Hair loss

Lois_x_x_greener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I’m Lois I’m 10 I was diagnosed in November this year (2017) I have just started losing hair. I read up on it and it said that diabetics get this (alopecia) not just diabetics.

Please tell me if anyone else have ever experienced this

Lois xx

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum. I can't answer your question, sadly, but hang on and I'm sure someone will be here shortly to give you more information. While you are waiting there is a Children and young peoples section in the forum list that you might like to look at. Best wishes.

Lois_x_x_greener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello and welcome to the forum. I can't answer your question, sadly, but hang on and I'm sure someone will be here shortly to give you more information. While you are waiting there is a Children and young peoples section in the forum list that you might like to look at. Best wishes.
Thank you people like you are amazing xxxxxxxxxx

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Lois !! :)
I am so sorry I don't have any proper info on this -- I know you must be worried by losing some hair

I have done some reading and apparently the stress of getting diagnosed can cause both emotional and physical stress -- which can lead to some hair loss ( as you are less than 2 months diagnosed this would make some sense )

the good news is that as you get your Blood sugars under control your hormone system should assist you to grow back the hair
( this is for weeks and a few months -- not just for days )

hopefully you have your mum with you for support and guidance , and your diabetic nurse -- do speak with your nurse for support.

keep posting Lois -- I , along with many others are here to support you

xxx

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lois. I lost hair shortly after a T1D diagnoses. It seemed like a lot as far as a remember. But it soon stopped falling out and quickly returned to normal. Try not to worry.

Reactions: himtoo

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I experienced hair loss when I was diagnosed, although in my case they weren't sure if it was diabetes or vitamin D deficiency causing it. It is a fairly common thing - the body is under a lot of stress when you are diagnosed with type 1, and hair loss is a common consequence of it. Usually, with good control, the hair will partially or fully grow back.

Reactions: Dinet

Lois_x_x_greener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Lois !! :)
I am so sorry I don't have any proper info on this -- I know you must be worried by losing some hair

I have done some reading and apparently the stress of getting diagnosed can cause both emotional and physical stress -- which can lead to some hair loss ( as you are less than 2 months diagnosed this would make some sense )

the good news is that as you get your Blood sugars under control your hormone system should assist you to grow back the hair
( this is for weeks and a few months -- not just for days )

hopefully you have your mum with you for support and guidance , and your diabetic nurse -- do speak with your nurse for support.

keep posting Lois -- I , along with many others are here to support you

xxx
Thank you I will do ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Lois xx

Reactions: himtoo

Lois_x_x_greener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
:watching:
I experienced hair loss when I was diagnosed, although in my case they weren't sure if it was diabetes or vitamin D deficiency causing it. It is a fairly common thing - the body is under a lot of stress when you are diagnosed with type 1, and hair loss is a common consequence of it. Usually, with good control, the hair will partially or fully grow back.
Thank you

Lois xx

Reactions: phdiabetic

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
Hi I’m Lois I’m 10 I was diagnosed in November this year (2017) I have just started losing hair. I read up on it and it said that diabetics get this (alopecia) not just diabetics.

Please tell me if anyone else have ever experienced this

Lois xx

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis and of course you losing your hair! Let me tell you a story - I've always had really long, thick curly hair and months before my diagnosis, my hair was falling out in clumps and by October my hair was completely thin and felt like straw. I got many nasty comments in school and during Christmas, I had my hair cut short. Over a year later, my hair is growing back healthy and is still thickening up! I've also got curly ringlets from when I was a baby coming back! As soon as your blood sugar levels are under control and stable, your hair will start to grow back! Don't stress too much about it :)

Reactions: SueJB and Millymay2

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis and of course you losing your hair! Let me tell you a story - I've always had really long, thick curly hair and months before my diagnosis, my hair was falling out in clumps and by October my hair was completely thin and felt like straw. I got many nasty comments in school and during Christmas, I had my hair cut short. Over a year later, my hair is growing back healthy and is still thickening up! I've also got curly ringlets from when I was a baby coming back! As soon as your blood sugar levels are under control and stable, your hair will start to grow back! Don't stress too much about it :)
Thanks so much for this little story. The consultant told me there was no link between my straw hair fall out and my diabetes.I'm heartened to read this so thanks again

AashnaKB_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Lois, I was diagnosed at 9 (7 years ago) and shortly after, a lot of my hair fell out too. It did grow back very soon after (this time, thicker and curlier) and it now looks the same as my mum - before diagnosis it was straight and thinner. Hang in there and I hope you're feeling alot better after diagnosis