Dexcom g5

joanne75

Hi I am seriously considering buying one whilst they have their offer on can anyone who has one give me a bit of info on how they are doing with it before I jump feet in and get one, I'm currently using the omnipod thanks in advance

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@joanne75 . I've recently started using the Dexcom G4, not the G5 granted, but can honestly say it's proving to be an inspirational purchase.
I've been doing diabetes for 27 yrs and know a fair bit about it. 19 days hooked up to the G4 has given me so much information to make more informed decisions. Things I could never have known are now so obvious.
There are differences between the G5 and G4 I believe......
G4 needs a receiver. G5 can connect to a smart phone ( I think )
G4 transmitter lasts longer than G5 people have stated.
But as a system I would definitely recommend dexcom even after such a short time.
Customer service was great when ordering, delivery within 2 working days ( UK ).
If I can answer anymore questions feel free to ask. If I know the answers I'll be glad to help.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@therower : Specifically what information have you found the Dexcom provides you to make more informed decisions about your diabetes. Give be a few tidbits, I'm considering one myself after all these years.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @TheBigNewt . Bearing in mind I've only been hooked up to the dexcom for 3 weeks, things are still new to me.
A few things I've found.........
Having a reading every 5 minutes displayed as a visual flow line is unbelievable informative. Observing what my bs does throughout the night as made me realise I don't actually suffer with dawn phenomenon. A few tweaks to bedtime eating and basal and I'm now staying on a straight line throughout the night and wake with bs levels in a much better place.
Being able to see how different foods spike my bs and for how long, resulting in the option to experiment with different pre bolus times. Surprising to see food affect bs and cause a sudden increase and then see insulin kick in and start to bring bs level back down again.
A quick glance at the reader and to know that it will say 7.8 followed by a direction arrow, informing that it's 7.8 and has been at that level for the past 50 minutes or it's 7.8 and falling rapidly 20 minutes prior I was at 9.2. Enabling me to take evasive action to prevent a possible low. Obviously the reverse of this would be rapidly climbing and being able to take evasive action.
In all honesty I'm a techno phob and really suspect anything like this, but taking the plunge, albeit a bit costly, has proven to be a really good move for me so far.
Good luck if you choose to invest in a CGM.

joanne75

@joanne75 . I've recently started using the Dexcom G4, not the G5 granted, but can honestly say it's proving to be an inspirational purchase.
I've been doing diabetes for 27 yrs and know a fair bit about it. 19 days hooked up to the G4 has given me so much information to make more informed decisions. Things I could never have known are now so obvious.
There are differences between the G5 and G4 I believe......
G4 needs a receiver. G5 can connect to a smart phone ( I think )
G4 transmitter lasts longer than G5 people have stated.
But as a system I would definitely recommend dexcom even after such a short time.
Customer service was great when ordering, delivery within 2 working days ( UK ).
If I can answer anymore questions feel free to ask. If I know the answers I'll be glad to help.
Thank u so much for the info, how long are you getting out of the sensors and how do u get a longer period out of them I love the idea of it and just looking at my mobile to see data I take it u can use them when swimming? Do u set alarms on yours?

iHs

I use that famous android app with my G5 transmitter but use my pump with my G4. I get about 3 weeks with a sensor on my tummy or leg and 4 to 5 weeks with sensor on my arm. I get me money's worth out of this technology

Reactions: therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank u so much for the info, how long are you getting out of the sensors and how do u get a longer period out of them I love the idea of it and just looking at my mobile to see data I take it u can use them when swimming? Do u set alarms on yours?
Hi Joanne. As I said earlier I'm only 3 weeks in with the dexcom but I'm more than happy to tell you what I know so far.
This is my first sensor. Fitted 3 weeks ago tomorrow (Saturday) readings still extremely close to blood finger prick test. Usually no more than 1.0 difference. I calibrate twice a day, morning and evening, this is advised by Dexcom. I intend to keep this sensor on for as long as readings are inline with finger prick test or until it falls off:).
It seems the biggest issue with longevity of the sensors is keeping them in place.
I first attached mine with an opsite flexifix patch and skin tac ( YouTube) . This lasted 14 days before it started to come away. I used a pair of sharp scissors to carefully cut away the opsite patch, cleaned the area, re applied skin tac and have now fitted a dexcom patch. This patch is a bit like an Elastoplast and is still going strong 7 days in. I have a fairly manual job, lots of stretching, twisting and turning also use heavy weights at the gym 6 days a week and the patches seem to cope well with what I'm asking of them.
Not been swimming but dexcom say the sensor is waterproof at 2.44 meters for 24 hours, so that sounds good. I guess it's a case of getting a quality patch to stay stuck whilst swimming.
The alarms can be set to your choosing, with repeat alarms available as well. There is a factory set alarm at 3.1 which cannot be deactivated for reasons of not letting you go into a serious hypo.
Hope this helps. I have to say I'm finding the dexcom really good, expensive but worth every penny so far.
Have a good day.

joanne75

Thank you so much this is so encouraging, so I would need to get some plasters to go over the top of the sensor? and skin tac possibly> I am going to purchase this next week what would you say the likely running costs per month would be? will you mind if I hassle you once I have it for advice etc? :)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@joanne75 . I purchased a 1 metre roll of opsite flexifix, 50 skin tac wipes and 25 insulinlife dexcom patches. Total price was circa £60. I cut the patch shape I need from the roll of opsite ( cut an oval shape ) I would expect the 1 metre roll to make at least 30 patches if not more. Theoretically 2 yrs with the opsite at a cost of £15.
Skin tac was £30 for 50 wipes. I've used 2 so far this month. Again maybe 2 yrs.
Dexcom patches £15 for 25. So again 2 yrs possibly.
Fortunately I get alcohol wipes foc, you will need these but if I recall they are not overly expensive.
Obviously the sensors are the big hit at just over £50. My aim is to only use 1 sensor a month. If it fails/ falls off after 3 weeks then I'll go 1 week dexcom free.
So , not being a great mathematician, I would say that £60 a month should cover it.
Obviously my transmitter cost £270 but I've not factored that in on account it's paid for and should last a year +.
Apparently G5 transmitter does not last as long, might be something you need to consider if you go G5 route.
G4 receiver set me back £350 but will hopefully go indefinitely ( hopefully). G5 doesn't need receiver just a smart phone so I'm led to believe, a saving could be made there.
Hope this helps.
Let me know how you get on.
Re booting my sensor for 3rd time tomorrow, getting better value for money every day.:)

cxl0702

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using one for 3 weeks and been diabetic 4. I use the g5 driven on my iPhone X. I find having others following me to be useful. My mother called me on Saturday a tad early to tell me I was low. Using a daxcom I have been able to quickly get on the right path. What I find more useful is knowing constantly we’re your blood is at rather than manual testing every so often. You can also use a web service and see all your level history. Problem is there ruddy expensive 50 notes for a sensor a week yes they can go further but become less accurate. Also they only go to 22 so when your mega high they don’t record how high you really went. They do a susbsribe 160 or 200 and something. I think constant monitors need to be provided to all via the nhs for far better control and confidence. But the ideal scenario would be a sensor that talks to your pump and just does everything for you.

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
Hi. Been using the G5 for two years now and don't know what I'd do without it. Only problems are the incorrect readings that can happen during the first 24 hours after insertion of a new sensor, and false lows I seem to mainly get during the night from time to time. My sensor was failing a couple of nights ago and the low alert kept going off all night. Unlike others, the longest I can use a sensor is two weeks. I love Dex. He's part of me now. Have to admit I feel really free when I don't have Dex attached because I suppose blood sugar ignorance can sometimes be bliss and you can pretend you're not diabetic. Sigh.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@sweetbloodsher . Hi, have to agree the Dexcom does seem to need a day to settle down. I was very wary as to where I located mine, didn't want to lay on it during the night as apparently this can cause false low readings. Have to admit I had no problems for 3 weeks of use. Every time I calibrated or cross checked with a finger prick the dexcom was very close, if not spot on. I do think though that once you start going to the extremes, whether it be below 4 or above 14 , then the variances between Dec and meter can become more significant. As you say though, the Dec is a great piece of kit.
Only used one sensor so far, intend to put second one on within the next few days, can't wait:):)

joanne75

Thanks for all your replies, I have now ordered one and it should be here by the end of the week, Im hoping to get more than a week out of the sensor as I cannot afford £50 odd pound a week! does anyone know if the xdrip thing that some mention is available on the iphone or is it just an android?

iHs

Xdrip runs on android 5.1 and upwards. There is an IOS version of it but can't say how good it is because I don't have apple. Look on social media for all the info.
Good luck with the G5 and the sensors. I've gained lots of info from people using it. I insert vertically now in my tummy and the same with my leg and arms and treat it a bit like the Libre and wait about 15hrs before starting it to warm up to ensure that the sensor wire makes its home under my skin.

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
@sweetbloodsher . Hi, have to agree the Dexcom does seem to need a day to settle down. I was very wary as to where I located mine, didn't want to lay on it during the night as apparently this can cause false low readings. Have to admit I had no problems for 3 weeks of use. Every time I calibrated or cross checked with a finger prick the dexcom was very close, if not spot on. I do think though that once you start going to the extremes, whether it be below 4 or above 14 , then the variances between Dec and meter can become more significant. As you say though, the Dec is a great piece of kit.
Only used one sensor so far, intend to put second one on within the next few days, can't wait:):)
I think you were wondering about swimming with Dex....yes, I swim all the time and called their customer service the first time I wanted to jump in the jacuzzi. No problem, and, of course, their customer service is superb. They offered to send another sensor out to my vacation location if I had any problems with the jacuzzi.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@sweetbloodsher . No it wasn't me who was actually asking / worried about swimming. It was the OP, joanne75.
Thanks for the advice though, I'm sure it'll come in handy one day.
Seasons greetings .

Reactions: sweetbloodsher

joanne75

@joanne75 . I purchased a 1 metre roll of opsite flexifix, 50 skin tac wipes and 25 insulinlife dexcom patches. Total price was circa £60. I cut the patch shape I need from the roll of opsite ( cut an oval shape ) I would expect the 1 metre roll to make at least 30 patches if not more. Theoretically 2 yrs with the opsite at a cost of £15.
Skin tac was £30 for 50 wipes. I've used 2 so far this month. Again maybe 2 yrs.
Dexcom patches £15 for 25. So again 2 yrs possibly.
Fortunately I get alcohol wipes foc, you will need these but if I recall they are not overly expensive.
Obviously the sensors are the big hit at just over £50. My aim is to only use 1 sensor a month. If it fails/ falls off after 3 weeks then I'll go 1 week dexcom free.
So , not being a great mathematician, I would say that £60 a month should cover it.
Obviously my transmitter cost £270 but I've not factored that in on account it's paid for and should last a year +.
Apparently G5 transmitter does not last as long, might be something you need to consider if you go G5 route.
G4 receiver set me back £350 but will hopefully go indefinitely ( hopefully). G5 doesn't need receiver just a smart phone so I'm led to believe, a saving could be made there.
Hope this helps.
Let me know how you get on.
Re booting my sensor for 3rd time tomorrow, getting better value for money every day.:)
Hi I’ve now got my dexcom and looking to order some sticky patches etc can u tell me in which order you apply all of the things you mentioned above so I’m sure I’ve ordered all the right things thanks

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @joanne75 .
When I fix a new sensor I follow this routine.
1. Shave the chosen area. Larger than the actual patch size.
2 . Wash and dry the area thoroughly.
3. Wipe the area with an alcohol wipe. ( keep wipe to wipe transmitter prior to attaching to sensor) Allow to dry.
4. Apply skin tac.
5 Attach sensor as dexcom instructions.
6. Overlay the opsite patch ( cut to shape before starting) or apply custom made dexcom patch available off internet/ amazon.

I find laying everything out on a table prior to starting helps.
I also do a dry run as it were. I go through the application process by just picking everything up and then placing it back down again.
Dexcom actually have all the applications on YouTube and you can actually see the process in real time with real people.
Hope this helps, if I can help more just ask.