degrading

Pammy_50

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was invited to attend dwp ESA assessment has I am presently claiming contribution based ESA.
I am recovering from pancreatic tumour my spleen Dudeonal gland and part of the stomach was removed also my gallbladder the tumour was very large hence organs removed.
Due to no longer having a pancreas I am now type 1 insulin dependent diabetes which I struggle with daily newly diagnosed.
I attended assessment centre to be greeted by a receptionist who proceeded to tell me I had the same t shirt on has another client she further proceed to inform me she had attempted to contact me but I had provided wrong number at this point she started to ring my number shouting see wrong number I asked my sister who had supported me to assessment to ring my number which she did and of course it rang all this was being conducted in front of a full waiting room.
After sitting in waiting room for 3 and half hours to be told I won't be seen today and to go away no explanation given I asked why response was I don't need to tell you and proceed to give me another appointment for end of may.
I was made to feel degraded I had struggled to attended and on that day my glucose levels were really low.
I really can't put myself through that again so thinking of not claiming £73:10 a week not worth I was so tearful I struggle daily with the impact of the surgery has had on my life only to be treated with disrespect.
Sorry for the rant

Pammy_50

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Pammy_50 oh dear that's dreadful! I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Please persevere. Don't let this dreadful lady who was so rude intimidate you. Is there anyone who you can complain too.
Thank you for your kind words mo53 I contacted dwp office only to be told put it in writing no empathy shown for anyone who struggles with illness of any kind.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear of the way you've been treated @Pammy_50; I'd definitely send a letter of complaint about this abuse. The receptionist probably won't have known about your illness, but that's no excuse; the behaviour was completely unacceptable. When you write, ask for a copy of their complaints procedure so that you can pursue it futher if needed.

I agree with RosieLKH above, send a copy to your MP - remember there's an election on 8th June, so they may be more motivated to do something to help quite quickly.

Did she deign to explain why she had tried to contact you?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I really can't put myself through that again so thinking of not claiming £73:10 a week not worth I was so tearful I struggle daily with the impact of the surgery has had on my life only to be treated with disrespect.
@Pammy_50 That is a terrible way to treat anyone, especially someone who isn't well. I think though that you should persevere and get whatever you are entitled to. It seems that DWP assessments are aimed at discouraging people from claiming anything.
As the others have said, I think you should complain to your MP. You should also contact your local Citizen's Advice Bureau who might be able to help.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm told that I have a wicked way with people unfortunate enough to be rude to me - but I don't really do it on purpose, though I am worse when I have an audience.
Same tee shirt? You do realise that I am not the same person?
Wrong phone number? Can I borrow your crayon and I will write it again in big clear numbers for you.
To go away and return for another appointment weeks away? Is that really the best you can do?
Yes it is. It must be terrible to be unable to do your job in the way you'd like, because of underfunding. It must make you feel so bad that you have to treat people this way.
And so on.
Do remember it is your right to have that money - and don't put yourself at a disadvantage by not managing your blood glucose levels closely.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so sorry this has happened to you. Please persevere and claim what you are entitled to.

My one visit to the local dwp office (or whatever it was called 20 years ago) was similar to yours. I was told I should have made an appointment (how would I know this?). The first person I saw couldn't deal with me and I felt thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed as there were other people listening. The person who finally saw me didn't smile once and assumed I was there to con them out of money. I was there to tell them both my parents had died and I wanted to make sure they didn't send any more pension payments to their bank accounts. Only at the very end of the interview was I treated with any compassion at all. So don't take this personally.

If you can have as assessment at home as @ickihun suggests this would be easier for you. Also, you have made the effort to go to them and they were less than helpful, so it's their turn to make the effort now.

Good luck with getting what is yours by right. :)

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Having just been through a similar experience to renew my Blue Badge when the letter for PIP came through I could not face the degradation again so I told them I wasn't going to claim, they said if I didn't claim then because of my age I would have to claim Carers allowance should I need it in the future. to be honest I couldn't face that either, so though I must admit I do miss the money, and I know pride comes before a fall, but I don't miss the hassle or the feeling I'm being judged a scrounger.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having just been through a similar experience to renew my Blue Badge when the letter for PIP came through I could not face the degradation again so I told them I wasn't going to claim, they said if I didn't claim then because of my age I would have to claim Carers allowance should I need it in the future. to be honest I couldn't face that either, so though I must admit I do miss the money, and I know pride comes before a fall, but I don't miss the hassle or the feeling I'm being judged a scrounger.
That's terrible, I really feel for you. You shouldn't have to miss out on what is rightfully yours, but I understand why you feel this way.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, if you need to claim in the future you would have to claim Attendance Allowance not Carers Allowance unless you are also caring for a disabled person in which case claim both.

Thanks for putting me right Allison, I knew it was one or the other for me.......and yes I do care for my hubs..........I blame my confusion on a Senior Moment.....:bag:

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
An absolutely disgraceful and unnecessary way to deal with a person. If it were anywhere else they would get the sack, it's so depressing when this sort of thing happens. It seems that some in the admin department forget that they are dealing with real human beings who have been through quite a lot already. Hope you can get things sorted quickly.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I wonder if its like once so many has been awarded per day others have no chance?
My partner had to take it to tribunal. Only because he had help from MIND otherwise it wouldnt have happened.
Its scary that a bullying system has put so many off and forced into trying to hold down a job when they aren't in the right mind.
My brother-in-law drives to work with suicidal thoughts. So I've heard.
What is this world trying to prove? We should be all robots?

Reactions: gvintagedrken

Pammy_50

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am so sorry this has happened to you. Please persevere and claim what you are entitled to.

My one visit to the local dwp office (or whatever it was called 20 years ago) was similar to yours. I was told I should have made an appointment (how would I know this?). The first person I saw couldn't deal with me and I felt thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed as there were other people listening. The person who finally saw me didn't smile once and assumed I was there to con them out of money. I was there to tell them both my parents had died and I wanted to make sure they didn't send any more pension payments to their bank accounts. Only at the very end of the interview was I treated with any compassion at all. So don't take this personally.

If you can have as assessment at home as @ickihun suggests this would be easier for you. Also, you have made the effort to go to them and they were less than helpful, so it's their turn to make the effort now.

Good luck with getting what is yours by right. :)
Thank you so much for your kind message I have attempted to request for home visit only to be informed not possible has attended prior to request.
Dreading may 24th new assessment date x

Reactions: gvintagedrken

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pammy_50 please keep posting , especially as we get nearer the time as we all wish you well. That is a very long time to wait for you next appointment.