Type I treatment

D

Deleted Account

Our bodies need insulin.
With type 1, our body has decided to destroy all the cells that create insulin. Therefore, we have to provide it with the insulin it requires.
Unfortunately, digestive acids destroy insulin which is why it is not taken in oral form.

When we are first diagnosed with type 1, there are likely to be some insulin producing cells still left within our body. We call this the "honeymoon period". Unfortunately, our body finally gets around to destroying them too. There has been some research into prolonging the honeymoon period but I am not aware of any that has managed to prolong this period for ever.

There have been some attempts to transplant insulin producing cells which have been met with differing levels of success but all require heaps of anti-rejection drugs after very serious surgery.

There are methods to reduce the amount of insulin you need such as reducing carbs and increasing exercise.

But why are you asking? Do you have a problem with taking insulin.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @NeyDia ,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Where are you approximately geographically located? How long have you been diabetic?

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is there any other form of treatment for type I other than insulin injections? and Insulin pumps?

No, and be wary of anyone who says there is - you are replacing a hormone your body requires to function but can no longer produce. You cannot live without insulin, period. If your body can produce it, great. If you have type 1 and it no longer can, you have to inject it. The only alternative at this time is death. As for insulin pumps, they are a great advancement in diabetes treatment but certainly not the only or best option for everyone. New basal insulins created after the year 2000 (Lantus, Levemir, Tresiba) as well as insulin pens that can dose in half units have made it much easier to treat with injections.

NeyDia

Our bodies need insulin.
With type 1, our body has decided to destroy all the cells that create insulin. Therefore, we have to provide it with the insulin it requires.
Unfortunately, digestive acids destroy insulin which is why it is not taken in oral form.

When we are first diagnosed with type 1, there are likely to be some insulin producing cells still left within our body. We call this the "honeymoon period". Unfortunately, our body finally gets around to destroying them too. There has been some research into prolonging the honeymoon period but I am not aware of any that has managed to prolong this period for ever.

There have been some attempts to transplant insulin producing cells which have been met with differing levels of success but all require heaps of anti-rejection drugs after very serious surgery.

There are methods to reduce the amount of insulin you need such as reducing carbs and increasing exercise.

But why are you asking? Do you have a problem with taking insulin.
Yes my daughter is 7 years old and injecting her daily 3 times a day is very difficult

D

Deleted Account

Yes my daughter is 7 years old and injecting her daily 3 times a day is very difficult
Have you had a look at the Children & Teens sub-forum?
I am sure you and your daughter are not alone with your problem and there may be some great advice there.