Type 2 Diabetes Type 2 & Hypothyroidism

DiabetesDestroyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

My last 3 HbA1c results were 35, 40 and 35. This was achieved through exercise, low carb diet & 1000mg if Metformin.
My lastest results, was a week or so ago.
IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

My TSH has increased substantially.
Could this be a new issue, hypothyroidism(my doctor has put me on 25mcg Levothyroxine)and could my Metformin actually be keeping the TSH lower than it potentially is?

Thanks x

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
More importantly do you feel ill. No energy, cold and weepy?

Otherwise I'd want that last test redone. I think a lab error, of course I could be wrong.
Do you have symptoms of underactive thyroid?

DiabetesDestroyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, yes... heavy bleeding, tiredness, worsening depression, maintaining my weight is harder even though exercising and low carbs. Ultrasound and bloods for heavy bleeding, show no cause.

DiabetesDestroyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
More importantly do you feel ill. No energy, cold and weepy?

Otherwise I'd want that last test redone. I think a lab error, of course I could be wrong.
Do you have symptoms of underactive thyroid?

Please see my reply x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please see my reply x

*****************r - TSH isn't a constant hormone. It can vary quite a bit week on week. The following are 4 TSH result, going back to Sept 2016 for me. There is supreme disinterest in these from my GP and two Endos.

Metforrmin can impact on TSH readings, but it's not too usual (as I understand it).

What is you major concern about this?

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi

My last 3 HbA1c results were 35, 40 and 35. This was achieved through exercise, low carb diet & 1000mg if Metformin.
My lastest results, was a week or so ago. View attachment 24784
View attachment 24785
My TSH has increased substantially.
Could this be a new issue, hypothyroidism(my doctor has put me on 25mcg Levothyroxine)and could my Metformin actually be keeping the TSH lower than it potentially is?

Thanks x
I've never heard of metformin influencing tsh levels.
@Indy51 might know if your tsh levels are of any concern other than the same your gp has made and supported you with 25mg of levothyroxine.
I don't know any gp who would give you levothyroxine unless you needed it.
Are you expecting a retest in 3mths time?
I'll be very interested in your next tsh level after t4 thyroxine.

It is a noted increase. Lets see what next blood test says?

For now are you eating well? I found the low carb way of eating very useful for my tsh levels.
I am surprised this has developed on a low carb diet thou. Mine improved not got worse. My 2000mg of metformin doesn't influence my tsh.

I hope you get less and less symptoms as your body absorbs that extra t4 med.
Remember to take on an empty stomach for better affect.

Feel free to private message me if you cannot shake your worry. As you've seen I'm not always on-line as I have a young family and needy partner.
You should start feeling much better on your med.
Keep observant when your diet changes, if it does. Diet can influence some peoples tsh, but not all.

Reactions: DiabetesDestroyer

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I'd ask for the test to be done again. Either the lab has changed how they measure, or your doc has changed lab since their 'normal range' has changed. Last year this result would have been normal, nothing to worry about, within limits. This year it strikes me that your doc may be following a standard procedure rather than thinking it through.

I had a similar blip a couple of years ago (raised tsh). My doc did some more work on it, Ca levels, Vit D levels etc. Turns out I have hypoparathyroidism. Treatment for hypothyroidism would have done nothing to help.

Did your ultrasound check for polycystic ovaries? Your symptoms sound like PCOS to me.

DiabetesDestroyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My ultrasound showed no issues. It’s the same hospital lab, but guidelines must have changed. I am having bloods done again in 6 weeks

Reactions: ickihun

DiabetesDestroyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Indy51 might know if your tsh levels are of any concern other than the same your gp has made and supported you with 25mg of levothyroxine.

For now are you eating well? I found the low carb way of eating very useful for my tsh levels.
I am surprised this has developed on a low carb diet thou. Mine improved not got worse. My 2000mg of metformin doesn't influence my tsh.

Feel free to private message me if you cannot shake your worry. As you've seen I'm not always on-line as I have a young family and needy partner.
Keep observant when your diet changes, if it does. Diet can influence some peoples tsh, but not all.

I am surprised too! It has kept my HbA1c well within limits!

DiabetesDestroyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I found this interesting study
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/metformins-effect-on-levothyroxine-absorption/

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Everything stops levothyroxine from absorbing so that is why its advised on an empty stomach, on rising out of bed.
When I started on more meds I just took them all together. No, you must take them on rising to an empty stomach like proton-pump inhibitors.
I give them 30-60mins to do their thing. Diabetics with slow digestion will definitely need that time for their drugs to take full effect.
Eating too much fat slows the digestion too.

Yes levothyroxine needs a good diet too not just metformin or fatty liver.
Remember your relying on the liver to process these meds.

DiabetesDestroyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everything stops levothyroxine from absorbing so that is why its advised on an empty stomach, on rising out of bed.
When I started on more meds I just took them all together. No, you must take them on rising to an empty stomach like proton-pump inhibitors.
I give them 30-60mins to do their thing. Diabetics with slow digestion will definitely need that time for their drugs to take full effect.
Eating too much fat slows the digestion too.

Yes levothyroxine needs a good diet too not just metformin or fatty liver.
Remember your relying on the liver to process these meds.

Thank you x

Reactions: ickihun