Type 1 Breakfast

emmawhit32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying if you have nothing nice to say don’t say anything!
Does anybody else struggle with breakfast?? If I don’t have breakfast my sugars stay level if I dare to eat breakfast I struggle to get them down to normal for the rest of the Morning! My diabetes hates breakfast!!

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anybody else struggle with breakfast?? If I don’t have breakfast my sugars stay level if I dare to eat breakfast I struggle to get them down to normal for the rest of the Morning! My diabetes hates breakfast!!

Ye i use to have weetabix till I got the libre and realised what it was doing to me lol now I just fast through to dinner (well I have a coffee touch of milk get away with it) since going gym in morning as this keeps me steady till dinner

emmawhit32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes this is what I find myself doing too!! I have weetabix as there’s very little sugar in it but brown toast also has the same effect on my sugars too. God help me if I ever fancy a bacon sarnie lol!! Mayb I could eat it at the gym!!

Reactions: Sobo82
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I mainly eat a small yogurt or a small piece of fruit and take 1 unit of insulin.

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes this is what I find myself doing too!! I have weetabix as there’s very little sugar in it but brown toast also has the same effect on my sugars too. God help me if I ever fancy a bacon sarnie lol!! Mayb I could eat it at the gym!!

Good thinking full breakfast on treadmill while watching Jeremy Kyle on screens were on to something here

Reactions: emmawhit32

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me :( Recently I've been having big spikes after breakfast (up to around 10 or so, thankfully they come down fairly quickly with the exercise of getting dressed etc). So I changed my basal, and ate a little bit less, and today my blood sugar hardly spiked at all and wouldn't come up even with juice. I usually have 2 weetbix with peanut butter, an apple, and a frozen yoghurt or icecream.

emmawhit32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good thinking full breakfast on treadmill while watching Jeremy Kyle on screens were on to something here

Haha! We could start a class!

emmawhit32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Me :( Recently I've been having big spikes after breakfast (up to around 10 or so, thankfully they come down fairly quickly with the exercise of getting dressed etc). So I changed my basal, and ate a little bit less, and today my blood sugar hardly spiked at all and wouldn't come up even with juice. I usually have 2 weetbix with peanut butter, an apple, and a frozen yoghurt or icecream.

If I have have breakfast my sugars spike up to 15! And stay that way until after lunch. I’ve tried everything but nothing works. After lunch everything is ok and I can snack and eat but anything before then is a no go for me!

Reactions: karen8967

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have seen a massive improvement in my blood sugar control between breakfast and lunchtime since I stopped eating porridge - I loved it, but despite being as 'on the button' as I could with bolus timing I found the spike and often then a sudden drop would catch me more often than not.

I have two eggs with 1.7u insulin for breakfast. Added bonus is that I'm not ravenous by 10.30 like I used to be when I had porridge.

Im not anti porridge, or anti carb. But I found it too much like hard work to make it work for me, so I'm glad to have found a - for me - easier option.

:)

Reactions: h4kr

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the same experience as @Sobo82 with Weetabix and most cereals.
I generally have really good control between breakfast and lunch by eating either Greek yoghurt or Paleo muesli from Aldi. There’s only 7g of carbs per portion. Portions are small but it actually keeps me full until lunch. Sometimes I have a few berries with it. On a weekend I tend to have eggs.

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I generally have really good control between breakfast and lunch by eating either Greek yoghurt or Paleo muesli from Aldi. There’s only 7g of carbs per portion. Portions are small but it actually keeps me full until lunch. Sometimes I have a few berries with it. On a weekend I tend to have eggs.

The joys of diabetes hey glad you found something that suits

Reactions: mytype1.life

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I can’t bave any carbs per se for bf. I usually have a turkey / chicken roll up but then I also need a small bolus about an hour and a half later just to stop the morning rise.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the breakfast spike is generally due to the body being more reactive to carbs as we get up. Hormones. A bit like coming out of the dark of an overnight fast into bright light of...Weetabix. Yes its low in added sugar but all the wheat turns to glucose. Just the bacon could work but doesnt the J Kyle give you indigestiion?? I do bulketproof coffee(butter and coconut oil) and 1 tbsp nut butter. Weird I know but bgs are less spiky!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @emmawhit32
for years and years I have not ate breakfast for that very reason.

I always waited until my first "break" at work to eat something ( 10am - 10:30am )

I know not ideal -- but it worked for me.

hope that you find a solution that works for you.
x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You could try eating breakfast with (almost) no carbs. Plain greek yoghurt or bacon and eggs, or cucumber and cheese or so. Works for me. Good luck!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your spikes will be caused by the carbs in the cereal - it's not just sugar you need to think about. Eggs and bacon or similar will be much better. As you are T1 I assume you will be on the Basal/Bolus insulin regime in which case can't you just have more Bolus for that meal?

emmawhit32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. Your spikes will be caused by the carbs in the cereal - it's not just sugar you need to think about. Eggs and bacon or similar will be much better. As you are T1 I assume you will be on the Basal/Bolus insulin regime in which case can't you just have more Bolus for that meal?
No they spike no matter what! I had one piece of toast with low fat spread had 6 units of novo rapid which I figured was enough to cover it! they spiked to 15!! The problem is if I have any more I end up going low! If I have nothing they are fine! So frustrating!

emmawhit32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You could try eating breakfast with (almost) no carbs. Plain greek yoghurt or bacon and eggs, or cucumber and cheese or so. Works for me. Good luck!

I wish I had time to make bacon and eggs for breakfast! I might try the cucumber and cheese thou sounds quite nice!! :)

Reactions: Antje77

emmawhit32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Is there not lots of sugar in Greek yoghurt!? I think I’m going to have to try it out it seems to be working for most people!?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there not lots of sugar in Greek yoghurt!? I think I’m going to have to try it out it seems to be working for most people!?
Plain unsweetened greek yoghurt doesn't have any sugar. Check the back of the package to make sure. It has 10% fat, so tastes wonderful without sweetening and is filling as well. You can also make wonderful zaziki with it to accompany you meal (or eat out of the pot every time you pass the fridge): yoghurt, grated cucumber, bit of lemon juice, lots of fresh garlic, splash of olive oil, pinch of salt. I love it on about every meat or vegetable, and also like to add a big spoon of it to my bowl of soup or stew :)

Reactions: mytype1.life