Any type 1s that don't often inject?

Scarjaws

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My question is more rather that does anyone not need to inject? Basically I work 5/6 days a week and my job is pretty hands on, I'm a general builder and I don't actually have to take insulin at work unless I have a takeaway or a really really big lunch, however when I'm at home it's a different story and I literally have to inject when I eat sandwich, just wondering if there's anyone else who has the same "problem" (can't think of the right word) and if anyone has any idea as to why it happens?

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
More then likely the answer is exercise when I work a really busy night shift I barely have a need to inject because I am constantly moving and exercise can lower blood sugar so that is the most logical explanation

D

Deleted Account

When you undertake exercise, such as the work you do as a builder, your body becomes more efficient at using insulin.
As a result, you need less ... maybe to the extent that your basal insulin is sufficient ... or, more likely, the basal is soaking up the carbs you are eating.
I think you are recently diagnosed so you are probably in the honeymoon phase needing less insulin at the moment.
This is likely to change as more and more insulin producing cells are killed off, so keep a eye on your BG as you may find you need insulin in the future.

Scarjaws

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the info, I do keep an eye on them and I still test every time before I eat just in case

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
How long have you been on insulin? You maybe approaching your honeymoon.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can go for hours with my pump turned off sometimes, combination of honeymoon and exercise. You have nothing to worry about - since your long acting is in your system, you're not risking DKA. Do continue to test as you have been doing, it is always a good thing to know what's happening with your levels.

scorpius14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
used to inject twice a day, but lack of income resulted in eating habits changing so i'm not certain what I have to eat but always inject the same amount which is 26 units of the mixed insulin so that it doesn't go high by itself, maybe it will be good for my blood glucose in a more controlled way

Reactions: NaijaChick

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
used to inject twice a day, but lack of income resulted in eating habits changing so i'm not certain what I have to eat but always inject the same amount which is 26 units of the mixed insulin so that it doesn't go high by itself, maybe it will be good for my blood glucose in a more controlled way
I sympathise with your situation, but you if you are Type 1 it’s most important that you are properly guided and monitored. I would suggest you see your GP or Diabetic Nurse ASAP.

Reactions: Bananas 2

Hawkey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot
I’m the same .When I’m working go without ,even get low .Get home and have my tea and watch telly and I might need some .Always do my night time one .

Hawkey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot
Just to mention I test regularly all day and I’m on metformin twice a day .Seeing the nurse tomorrow,think I’m honeymooning too .

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi..You didn’t mention the type of insulin(s) you use. The times you inject base insulin, have lunch and get home (and eat that sandwich).

Your text reads as if your base insulin has just about run out when you get home. Try a grilled KFC chicken breast instead of a sandwich (zero carbs) and see if it makes a difference

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember our bodies don't produce any insulin. But we need insulin to break down our food and feed our cells the energy they need. So it's still important to take insulin regularly...

But, also take expert advice on what I've just said

Hawkey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot
I’m type 1 but only diagnosed on 4th January.

Hawkey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot
No @miszu I have novo rapid usually four times a day and a long acting one at night .I still take metformin in the morning and evening.Ive recently found that during the day when I’m working hard ,that my BG is low enough not to have my rapid before lunch .Im seeing the nurse tomorrow morning so I’m sure she will sort me out .My BGs have gone right down recently ,sometimes so low I have to eat but by morning right up again. I’m still trying to get it right .

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I have novo rapid usually four times a day and a long acting one at night .I still take metformin in the morning and evening.Ive recently found that during the day when I’m working hard ,that my BG is low enough not to have my rapid before lunch .Im seeing the nurse tomorrow morning so I’m sure she will sort me out .My BGs have gone right down recently ,sometimes so low I have to eat but by morning right up again. I’m still trying to get it right .
I was getting jealous for a sec! It takes long to balance everything, but it ll become just a habit after then. Good luck at ur doctor! ;)

ps. Welcome to our community!

Reactions: Hawkey

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am now in my fourth year as a type 1. And most of the time still just use 10 units of Lantus at evening. I also have a job as a electrical technician and I do move around all the time. I also tend to go low at my job. I have eaten low carb since diagnosis and my HBA1c have been between 4.9% and 5.4% ever since getting them down. I will never ever go high carb again