Travelling with a pump

claire91

Good morning All,
I was speaking to another pump user and they informed me when they go abroad they do not put their medication in their hand luggage but a medical bag as well as their hand luggage. Does anybody else do this? Thankyou

Last edited:

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It depends on the airline. It's best to give them a call and find out what their policy is.

D

Deleted Account

I fly a lot via different airlines and have never used a “medical bag”.
I don’t think I really know what one is.

However, I would highlight that the airlines have never paid any attention to my diabetes kit (or any contents of my hand luggage): it is only the airport security. So if you want confirmation, I would contact the departing airport rather than airline.

A

Australia 1

I fly a lot via different airlines and have never used a “medical bag”.
I don’t think I really know what one is.

However, I would highlight that the airlines have never paid any attention to my diabetes kit (or any contents of my hand luggage): it is only the airport security. So if you want confirmation, I would contact the departing airport rather than airline.

I am a 16 Hour Transpacific Flyer Type 1 and Cancer Patient and take a heap of Meds and Insulin pens and no Airline has ever bothered me. If I have Narcotic,s I have my GP wrote a letter to the Security people at the Countries involved. Airlines do not want any trouble with Diabetes because of there health and Safety of the Aircraft.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When Ryanair/easyjet only allow 1 item of hand luggage they can be a bit more flexible to allow passengers requiring medical gubbins to take on a second bag into the cabin. This means I don't have to struggle to fit my handbag into my suitcase if I tell them I'm type 1, and my handbag does have all my pump gubbins and hypo treatments in it that I'm going to, potentially, require access to during the flight, so I'm ok with that.

Reactions: tircoed

claire91

When Ryanair/easyjet only allow 1 item of hand luggage they can be a bit more flexible to allow passengers requiring medical gubbins to take on a second bag into the cabin. This means I don't have to struggle to fit my handbag into my suitcase if I tell them I'm type 1, and my handbag does have all my pump gubbins and hypo treatments in it that I'm going to, potentially, require access to during the flight, so I'm ok with that.
So with Ryanair do you take your hand luggage and another bag aswell?

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I take a small rucksack with all my diabetes stuff and my other meds and my cabin case. You need to email them via their medical assistance address or do an on line chat to get a waiver letter. ( which nobody ever looks at!)

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I fly with Easyjet, hand luggage only I take an extra medical bag. Easyjet only allow you one bag so you can't have any handbag etc only your small suitcase, so I take an extra 18L rucksack with my pump supplies in, at the desk I just tell them it's a medical bag, and it's no problem, obviously I could open it and show them what is in it and when I phoned they said I should have a hospital letter, which I do, but I have not been asked to open bag, or show letter so far. As I also have a twisted knee and am using a stick at the moment they also tend to put you though speedy boarding!