How do I say no to statins

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 50 and mine's 4 and I don't take statins, I live on chicken, tuna & eggs for protein, porridge oats, wholemeal bread & basmati rice, semi skim milk, plenty of veg, I avoid red meat and processed food.

The consultant still suggested statins mind 8)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the support and the ammo!!
I understood that the protein should be about a quarter of a plate but the fat should be increased to replace the carbs which are cut right back. And low carb veg should be eaten in large quantities. Is that correct?
I have been eating quite high quantities of protien, more than as above, including snacking on it, so maybe it is too much. I've tried to keep the cheese to a minimum as I can overeat that very easily.
I don't limit my protein and don't really restrict fat just carbs.. I try to have fewer than 20g per day so have green veg only salad in the summer. Often have cheese, cream and butter.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't have any heart issues.
What is the statin you're on called? I was on Atorvastatin.

I know I eat too much - it's something I've struggled with for years. Cutting back on fat and protein is worth a try - thanks!
i was on atorva 80mg that was like a stupid dose. simvastatin 20mg its brought my cholesterol levels to normal. i have a family hypertensive issue. and cardiac myopathy and unstable angina. gout, diabetes obviously

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 50 and mine's 4 and I don't take statins, I live on chicken, tuna & eggs for protein, porridge oats, wholemeal bread & basmati rice, semi skim milk, plenty of veg, I avoid red meat and processed food.

The consultant still suggested statins mind 8)

Please bear in mind you are a T1 on insulin, so your diet can be far more relaxed. The OP has to rely on his own natural insulin and no meds to cover any carbs he eats. Porrige oats, bread and basmalti rice may well be totally unsuitable for him. All he can do is use his meter to test these foods out, and will have to have small portion sizes even then.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't restrict my protein at meal times at all, but I don't snack. I am a great believer that we need protein to build and repair our cells and keep us from falling over when we get older. I eat very low carb, normal protein that I have always eaten, and fill up on fats. I eat meat of all kinds, loads of eggs, and dairy, but do eat plenty of salmon (at least 3 times a week if not 4) plus other omega 3 foods such as flaxseed, and try to keep omega 6 foods as low as I can. Olive oil is also good for omega 3.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please bear in mind you are a T1 on insulin, so your diet can be far more relaxed. The OP has to rely on his own natural insulin and no meds to cover any carbs he eats. Porrige oats, bread and basmalti rice may well be totally unsuitable for him. All he can do is use his meter to test these foods out, and will have to have small portion sizes even then.

But on the other hand he may find it helps trying porridge oats, perhaps to replace a different carb, and I wouldn't class my diet as 'relaxed' in any way to be honest.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But on the other hand he may find it helps trying porridge oats, perhaps to replace a different carb, and I wouldn't class my diet as 'relaxed' in any way to be honest.

Most T2 not on BS lowering medication simply cannot handle carbs to any degree. Sure, some of the forumites have said they can handle small amounts occasionally but the fact remains that you can cover your carbs with insulin, we can't. What does happen is we have to produce more insulin to metabolise those sugars.

The bottom line is that not eating carbs will vastly improve a blood lipid profile, eating oats wont.

My story is that at over 20 stones and undiagnosed as having T2, my total cholesterol was around 3.5 and not one bit of it any good. I now hover around the 5-6 mark, most of which is not trigs or LDL.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most T2 not on BS lowering medication simply cannot handle carbs to any degree. Sure, some of the forumites have said they can handle small amounts occasionally but the fact remains that you can cover your carbs with insulin, we can't. What does happen is we have to produce more insulin to metabolise those sugars.

The bottom line is that not eating carbs will vastly improve a blood lipid profile, eating oats wont.

My story is that at over 20 stones and undiagnosed as having T2, my total cholesterol was around 3.5 and not one bit of it any good. I now hover around the 5-6 mark, most of which is not trigs or LDL.

As I say, porridge oats are good for lowering statins, whether the OP can fit a bowl of porridge oats into their daily diet is another question but with a hba1c of 38 one would assume they can.

Cutting processed meats/red meats helps too....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I say, porridge oats are good for lowering statins, whether the OP can fit a bowl of porridge oats into their daily diet is another question but with a hba1c of 38 one would assume they can.

Double disagree...

You imply that lowering cholesterol is necessarily "good" which is rather debateable..

Also what's your beef (deliberate pun) with red meat?

Reactions: dbr10

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Double disagree...

You imply that lowering cholesterol is necessarily "good" which is rather debateable..

Also what's your beef (deliberate pun) with red meat?

[QUOTE}I know you're not doctors but I'm hoping someone can help me :)

I was on statins from about Oct 15 until November 16 as my cholesterol was high. I stopped because the numbers were better and I didn't want to be on them having found out what they can do - and can't! I understand they can increase the risk of diabetes - is that right? Apart from anything else.

Got my latest blood test results today. And a phone call from the surgery asking me to come in to see the doctor.
My HbA1c has dropped from 41 in May to 38 - it was 43.2 in Feb last year so that's why I'm being checked. I was pleasantly surprised as I thought that was why I was being called back.
BUT my Serum cholesterol has gone up from 4.9 in May this year to 5.4 which is over the limit of 5, my Se non HDL cholesterol level has gone form 2.8 in May to 3.4 which is over the limit of 3 and my serum urea level has also gone just over the normal limits.

I've been eating low carb as much as I can but I have put on 7 kg over the last year - mostly due to a family wedding and also eating to relieve stress.

I do not want to go back to statins but the doctor at the time I said I wanted to come off them said it depended on my results. I have patient access online to my records and after that consultation under the heading 'Problems' it says declined statins!! along with prediabetes, when I had it, hypertension and all the rest.

My question is - can I politely decline statins, or am I risking my health? And if so what do I say to the doctor to convince him it's not dangerous?
Also, am I eating too much protein and that's affecting the cholestorol and the urea? I know it's not the fat - although somebody on hearing my results said they were not surprised, implying it was because of all the fat and butter I've been eating.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I was originally replying to this post in regard to taking/not taking statins to lower cholesterol, and having a reasonably low cholesterol myself was making a couple of diet suggestions, with the OP seeming to have an ok hba1c score.

What's my beef with red meat?

It just don't cut the mustard.... :p

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Agree about the porridge my T2 husband eats it every day for breakfast and his BG levels are good

Reactions: kev-w

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BUT my Serum cholesterol has gone up from 4.9 in May this year to 5.4 which is over the limit of 5, my Se non HDL cholesterol level has gone form 2.8 in May to 3.4 which is over the limit of 3 and my serum urea level has also gone just over the normal limits.

Do you happen to know your triglyceride number?
I would imagine that 4.9 to 5.4 a tiny change and hardly anything for your doctor to panic about.
There is no "limit" to total cholesterol and it is a pretty meaningless number anyway so to use it for prescribing medication is (in my view) tantamount to malpractice but that is what NICE guidelines tell your GP to do ...
There are countless threads and discussions on the forum about cholesterol and statins and I personally am completely anti them (statins that is rather than discussions!).
It is up to you what you put into your body your GP is there to advise.
You never did answer the question if you are Type 1 as your profile says or Type 2?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
{{BUT my Serum cholesterol has gone up from 4.9 in May this year to 5.4 which is over the limit of 5, my Se non HDL cholesterol level has gone form 2.8 in May to 3.4 which is over the limit of 3 and my serum urea level has also gone just over the normal limits.}}
I would imagine that 4.9 to 5.4 a tiny change and hardly anything for your doctor to panic about.
There is no "limit" to total cholesterol and it is a pretty meaningless number anyway so to use it for prescribing medication is (in my view) tantamount to malpractice but that is what NICE guidelines tell your GP to do ...
There are countless threads and discussions on the forum about cholesterol and statins and I personally am completely anti them (statins that is rather than discussions!).
You never did answer the question if you are Type 1 as your profile says or Type 2?

At the beginning of your post you quote something I didn't write, the OP did, I didn't answer the type question as I put T1 in my profile as that's what I am, and again, with my cholesterol reading being 4 (aged 50 & T1 for 33 years) NOT using statins, hence my original reference to diet.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the beginning of your post you quote something I didn't write, the OP did, I didn't answer the type question as I put T1 in my profile as that's what I am, and again, with my cholesterol reading being 4 (aged 50 & T1 for 33 years) NOT using statins, hence my original reference to diet.
sorry your quote wasn't very clearly a quote..which has caused some confusion apologies.

srg100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't restrict my protein at meal times at all, but I don't snack. I am a great believer that we need protein to build and repair our cells and keep us from falling over when we get older. I eat very low carb, normal protein that I have always eaten, and fill up on fats. I eat meat of all kinds, loads of eggs, and dairy, but do eat plenty of salmon (at least 3 times a week if not 4) plus other omega 3 foods such as flaxseed, and try to keep omega 6 foods as low as I can. Olive oil is also good for omega 3.

That's very helpful. Thansk

srg100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

My triglceride was 1.6.
Does that make a difference?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Current thought is that the triglyceride/HDL ratio is the most important cholesterol measure when looking at the likelihood of CVD.
So with your 1.6/3.4 you get a ratio of 0.47 ... anything under 0.87 is meant to be excellent .... so...

srg100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Current thought is that the triglyceride/HDL ratio is the most important cholesterol measure when looking at the likelihood of CVD.
So with your 1.6/3.4 you get a ratio of 0.47 ... anything under 0.87 is meant to be excellent .... so...

My se non HDL, whatever that is, was 3.4 my HDL was 2. But that's still a ratio of 0.8.
BTW who is the 'current thought'.
Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My se non HDL, whatever that is, was 3.4 my HDL was 2. But that's still a ratio of 0.8.
BTW who is the 'current thought'.
Thanks
Mosty non-doctors who have investigated this fairly thoroughly .. with open minds.

try this one.