Type 1 Artificial Sweetners

MisterMints

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a sweet tooth. There's no two ways about it and I like a sweet cup of tea. However, I find that using artificial sweeteners raise my blood sugar by quite a bit. For example, after a single cup of tea my blood can go from a reading of 5-7 to 18+

I've been T1 for 20+ years so you'd have thought I'd have the hang of it by now, but I can't work out how much insulin to take with a 2 sweetener tablet cup of tea, or even if I should since it's supposed to be sugar free!

Does this happen to you? How do you manage it?

Anyone know why it happens?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have a sweet tooth. There's no two ways about it and I like a sweet cup of tea. However, I find that using artificial sweeteners raise my blood sugar by quite a bit. For example, after a single cup of tea my blood can go from a reading of 5-7 to 18+

I've been T1 for 20+ years so you'd have thought I'd have the hang of it by now, but I can't work out how much insulin to take with a 2 sweetener tablet cup of tea, or even if I should since it's supposed to be sugar free!

Does this happen to you? How do you manage it?

Anyone know why it happens?

Which sweetener are you using and what's in it? Is it made of dextrose?

MisterMints

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At the moment it's sucralose, but I've used aspartame and Stevia with the same results

cockercas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive stopped having sweetner and went back to sugar in my tea, just increased the insulin.
If you have to inject for it you might aswell have the real deal.

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I agree with cockercas I had the same issue so I started to take 0.5 u per level teaspoon of sugar because I am on a 1:1 ratio and a teaspoon of sugar is 1/2 a carb portion (DAFNE guide) and I never looked back

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with cockercas I had the same issue so I started to take 0.5 u per level teaspoon of sugar because I am on a 1:1 ratio and a teaspoon of sugar is 1/2 a carb portion (DAFNE guide) and I never looked back
Or...take less insulin and don’t eat sugar

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Insulin is there for a reason y deny my self something I enjoy over something I carnt stand life is for living not denying myself the simple pleasure of a cup of coffee for the sake of a 10 seconds of discomfort

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin is there for a reason y deny my self something I enjoy over something I carnt stand life is for living not denying myself the simple pleasure of a cup of coffee for the sake of a 10 seconds of discomfort
Absolutely. To each his own...

cockercas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

And denying yourself it means you will hate it.
Im alot happier since i just ate what i liked and injected then really wishing i could eat something and not inject.
Thats where the diabetes gets you down.

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For the most part yes but after nine years I just whack another needle in with active insulin settings on my libre/accu-chek expert it tells you if you need to inject anymore to compensate for the spike so for me if the spur of the moment snack comes I just inject away
Hating diabetes leads down very dangerous paths after 9 years of fighting it I finally realised who's in control me or the illness

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My View is if for years your body has reacted to sugar (sweet) it may take a while to adjust to a sweetener. I myself use Stevia and avoid chemical sweeteners but if you buy your stevia from a supermarket please read the label in the past I have found products labelled STEVIA containing Various chemical additives and even one that was 50% sugar some people tend to find stevia leaves a bitter taste try slowly reducing the amount you use you will be surprised how little you need to achieve a sweet cuppa. stevia that comes in tablet form I find is usually mixed with something else. buy the powdered form and check the % is at least 95%
Increasing you medication is not wise. yes like if I Go to a party at someone's house I increase my Lantus and whilst still avoiding most sweet things I can eat enough no to offend my host without to much of a spike

cockercas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My View is if for years your body has reacted to sugar (sweet) it may take a while to adjust to a sweetener. I myself use Stevia and avoid chemical sweeteners but if you buy your stevia from a supermarket please read the label in the past I have found products labelled STEVIA containing Various chemical additives and even one that was 50% sugar some people tend to find stevia leaves a bitter taste try slowly reducing the amount you use you will be surprised how little you need to achieve a sweet cuppa. stevia that comes in tablet form I find is usually mixed with something else. buy the powdered form and check the % is at least 95%
Increasing you medication is not wise. yes like if I Go to a party at someone's house I increase my Lantus and whilst still avoiding most sweet things I can eat enough no to offend my host without to much of a spike
Why is it not wise to increase insulin?
Its what your body produces naturally.
If you're injecting 3units you might aswell inject 5 and have something you enjoy.

Its something you have to do for the rest of your life so theres little point in been shy about it.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Why is it not wise to increase insulin?
Its what your body produces naturally.
If you're injecting 3units you might aswell inject 5 and have something you enjoy.

Its something you have to do for the rest of your life so theres little point in been shy about it.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What I was trying to Say is my no.1 objective is to lower and stabilize my Blood Sugar by watching what I eat. Hopefully leading to a reduction of medicine (which Lantus is.?) If one says I Will Eat or drink something packed with sugar (Because I can increase my insulin medication intake ) I think this is incorrect as I said in my original Post I do this on rare occasions for social reasons not as a way of allowing myself to eat things I know are bad for me This is my view