Finger testing-Tried everything

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

This is my first post but a serious one. I need help!!! I have been asked to test my BG, 6 times a day (I know its not a lot) the biggest problem is that I suffer from hyper sensitivity and even with a 33gauge one touch delica, im in pain, while testing and after testing.

So far I have brought Emla and orajel to numb my fingers (no luck) I have iced, used cold water and warm water but its still painful. My lancing machine is on number one. After spending the weekend going through threads, I have found no answer.
I don't want a reply that it doesn't hurt after 16 year or that I don't feel it anymore (Love you guys but this is different). I would like some help and advice from people on how to copy. I've tried breathing, fingers on the side of the table, doing it on my palm ( got told off about this), Lidocaine, benzocaine, freeze spray:cyclops:, the pain is still there and also afterwards.

Please if your Hypersensitive and have found a way to test, then help me. I'm at the point that Im sick of crying and can not yet afford the Libre.

Please help.:arghh:

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi NaijaChick, i recommend trying different brand or type of lancet. Maybe you setting the lancet depth too deep but i blame the lancet type if you having pain with it. The funny thing is the lancet is more painful than my 4mm insulin needle and if you still having trouble maybe you can google Tiniboy lancets.I heard it way less painful ( i do hope it is because i poke 12 times a day).

D

Deleted Account

Very sorry to read about your finger pricking problems.
I am not hyper sensitive but still try to avoid inflicting too much pain on myself when testing so have a few suggestions:
- where do you prick your finger? Most of the promotional pictures show the pricker in the middle of the fleshy part of the finger. This is the most sensitive. Have you tried pricking to the side?
- is it only your fingers that are sensitive? I have read about parents taking readings from their babies feet (I know it is not always convenient to remove your shoes and socks but this may help first thing in the morning and last thing at night). Alternatively, some meters/prickers have an attachment that allows you to take blood from your arm. I think you may have to make an adjustment to the reading if you do this.
- you mention you have tried putting your hands in warm water beforehand. Have you tried warming you fingers on a very hot cup of tea/coffee? I have Reynaud's which means when my fingers are cold, I do not have enough blood in my fingers and it really hurts to extract what is there. So, I try to warm my hands first.
- are you able to exercise beforehand? This gets your blood pumping and may ease the pain.

Sorry if none of the above are helpful.
Good luck and don't give up - it is incredibly useful to know your BG if you are trying to manage your diabetes.

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
1. Try alternate sites - other parts of your finger or fleshy part of thumb.
2. Try a higher setting - being too tentative may make taking a sample difficult and require multiple attempts hurting more,
punching through may actually hurt less.
3. Try using Gateway theory of pain - you can only typically feel only one source of pain at a time, my Dentist pinches my cheek
when injecting anaesthetic as a distraction to the needle going in. Perhaps a tourniquet or pinching another finger will distract.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1. Try alternate sites - other parts of your finger or fleshy part of thumb.
2. Try a higher setting - being too tentative may make taking a sample difficult and require multiple attempts hurting more,
punching through may actually hurt less.
3. Try using Gateway theory of pain - you can only typically feel only one source of pain at a time, my Dentist pinches my cheek
when injecting anaesthetic as a distraction to the needle going in. Perhaps a tourniquet or pinching another finger will distract.
Distraction pain works for me when donating blood: I find the most painful bit of the whole procedure is the finger prick at the beginning, even though they prick the side. I've found that if I press my thumbnail hard into a finger (I realise this may be awkward with 'self-pricking') I don't feel the lancet. This also works at the dentist when I'm having an injection.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the lancets. I have used some where I spent the next bit of time barely able to touch anything because my finger was so sensitive. Currently I use the accu-check fast clix and love it. One thing I really like about it is that it requires no thought or coordination. I can do it right or left handed. I just pick it up and press the button. My strategy is to do it fast before I can think about it. This lancet also doesn’t require any prep, i.e. foil to remove, plastic cap to remove, spring to reset, etc., so it lets me be mindless when I stick myself. That seems to decrease my pain response since I don’t anticipate it.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look into the Genteel lancing device. Dr Bernstein recommends it for painless lancing for children:

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you to everyone for responding. I tried the pain distraction method and was left with a bruise I can not find the multiclix on Amazon, it’s been discontinued. The Mygenteel review on Yoytube was by a lady with hypersensitivity and it still hurt her, she said that she spoke to the doctor that designed it & he said that it won’t work if your hypersensitive I’m good no to call my DN and let them know I’m having serious issues.