to 3.0 mmol/L - a high level of ketones and could present a risk of ketoacidosis. It is advisable to contact your healthcare team for advice.
  • Above 3.0 mmol/L - a dangerous level of ketones which will require immediate medical care.

Reactions: thomasrichmond_16

thomasrichmond_16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
that is about the lowest number possible -- so is a good result !!

• Under 0.6 mmol/L - a normal blood ketone value
  • 0.6 to 1.5 mmol/L - indicates that more ketones are being produced than normal, test again later to see if the value has lowered
  • 1.6 to 3.0 mmol/L - a high level of ketones and could present a risk of ketoacidosis. It is advisable to contact your healthcare team for advice.
  • Above 3.0 mmol/L - a dangerous level of ketones which will require immediate medical care.

himtoo is 8.4 mmol/l okay for 2 hours after a meal?

Dark Horse

AS @himtoo says, temporary vision problems are not unusual when first diagnosed with diabetes as the glucose levels in the lens of the eye gradually stabilise. Retinopathy is almost unheard of in someone with Type 1 diabetes within the first 5 years of diagnosis so your retinopathy test was as expected. Although changes in glucose levels is the most likely cause of your current vision problems, it's still worth getting checked by an optician (free for people with diabetes in the UK) to rule out other causes, which will help put your mind at rest.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

thomasrichmond_16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
AS @himtoo says, temporary vision problems are not unusual when first diagnosed with diabetes as the glucose levels in the lens of the eye gradually stabilise. Retinopathy is almost unheard of in someone with Type 1 diabetes within the first 5 years of diagnosis so your retinopathy test was as expected. Although changes in glucose levels is the most likely cause of your current vision problems, it's still worth getting checked by an optician (free for people with diabetes in the UK) to rule out other causes, which will help put your mind at rest.
I've got glasses I went to vision express everything else was fine thanks

thomasrichmond_16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i am happy with that sort of number 2 hours post meal.........
That's good then thanks a lot. But spiked up to 15.4 tonight I tested 3 hours after meal... took correction code and 2 hours later was down to 9.5 so I'm kind of happy about that

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yeah i had a huge change in my glasses two weeks into starting insulin, but I've been told by doctors if i think my vision has dramatically changed to wait until levels are consistently good, cause high levels can make your vision a little blurred.