Type 1 Breakfast

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I take a tablespoonful of cream just before I go to sleep. This seems to keep my sugars low. I am pre-diabetic. Maybe its the fat in the cream that does it for me

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have greek yogurt or weight watchers yogurts after my tea most days serves me well not tried in mornings tho

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is there not lots of sugar in Greek yoghurt!? I think I’m going to have to try it out it seems to be working for most people!?

Greek yoghurt is the way forward for me or any kind of Greek style plain yoghurt. Try to avoid the fruit corner style ones as they have a lot of sugar. I tend to buy the big tubs from Aldi/Lidl and occasionally add nuts, cinnamon or berries to mix it up a bit.

Might be worth a try, keep us posted

Reactions: Antje77

emmawhit32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying if you have nothing nice to say don’t say anything!
Greek yoghurt is the way forward for me or any kind of Greek style plain yoghurt. Try to avoid the fruit corner style ones as they have a lot of sugar. I tend to buy the big tubs from Aldi/Lidl and occasionally add nuts, cinnamon or berries to mix it up a bit.

Might be worth a try, keep us posted

I’m going to Aldi tonight so I’m definitely going to get some... and I’ve heard ham and cheese is a good option too! I’ll try anything at the mo! I’ve been 6.2 most of the day today so I’m feeling a bit better about things, yesterday was such a struggle! If I go over 10 I worry I’ll wake up blind one morning... as if diabetes is not hard enough to live with, then u get smacked with all the complications too.. diabetics sucks lol

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I have have breakfast my sugars spike up to 15! And stay that way until after lunch. I’ve tried everything but nothing works. After lunch everything is ok and I can snack and eat but anything before then is a no go for me!

Have you tried exercise? You could do so either before or after breakfast, but I would recommend after since then the exercise could act on the insulin you've given. For me, if I have any IOB, or even just basal, 5-10 minutes of walking will make my blood sugars drop like a rock. Try different lengths and intensities of exercise, and of course make sure you keep checking your blood sugar.

emmawhit32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I would love to but unfortunately I work full time I don’t really have the time to exercise on a morning I do go to the gym on an evening 2/3 times a week. I’m going to try cut carbs on an evening and maybe try ham and cheese or eggs for breakfast for a few days see how that works for me!

Reactions: mytype1.life

emmawhit32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I would love to but unfortunately I work full time I don’t really have the time to exercise on a morning I do go to the gym on an evening 2/3 times a week. I’m going to try cut carbs on an evening and maybe try ham and cheese or eggs for breakfast for a few days see how that works for me!

Oh and Greek yoghurt!!

Reactions: mytype1.life

Ellie3919

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Plain unsweetened greek yoghurt doesn't have any sugar. Check the back of the package to make sure. It has 10% fat, so tastes wonderful without sweetening and is filling as well. You can also make wonderful zaziki with it to accompany you meal (or eat out of the pot every time you pass the fridge): yoghurt, grated cucumber, bit of lemon juice, lots of fresh garlic, splash of olive oil, pinch of salt. I love it on about every meat or vegetable, and also like to add a big spoon of it to my bowl of soup or stew :)
It is not strictly true that plain Greek yogurt has no sugar. I has no added sugar, but does contain some lactose from the milk, although most of it has been used by the bugs that make the yogurt. If it doesn't knock your blood sugar out though it is obviously ok.

Ellie3919

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Does anybody else struggle with breakfast?? If I don’t have breakfast my sugars stay level if I dare to eat breakfast I struggle to get them down to normal for the rest of the Morning! My diabetes hates breakfast!!
Is your breakfast always starch based? What happens if you have cheese and ham or egg and bacon?

emmawhit32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Is your breakfast always starch based? What happens if you have cheese and ham or egg and bacon?

I tried ham and cheese and cucumber today for breakfast as suggested by a forum member and my sugars were absolutely fine this morning! It was a bit of a strange combo but I actually quite enjoyed it so I’m ok as long as no carbs are involved!

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tried ham and cheese and cucumber today for breakfast as suggested by a forum member and my sugars were absolutely fine this morning! It was a bit of a strange combo but I actually quite enjoyed it so I’m ok as long as no carbs are involved!

Yesssss!! Well done @emmawhit32, glad you found something that works for you. Hopefully you can say goodbye to those spikes!

emmawhit32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yesssss!! Well done @emmawhit32, glad you found something that works for you. Hopefully you can say goodbye to those spikes!

Thank you @tiredoftrying2017 had a great day today!! but I did treat myself to a chocolate biscuit after tea... ok 2!! but sugars currently at 4.8 so winner winner chicken dinner... which is actually what I had for tea too lol. The Greek yoghurt I’m saving for a Saturday morning treat!!

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you @tiredoftrying2017 had a great day today!! but I did treat myself to a chocolate biscuit after tea... ok 2!! but sugars currently at 4.8 so winner winner chicken dinner... which is actually what I had for tea too lol. The Greek yoghurt I’m saving for a Saturday morning treat!!

Fantastic!!! I made the mistake of having a cheeky biscuit this morning (mainly because I thought I could relax a little bit after having my HbA1c yesterday) but clearly it was the wrong time of day or the wrong biscuit... oops! The vertical arrow on my Libre told me not to do that again in a hurry! Back to normal by lunch thankfully! I’m glad you managed to enjoy a couple Enjoy the yoghurt!

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
YES! I often have a lovely number and straight line on my CGM and hate to ruin it with eating breakfast. Unfortunately, I love breakfast.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so I kinda have an algorithm for breakfast and it goes like this.

Oh and currently I'm on pre-mixed twice a day insulin so either way I need to take a shot.

IF after breakfast = going to work (walking and running around on the tubes etc) OR a training session THEN breakfast = 2 wholemeal toasts or a bowl of porridge (Porridge is only really used pre training) and a mug of tea with semi-skimmed milk

So about 40-80g of carbs depending on if training or not.
--
IF after breakfast = sitting on my ass doing nothing OR 'working from home' THEN breakfast = 4-5 scrambled eggs with either turkey rashers or smoked salmon, mashed avocado and mug of tea with semi-skimmed milk

So about 20g carbs if that

No chance I could go without breakfast.

P

pollensa

Does anybody else struggle with breakfast?? If I don’t have breakfast my sugars stay level if I dare to eat breakfast I struggle to get them down to normal for the rest of the Morning! My diabetes hates breakfast!!
Hello, as you don't mention what you have FOR BREAKFAST, its hard to assist with any recommendations, ideas or comments unfortunately, it seems mornings are the worst for everyone, even myself with Pre diabetes, whatever your having, perhaps suggestion box absolutely no carbs, that is no bread whatsoever, seed crackers instead, eggs, bacon, eggs asparagus, or greek yogurt with a tiny few berries or fresh strawberries, lots of sunflower seeds, sesame, flax and chia, with almonds or walnuts on top yummie.....green tea, such items as little or no carbs should assist in your morning levels, also try fasting for two mornings a week NO BREAKFAST, and then test the day you eat breakfast, i.e. foods above or similar......and I am sure you may be pleasantly surprised, each body is different, but if you don't put carbs in including bread toast really, your levels should be OK if you eat the right foods, Keto breakfast plan, see their omelette Mexican, and many fab dishes to start the day with.

Hope this helps.

Mallorca

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Yep, me also. I have just given up on breakfast, as any carbs just sends me high no matter how much insulin I take, and I just can't face eggs or anything like that. So I just have a cup of coffee and then drink water until lunch time and my BGL is totally fine. Breakfast is just too much hassle, my diabetes behaves perfectly as long as I don't eat!

Reactions: emmawhit32

davidjb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football; anything by Kylie Minogue, Madonna, Whitney Houston, any X-Factor/BGT winner, groups like Girls Aloud etc. (you get the picture); misuse of 'your', 'you're', 'their', 'there', etc.; the use of 'of' as an auxiliary verb; Facebook and Twitter (just what the hell is all this 'hashtag' stuff?); 'celebrities'; I could go on but I'm beginning to sound grumpier than I really am.
Plain unsweetened greek yoghurt doesn't have any sugar. Check the back of the package to make sure. It has 10% fat, so tastes wonderful without sweetening and is filling as well. You can also make wonderful zaziki with it to accompany you meal (or eat out of the pot every time you pass the fridge): yoghurt, grated cucumber, bit of lemon juice, lots of fresh garlic, splash of olive oil, pinch of salt. I love it on about every meat or vegetable, and also like to add a big spoon of it to my bowl of soup or stew :)

Don't all yoghurts contain sugar in the form of lactose?