Injecting through clothing???

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys on the 30/70 regime i was using the ole insulin bottle and syringe so would never dream of injecting in public and or through clothes.

Anyway does anyone inject through clothes?

Is it hygienic I mean clothes have some germs etc on them anyway?
Does it blunten the needle?
And the most important question does it leave holes in nice expensive tops and jeans?

Cheers guys.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No it's not hygienic and yes it does blunt the needle and make it hurt slightly more.

I didn't even realise it was an option until someone told me not to do it.

...hurhurhur... :)

D

Deleted Account

The advice I have always been given is not to inject through clothing.
I think the main reason is that it blunts the needles.

That said, on a cold day, when I am in a rush, I have injected through a thin top (or tights ... but I am not sure if this is relevant to you) and not caused any holes.
I would never try to inject through something thick like jeans: the needles are not that strong.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Inject through t-shirts definitely. Just beware that injecting through a light coloured t-shirt will inevitably result in a slight bleed after injecting. It's just Sod's law.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject through my shirt regularly. Definitely not hygienic but very convenient. Then again, I don't wash my hands before eating, I walk barefoot about everywhere, I eat food over the date when it looks and smells good and I don't think I own any disinfectants. So maybe don't use me as an example.
And I have no idea about holes. Never noticed them in my cheap shirts. I don't think I would inject trough jeans though.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Until I moved to a pump I almost always injected through clothes for 40 odd years. You do need fresh needles, even in the early days of white water kayaking I injected through my wet suit if it was needed, in later days have also done so through a dry suit too although I'm sure it didn't help my dry suit keeping me dry but never really noticed it being worse.

Disclaimer - I would not recommend others follow my poor example ;-)

Reactions: jon1980

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1-Cruel-Intentions-quotes.gif

Reactions: Dodo

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I Never have and have never considered it. Mostly I inject at home so not a problem. On the odd occasion when I have to inject in public if I cant find a discrete cornet etc. I usually do it sitting down at dinning table table hides whats going on undo 2 shirt buttons near my navel pinch skin and inject in stomach fat. Normally use thigh

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She's cute!!!

Oh and thanks, will give it a go on cheaper items!!!!

Sarah Michelle Gellar, from the movie "Cruel intentions." (Ironically.)

Lol I've never on 40 odd years gone through clothing intentionally.. But I have caught a slipping lifted tee & bent or blunted the odd needle..
The microfine jobbies don't take to kindly to an obstacle course IMO.

Reactions: Struma

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never gone thru clothing in 33 years, but same as Jaylee above have snagged needles on t shirts or bottoms, I tend to wear baggy clothes probably for that reason, it's easier to drop a pair of joggers than unbelt & unbutton a pair of Levis :) .

Back in the early days it was a nuisance eating out with syringes & bottles but these pens, for a bloke at least are pretty discrete, and if I do get stared at then a glare back over my glasses usually does the trick :p

Edit, going through clothes must give you fair chance of putting materiel under your skin picked up by the needle tip.

Last edited:

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never even though of doing that, not even once. Just lift up your shirt. I've never had anyone comment on my doing an injection in a restaurant. And I'm waiting to dress down the first dude who does lol!

Reactions: Dodo and Struma

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have actually never thought of that or even considered injecting through clothing & i didnt even know people do it !!

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it a girl thing? I would have to get most of the way undressed in order to get at either my legs or my stomach right now. This would mean carrying a screen to get changed behind, and that's more equipment than I am willing to dedicate to this situation.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I inject through thin layers of clothing, like leggings, tights or blouses, but avoid jeans and thick tops. If you change your needle every time it's fine and I've never had an issue with it.

Reactions: Dodo

bluebeach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What an issue, serious anyway. In Hungary doctors told even to disinfect before, if possible. Finally we are in Europe, we have the options to do so. On the other hand when I mesure my blood glucose, usually I did not disinfect, despite using the public transport for examp.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This very websites opinion -

"Is it possible to inject insulin through clothing?
There are several reasons why injecting insulin through clothing is a bad idea, however convenient it may seem. Both syringes and pens are lubricated in order to make them as painless as possible. Clothing can remove this lubrication, meaning injections can be more painful.

Clothing is not sterile, and substances on the clothing may contaminate the needle and at its worst this can lead to infection. Furthermore, clothing can damage the effectiveness of the needle by dulling the tip.

Possibly most seriously, clothing restricts your view of the injection site, leaving the patient unaware of the effectiveness of their injection. "

Edit, I've been trying to think of a witty analogy for this, but the closest I'm getting is thinking about emptying a paper punch and removing the punched holes....

Last edited: