item 1.Things that annoy me

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Things that annoy me -

Heath companies who puts profits first before patient care and compassion![/Q

Errrr nothing annoys me - some things make me a bit sad, some things make me shake my head and smile wryly, some things make me feel a bit like meh, some things make me happy, some things make me frustrated- but annoyed no - can't be bothered wasting the energy
perhaps annoy is a poor choice of word any of your choices would do. but the facts remain the same

Last edited:

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Already on the way.My doctor is getting me a Dexcom G4 and omnipod but thanks to Christmas the arrived date is expected to be after new year. The running cost will bit higher than mdi(cons) but the advantage of better management (pro) in a long run.

Good for you!

gillytee31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My most hated phrase is "If I can do it anybody can". As well as being insulin controlled T2D I am also paralysed from the hips down and mostly use a wheelchair outside the house, so when people talk about exercise that anyone can do such as using stairs instead of lift, or walking to the local shops instead of driving I wonder if the speaker assumes there is no such thing as a disabled person. Recently I read an article in a health magazine that said anyone can hula hoop. So how do you hula hoop if you cannot stand unsupported?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Bite Me.jpg

Attachments

• Bite Me.jpg
    Bite Me.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: Crystalwand

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Stevia instead of the poisonous sugar!

It’s zero sugar, zero carb, zero calories!
Yes me to when I need some sweetener which is not a lot though usually to sprinkle on frozen fruit

Dark Horse

My most hated phrase is "If I can do it anybody can". As well as being insulin controlled T2D I am also paralysed from the hips down and mostly use a wheelchair outside the house, so when people talk about exercise that anyone can do such as using stairs instead of lift, or walking to the local shops instead of driving I wonder if the speaker assumes there is no such thing as a disabled person. Recently I read an article in a health magazine that said anyone can hula hoop. So how do you hula hoop if you cannot stand unsupported?
Yes, I've seen lots of 'beginners' fitness books that start from a level of fitness that most people can only dream of. However, on a positive note:-

Hula-hooping in a wheelchair (starts about 45 seconds in):-
Other ideas for seated hula-hooping:-

Juggling is another possibility (although when you are learning, one of those 'grabbers' is a good idea as there is often more dropping than juggling!):-

Seated dancing:-

These are all sufficiently hard work to have all the usual health benefits of exercise and, what's more, they're quite fun.

Reactions: Salvia

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy New Year to you all!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife is addicted to cooking programs/competitions etc. So I am forced to watch more than I would by choice .The amount of SUGAR used is amazing and I have never heard Chefs mention diabetes or an alternative to sugar Masterchef get contestants to cook for fish guilds etc. why not for a group of Diabetics in general the baking program talk about people who cant eat gluten Jamie Oliver campaigns against sugar but where are his recipe s for those who are diabetics I could go on with example after example but what's the point

I just wonder why you would expect them to mention diabetes or alternatives to sugar in their cooking they cook what the majority can eat and we are the minority not a special group to be considered . I am a person who just happens to have diabetes which does not entitle me to special treatment or food or makes me a different person to who I was before. I rarely mention it to anyone outside of this forum not even to my own family it's not something I want to talk about. Don't get me wrong it is not because I am ashamed of having diabetes as some seem to be I'm not there are just more interesting things to talk about. I know of some people who talk of nothing else but their aliments to anyone who will listen and I will not become one of them
I do not expect cooking programmes to mention sugar alternatives or have special cooking programmes for diabetics or restaurants to offer low carb meals as some people on here in the past have said they should Where would that end anyone who eats any differently to most people would expect to be catered for. Chefs would be going round in circles trying to do meals to suit every taste and diet.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since this appears to be the place to get things off one's chest...

Just the other day, when driving around with my sister in the passenger seat, I told her about the first 'Newcastle experiment' and the findings that within just a week, a calorie-restricted diet reduced the participants' fasting blood glucose to the level of non-diabetic people.

She said, "Well of course. It's common sense."

If I were to try to explain the colour of my face ever since, the amount of a saliva that is now inside my windscreen, the numerous casualties I caused on the road, and the various ways I've attempted to express my rage at her, it would take more than one forum.

So it didn't take two months, it took a few days. And it wasn't just a reduction, it was reduction to practically normal levels. All of this was obvious.

Everything is obvious once revealed, I suppose.

I said to her that perhaps I should get in touch with Roy Taylor and tell him that my sister said that this particular finding was obvious, and he didn't need to test for it.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I just wonder why you would expect them to mention diabetes or alternatives to sugar in their cooking they cook what the majority can eat and we are the minority not a special group to be considered . I am a person who just happens to have diabetes which does not entitle me to special treatment or food or makes me a different person to who I was before. I rarely mention it to anyone outside of this forum not even to my own family it's not something I want to talk about. Don't get me wrong it is not because I am ashamed of having diabetes as some seem to be I'm not there are just more interesting things to talk about. I know of some people who talk of nothing else but their aliments to anyone who will listen and I will not become one of them
I do not expect cooking programmes to mention sugar alternatives or have special cooking programmes for diabetics or restaurants to offer low carb meals as some people on here in the past have said they should Where would that end anyone who eats any differently to most people would expect to be catered for. Chefs would be going round in circles trying to do meals to suit every taste and diet.
My point is that if gourmet chefs tried using alternative to sugar. Reduce the amount of sugar they would produce healthier food not just for Diabetics but for everyone. Gourmet chefs should be able to make it taste good as well, I think the SUGAR ISSUE is not just about Diabetes but about health in general if you buy for example a tin of custard it has to tell you the amount of sugar used if you go out for a meal why not show approx. amount on menu then we could vote with our choices
N.B. To apply to everything on menu and all ingredient's

Reactions: purplepenguin

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Things that I hate... people being Uber evangelical about THEIR road to success. That’s your journey, pal. Some of us travel along a different road. “You are doing it wrong” truly makes me want to punch someone’s lights out!!! (Which I would count as a cardio work out, by the way!!!)

PS I am addicted to cookery programs!!! We can but dream :)

Yes we all know those as someone said here a little while ago" the born again low carbers"

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Two people have really annoyed me this Christmas. My son-in-law and my best friend - on separate occasions they each said the same thing. That I am no longer diabetic so what I eat no longer matters. I am still diabetic. I only have non-diabetic levels because of what I eat (and don't eat). If I eat the things they suggested my levels would go into orbit. But ..... so would theirs, they said. They couldn't grasp that theirs would come down almost immediately. Mine wouldn't.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My point is that if gourmet chefs tried using alternative to sugar. Reduce the amount of sugar they would produce healthier food not just for Diabetics but for everyone. Gourmet chefs should be able to make it taste good as well, I think the SUGAR ISSUE is not just about Diabetes but about health in general if you buy for example a tin of custard it has to tell you the amount of sugar used if you go out for a meal why not show approx. amount on menu then we could vote with our choices
N.B. To apply to everything on menu and all ingredient's
As someone has already said many recipes would not work without real sugar as alternatives are totally different so do you think the chefs should have to stop making those that need real sugar. We all have a choice diabetics and non diabetics alike no one is forced to eat sugar stuff if they don't want to

Reactions: LouWilk059

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two people have really annoyed me this Christmas. My son-in-law and my best friend - on separate occasions they each said the same thing. That I am no longer diabetic so what I eat no longer matters. I am still diabetic. I only have non-diabetic levels because of what I eat (and don't eat). If I eat the things they suggested my levels would go into orbit. But ..... so would theirs, they said. They couldn't grasp that theirs would come down almost immediately. Mine wouldn't.
Exactly why I do not talk about my diabetes I do not want advice from non diabetics on what they think diabetes is about and what I should eat

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As someone has already said many recipes would not work without real sugar as alternatives are totally different so do you think the chefs should have to stop making those that need real sugar. We all have a choice diabetics and non diabetics alike no one is forced to eat sugar stuff if they don't want to

If people keep eating sugar (and all other carbohydrates) at the rate they are doing then the rate of T2 will only keep rising. It is already being called a pandemic.

Reactions: Alison Campbell