How do I say no to statins

srg100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know you're not doctors but I'm hoping someone can help me :)

I was on statins from about Oct 15 until November 16 as my cholesterol was high. I stopped because the numbers were better and I didn't want to be on them having found out what they can do - and can't! I understand they can increase the risk of diabetes - is that right? Apart from anything else.

Got my latest blood test results today. And a phone call from the surgery asking me to come in to see the doctor.
My HbA1c has dropped from 41 in May to 38 - it was 43.2 in Feb last year so that's why I'm being checked. I was pleasantly surprised as I thought that was why I was being called back.
BUT my Serum cholesterol has gone up from 4.9 in May this year to 5.4 which is over the limit of 5, my Se non HDL cholesterol level has gone form 2.8 in May to 3.4 which is over the limit of 3 and my serum urea level has also gone just over the normal limits.

I've been eating low carb as much as I can but I have put on 7 kg over the last year - mostly due to a family wedding and also eating to relieve stress.

I do not want to go back to statins but the doctor at the time I said I wanted to come off them said it depended on my results. I have patient access online to my records and after that consultation under the heading 'Problems' it says declined statins!! along with prediabetes, when I had it, hypertension and all the rest.

My question is - can I politely decline statins, or am I risking my health? And if so what do I say to the doctor to convince him it's not dangerous?
Also, am I eating too much protein and that's affecting the cholestorol and the urea? I know it's not the fat - although somebody on hearing my results said they were not surprised, implying it was because of all the fat and butter I've been eating.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
of course you can. You also need your fasting trigs and HDL and look at that ratio. Ratios are the key not totals and 5.4 is actually the UK average so pretty **** normal. If the surgery can't give you the ratios then tell them no.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
More importantly, what was your HDL and what were your triglycerides? They are the 2 elements that matter the most.

None of us can tell you what will be good for your health. All doctors are allowed to do is offer you statins. They cannot dictate that you take them. That decision is entirely yours. Personally, I just say "no thank you" I also have "statins declined" on my Patient Access notes.

Reactions: Kevin259

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They suggested I take statins as my total cholesterol was 4.8. I refused. A poll on here showed that 65% of people had negative side effects and stopped taking them.

See the film Statin Nation. A short excerpt here ...

srg100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both!

My HDL was 2 and my non-fasting triglycerides were 1.6 - thay didn't ask me to take the test fasted.
My CHOLESTEROL/HDL RATIO was 2.7
Does that help?

It's more awkward as the doctor is a family friend - the other doctor in the practise that I could go to is, surprisingly, very pro-statins, despite being happy for me to try lowcarb.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Health care professionals roles are to advise. It is ultimately your decision to accept or decline that advice.
Arm yourself with a few facts to convince your GP that you are making an informed decision and then say 'No, thank you' but if he or she persists, as mine did, then you just repeat your thanks.

Reactions: Nidge247

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you have any heart related issues then consider them. i take them. i even had side effects from the cheaper one muscle pains and kidney function issues. the new one does not cause me any problems. clearly a 7kg weight gain is not down to a wedding. your comfort eating will be a bigger issue. if your gaining it means your eating more than your body needs. the lchd is not eat as much as you can its eat until your comfortable. cut back a little on the fats and protean. see how that does over a week or two.

srg100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They suggested I take statins as my total cholesterol was 4.8. I refused. A poll on here showed that 65% of people had negative side effects and stopped taking them.

Thanks so much for that clip! I must watch the whole film again and get my facts staright before my appointment.
Where do I find the poll?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both!

My HDL was 2 and my non-fasting triglycerides were 1.6 - thay didn't ask me to take the test fasted.
My CHOLESTEROL/HDL RATIO was 2.7
Does that help?

It's more awkward as the doctor is a family friend - the other doctor in the practise that I could go to is, surprisingly, very pro-statins, despite being happy for me to try lowcarb.

The total/HDL should be under 5. So yours is good.

Your HDL is very good. The higher the better. Your trigs would possibly have been lower had you fasted. Next time make sure you fast even if told not to. There are 2 standards for Trigs.
Fasting under 1.7
Non fasting under 2.3

So your trigs are also good.

The important ratio is the Trigs/HDL which ideally should be under 0.87. Yours is 0.8. (UK measurements)

Doctors still look at the total, but really this is old news. The total is a total of the good and the bad, in other words HDL+LDL+46% of trigs (UK measurement). As it includes the HDL (good stuff) it will always increase if the good stuff increases.

Reactions: srg100 and dbr10

srg100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
if you have any heart related issues then consider them. i take them. i even had side effects from the cheaper one muscle pains and kidney function issues. the new one does not cause me any problems. clearly a 7kg weight gain is not down to a wedding. your comfort eating will be a bigger issue. if your gaining it means your eating more than your body needs. the lchd is not eat as much as you can its eat until your comfortable. cut back a little on the fats and protean. see how that does over a week or two.

I don't have any heart issues.
What is the statin you're on called? I was on Atorvastatin.

I know I eat too much - it's something I've struggled with for years. Cutting back on fat and protein is worth a try - thanks!

srg100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The total/HDL should be under 5. So yours is good.

Your HDL is very good. The higher the better. Your trigs would possibly have been lower had you fasted. Next time make sure you fast even if told not to. There are 2 standards for Trigs.
Fasting under 1.7
Non fasting under 2.3

So your trigs are also good.

The important ratio is the Trigs/HDL which ideally should be under 0.87. Yours is 0.8. (UK measurements)

Doctors still look at the total, but really this is old news. The total is a total of the good and the bad, in other words HDL+LDL+46% of trigs (UK measurement). As it includes the HDL (good stuff) it will always increase if the good stuff increases.

Thanks for explaining all this.
Maybe I can convince him that if the ratio is good I can hold off on the statins for the moment....

Do I need to reduce the LDL and if so how?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doctors are not God's, nor do they know everything. Your health is yours to control with the SUPPORT of your GP. They can only advise, nothing else.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have any heart issues.
Cutting back on fat and protein is worth a try - thanks!

Great that you don't have any heart issues but please be careful with cutting back on fats and proteins especially do not replace these with carbohydrates.
My own cholesterol has gone up but do I care? no way. My Trig HDL ratio is pretty stable at 0.8 which I am quite happy with. if your doc is using a total cholesterol number to advise you on taking a statin then I'm afraid he is about 20 years behind the times.
Well done on reducing your HbA1c to non pre-diabetic levels.
If you want some extra ammo to use just remind him that one of the side effects of statins can be raised blood glucose so why would he want to undo all your good work?

Reactions: srg100 and dbr10

srg100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great that you don't have any heart issues but please be careful with cutting back on fats and proteins especially do not replace these with carbohydrates.
My own cholesterol has gone up but do I care? no way. My Trig HDL ratio is pretty stable at 0.8 which I am quite happy with. if your doc is using a total cholesterol number to advise you on taking a statin then I'm afraid he is about 20 years behind the times.
Well done on reducing your HbA1c to non pre-diabetic levels.
If you want some extra ammo to use just remind him that one of the side effects of statins can be raised blood glucose so why would he want to undo all your good work?

Thanks for the support and the ammo!!
I understood that the protein should be about a quarter of a plate but the fat should be increased to replace the carbs which are cut right back. And low carb veg should be eaten in large quantities. Is that correct?
I have been eating quite high quantities of protien, more than as above, including snacking on it, so maybe it is too much. I've tried to keep the cheese to a minimum as I can overeat that very easily.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Cholesterol is part of the metabolic system. Any changes to diet will obviously affect levels one way or another, this settles down when the shock of the changes becomes stabilised. My levels are sky high but I care not a jot because I know I am now comfortable with my diet and I know that cholesterol levels take a while to normalise (for each individual) so even though I choose not to take a statin I know my levels will return to normal levels 'for me'. Also, when experiencing weight loss this can skew your levels until your weight stabilises again.

As to the suggestion up thread about cutting fats and proteins, if you are already lowering your carb intake then you lower your protein and fats you are going to leave yourself hungry and then you will be tempted to cheat on carbs. Take your time, test your glucose and stick to the non starchy veg like leafy greens and above ground stuff. Good luck.

Reactions: srg100

srg100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cholesterol is part of the metabolic system. Any changes to diet will obviously affect levels one way or another, this settles down when the shock of the changes becomes stabilised. My levels are sky high but I care not a jot because I know I am now comfortable with my diet and I know that cholesterol levels take a while to normalise (for each individual) so even though I choose not to take a statin I know my levels will return to normal levels 'for me'. Also, when experiencing weight loss this can skew your levels until your weight stabilises again.

As to the suggestion up thread about cutting fats and proteins, if you are already lowering your carb intake then you lower your protein and fats you are going to leave yourself hungry and then you will be tempted to cheat on carbs. Take your time, test your glucose and stick to the non starchy veg like leafy greens and above ground stuff. Good luck.

I suppose like everything it's a question of getting the right balance.

srg100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow!!
I'm amazed to have had so many great responses so fast. This forum is amazing!!

Reactions: Guzzler