1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

item 1.Things that annoy me

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by bangkokdiabetic, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not been proved that eating sugar and carbs causes diabetes there is far more to it than that

2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I am aware that there is a possibility that there may be a genetic predisposition to T2 that is somehow triggered by diet but other than that the causes are unknown. However, the research is showing that there is a correlation between the spread of the western diet and the rise in T2. As the western diet is super rich in carbs this shows association if not cause.
    It seems to me that a diet rich in carbs does cause harm to T2s and a diet low or lower in carbs is beneficial so there is a case for the western diet to answer.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Well it has certainly been shown that removing those items from our diets seems to provide a plethora of health improvements so I for one will continue reducing them as much as possible.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Crystalwand

Crystalwand Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I get mad about exercise, is the best thing ever, I was a gym bunny, five days a week at three hours a time, ran up five miles a day, lost the weight BG down and very fit, now no gym no running, knee screwed, but low carb and lost the weight BG down, and so much happier, so exercise is not for everyone just saying, oh yes my kids both back at home, love them loads but I don't always like them

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

People who don't actually answer the thread title.:):):)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

People who say the same thing whatever the question

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes we can benefit from lower carbs once we have diabetes but that does not prove they cause diabetes and if people stopped eating them they would not get it at all If only it was that simple a reason and cure would have been found by now. All kinds of people get diabetes it doesn't matter if they eat loads of carbs or not or are overweight or not diabetes does not discriminate

8. smw99

smw99 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Maybe it should be run before each Bake Off programme! I too now find it hard to watch these shows.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  9. purplepenguin

purplepenguin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Another one to add to the annoying list...pharmacy assistants who think they know how I should monitor my diabetes. Just been to collect my strips and some lancets and she said ‘there must be a mistake because you’re type two aren’t you?’ I said I was and then was told I shouldn’t be testing. I then asked for an extra pack that I’d pay for and she said that I shouldn’t be testing that much and that it’s no good testing to see what a mars bar will do because it’ll make sugars high. I lost my temper at that point and said that I was on a low carb diet, hadn’t had any sugar in a very long time and was now cutting the carbs down. She then looked at me in horror so I continued to say that the time I didn’t test regularly my hba1c went up by 20 points from the significant drop I had when I tested.

• Like Like x 2
  10. bulkbiker

Well depending on your definition of cure it kind of has.. don't eat carbs..!
    No-one is looking for a "cure" in dietary changes because there isn't an effective way of monetising it and drugs companies are there to make money....yes it really is that simple.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Um, this might put the cat among the pigeons, but the phrase 'my journey' causes chuntering - I just find it rather precious. Where to, exactly - Scunthorpe? Skeggy? Valhalla?? We're ALL on a journey (with whatever/however/whomsoever to wherever)!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. bulkbiker

ooo I do like Valhalla though.. just not quite yet..

13. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I've been to the domain of the bearded one (Skeggy) quite often it's OK but not fantastic I prefer Mablethorpe.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Skeggy, often and OK!!!!!!!!!! There's 3 words I wouldn't expect to see in one sentence.:):):):):)
    The only thing that changes in Skeggy are the traffic lights.
    Mablethorpe is slightly better I agree.
    Let's not forget the jewel in the crown that is Ingoldmells. Caravan heaven :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:.
    What really annoys is the fact that when we say let's nip to the coast for the day Skeggy is the closest.:banghead::banghead:

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Things that annoy me are close minded extremist. In anything.

We are definitely not the same and therefore shouldn't be treated the same.
    Diabetes has taught me that; more than living and working in multicultural London.

One size definitely doesn't fit all!
    I'm a huge example of that.

I cannot proclaim this enough but still falls on closed ears. Even those who say they do know this.:banghead:

Even I'm guilty of forgetting when I'm grouchy and in pain. :banghead:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. RFSMarch

RFSMarch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This is my favourite quote EVER!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

When I said OK I was trying to be polite, Ingoldmells don't get me started.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. bangkokdiabetic

bangkokdiabetic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

TRY THIS LINK https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-substitute-stevia-for-sugar-in-baking/ I DO NOT BAKE HAVE NOT TRIED IT

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook